Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Burakovsky-Eller-Connolly
AJF-Stephenson-DSP
Walker

Orlov-Niskanen
Kempny-Carlson
Djoos-Bowey/UFA (Orpik again if COL buys him out?)

Holtby
Copley/Samsonov

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
So, the Caps can re-sign everybody and should be what, maybe about 2M under the cap? Which they can spend on a vet D for the bottom pair, etc.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Kind of interesting timing. I wonder if it's too late for the Hershey coaching search? Does Reirden already have His Guys lined up provided he gets the nod?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I can see it now.

John, Wilson, and GMBM sitting in a room, Brooks walks in, strikes a match and lights his cigar

giphy.gif

Last edited:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Carly 8
Willy 4
Kempner 2.7
Beags 2
Devo 1.5
Bowey 900k
Boyd 900k

And you have 1.2 in the cap space.
So you can sign Orpik to be the 6th/7th guy.

+ If Carly signs at 7.5 and Willy get the same contract as Eller, you can add an another million.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Not flattering...
Not so much, no. I wasn't sure what he did there. I was thinking more for Hershey than Washington in part because of the name and also because of some of his success with Seattle/WHL. Probably too conventional, though. There should be better options out there.

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
We are all hopeful and optimistic that Carlson resigns. But what if he doesn’t? What should GMBM do then?

Last edited:

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Hahah I can't get over how pleased I still am about this Grubauer/Orpik trade. Woke up this morning and I was like, "Holy mackerel, that totally happened for real last night!!!"

Bloated contract aside, I was a big fan of what Orpik brought to the team, both on and off the ice. Totally understand the pressing need to clear up cap space for Carlson, and why Orpik was the #1 choice to go. It all makes good sense to me, and I'm honestly surprised GMBM was able to pull the deal off with COL, with such favorable terms for each team--and even for Orpik, who will likely get bought out (still get most of that $$$) and then re-signed by another (playoff-likely) team looking for depth. I doubt it will be the Caps, because he can probably get more $$$/term from someone else, but yeah. It just works out for everyone, and that's kind of rare.

Jun 15, 2007
I don't think the Caps should do this but they could trade Burakovsky to EDM for a pick and if they don't re-sign Orpik they'll have 6m left still after signing Carlson, Wilson, Kempny, DSP.

6m could let us sign a very good player.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't think the Caps should do this but they could trade Burakovsky to EDM for a pick and if they don't re-sign Orpik they'll have 6m left still after signing Carlson, Wilson, Kempny, DSP.

6m could let us sign a very good player.

Caps would still need a 3rd line wing and a reliable bottom-pair D. I doubt they could find a real upgrade over a Bura+Orpik combo -- and those guys are already integrated into the team, Bura will still be an RFA next year, etc. The UFAs don't look particularly intriguing, either.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Slightly OT, but the contrast of HF Boards basically breaking with every click to them now trying to offer a "premium" membership is hilarious to me. Why don't we work on making a site that functions before I pay for ads to go away.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I keep seeing AJF in these proposed lineups for next year. I don't think he is going to spend most of the year in the NHL. I expect him to spend most of it in Hershey

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Burakovsky-Eller-Connolly
AJF-Stephenson-DSP
Walker

Orlov-Niskanen
Kempny-Carlson
Djoos-Bowey/UFA (Orpik again if COL buys him out?)

Holtby
Copley/Samsonov
Can't for the life of me recall who this AJF I keep seeing is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad