GDT: Caps host Yotes 1:00 PM

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Dowd's absence is vividly showing how the PK and 4th line are not playing as well. Lindgren has some justified blame on that 3rd goal too! It was a shot I think he was capable of stopping! He shifted his weight too much to his stick-side to cover the near-post angle and didn't have his right-handed glove ready.

If Lindgren makes that save, maybe the 4th line doesn't get benched for so long after that 3rd Coyotes goal!

Goaltending can be such an x-factor in coaching decisions...

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I rescind that! Game Puck goes to TWABBY! For throwing the advanced stats out the door for only today! And for TODAY ONLY, looking correct that Tom Wilson should have been traded, as he's played like a dumb dumb today! :naughty::laugh:
Twabby, you okay? You seemed totally shocked! Do you need some therapy? :naughty::laugh:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
John Carlson: On Friday's wrap around goal that was game winner, the Scarecrow had a brain, but today the Scarecrow lost his brain again on 4th Coyotes goal!

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
This team can’t handle speed, and even crappy teams like Arizona are a bad matchup for us because we are so slow.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Wilson and Carlson getting called for abuse of officials is the least surprising thing. They have been captains of whining all season.

Not like this was their most important game of the season to date or anything. Why should we expect leadership out of an alternate captain and a guy signed to be their next captain?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think Wilson has been good all year. And he has taken some really dumb penalties to put the team in a bad position. Maybe it has something to do with not fitting in Carbery system, not sure, but the guy has not looked good all year.
Dreaded fat cat disease feared may be kicking in - but it may just be a system thing or maybe just being neutered by the league and can't play his game. Mantha will joining him in fat cat land after inking his next deal.

We suck but never read too much into a Sunday afternoon hangover helper snoozer.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
This game is probably an example of threading the needle trying to compete with legacy players does not work. In this NHL speed matters.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

Doesn't Carberry think he has something to do with the entire team not showing up to the game (i.e. not allowing Arizona to touch the puck for 4 minutes and completely falling apart right after that)? Or maybe that he should respond in some way when 2 vice-captains take back to back undisciplined penalties? Or his half-AHL roster trying to out-finesse their opponents with little intensity or physicality in the offensive zone until the last 5 minutes?

It seems he is incredibly patient and forgiving with certain veterans who aren't actually leading by example (Kuznetsov was the most blatant example, but far from the only one) and very strict with the AHL call-ups whom he's 'very proud of'. He benches our only energy line for a mistake (and yes, it was a bad mistake from bad players), but doesn't really reacts to bad plays from, say, McMichael (not to sound like a hater, but his inaccurate passes and overholding the puck are so infuriating).

Also, if we take away Ovechkin's last 4-minute shift (half PP, half ES), he played less on ES than Milano, Protas, Pacioretty, Lapierre. All this in a game when we trailed for 50 minutes. I'm not a promising NHL head coach, but I'm not sure how does Carberry want to win if he plays forwards who are both very average playmakers and can't really score on NHL level. And then sends a 38 year old out to spend the last 5 minutes without changing in a hail Mary attempt to save the day.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Doesn't Carberry think he has something to do with the entire team not showing up to the game (i.e. not allowing Arizona to touch the puck for 4 minutes and completely falling apart right after that)? Or maybe that he should respond in some way when 2 vice-captains take back to back undisciplined penalties? Or his half-AHL roster trying to out-finesse their opponents with little intensity or physicality in the offensive zone until the last 5 minutes?

It seems he is incredibly patient and forgiving with certain veterans who aren't actually leading by example (Kuznetsov was the most blatant example, but far from the only one) and very strict with the AHL call-ups whom he's 'very proud of'. He benches our only energy line for a mistake (and yes, it was a bad mistake from bad players), but doesn't really reacts to bad plays from, say, McMichael (not to sound like a hater, but his inaccurate passes and overholding the puck are so infuriating).

Also, if we take away Ovechkin's last 4-minute shift (half PP, half ES), he played less on ES than Milano, Protas, Pacioretty, Lapierre. All this in a game when we trailed for 50 minutes. I'm not a promising NHL head coach, but I'm not sure how does Carberry want to win if he plays forwards who are both very average playmakers and can't really score on NHL level. And then sends a 38 year old out to spend the last 5 minutes without changing in a hail Mary attempt to save the day.

I don't disagree on Kuznetsov.

But on your point as to why our energy line was benched... i don't disagree with that decision. Carberry is a coach that allows mistakes. He knows shit happens. But at some point you need to send a message. That line was absolutely brutal last night. Rest of the lines were bad too but that line was still the worst. That glaring mistake was only the nail in the coffin for them.

They were the only line not to generate a high-dancer scoring chance 5-on-5.

They were the only line not to generate a scoring chance 5-on-5.

Corsi numbers for the game: 0-6. Scoring chances 0-3 for that line.

They laid an egg. It happens. Time to move on.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

Can only squeeze so much from a sponge before it's dry.

Also, don't think anyone mentioned Cueball aka Blaine Forsythe's PP having it's way with us. LOL

Finally, don't buy the 'afternoon game' blues on here. For 1 team, it was 11am and they could of scored 3 or 4 more goals than us.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Can we put the “playoff” talk to bed now? We need to find a trade partner for Mantha.
Both. Make the trades of pending UFA’s and Dowd (and if extreme value for Chucky or Jensen). We can’t get rid of all of them and we’re not dumping for heck of it, so more about moving pending UFA’s not coming back and high ransom for others.

I’ll still be rooting for the youngins to push for a playoff spot versus just folding. may not have the talent, but hopefully the heart.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection

Carbery has used benching as a technique the entire season... one bad mistake and boom you're not seeing the last 10 of a period/gm (yes, it's mostly for the young'ns)

we just had a 6-2-2 L10 (.700 pts % ) as a team that's been stuck under .550 for a long time
I guess it's easy to ignore the good and focus on the bad (it's a trademark here)

ARI finally got off the snide the gm before and were feeling good, riding high and had a giddyup in their step, good for them

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
But on your point as to why our energy line was benched... i don't disagree with that decision. Carberry is a coach that allows mistakes. He knows shit happens. But at some point you need to send a message. That line was absolutely brutal last night. Rest of the lines were bad too but that line was still the worst. That glaring mistake was only the nail in the coffin for them.

They were the only line not to generate a high-dancer scoring chance 5-on-5.

They were the only line not to generate a scoring chance 5-on-5.

Corsi numbers for the game: 0-6. Scoring chances 0-3 for that line.
I don't know if a very important game during a strategy-deciding week is a good time to teach the boys a lesson. Rotating 3 lines in a crucial moment is fine when it's done to increase the stronger lines ice time, but I'm not a fan of Carberry trying to 'send a message' and throwing the guys under the bus afterwards when the whole team had a very underwhelming game.

Yes, they stood out in a bad way. They are the 4th line, our worst forwards. Sgarbossa is 31 and still hasn't accumulated a full season of career NHL games. I don't understand what sitting for a period and roasting in a media will teach them. Take a timeout if you see the guys are making bad mistakes. Get them a couple of non-D-zone starts. Help them instead of trying to discipline them.

Once again, I may be blatantly wrong, but from the other side of the globe it looks like rookie coaching that doesn't necessarily help the team. Same for Carberry's obsession with splitting zone starts resulting in 15-second shifts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad