Post-Game Talk: Caps/Habs Preseason Game 2 -- 730pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
So Shaw is suspended 3 preseason games. Doesn't lose any pay. That's a blessing for a vet, doesn't have to play in a meaningless game.

Way to go NHL, lets send the right message. I also love how if somebody gets hurt is a factor in the suspension. :shakehead

Another DOPS special. :facepalm:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
some here definitely need to be patient with Connolly, that's a very small sample size, he has a tool box to work with. He'll pick it up. They signed him for a reason.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's hard to get excited about Connolly. He's 24 years old and in his prime already. Despite getting prime minutes alongside Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand for much of last season (two of the best forwards in the league), Connolly only managed a meager 25 points. On top of that, Tampa Bay and Steve Yzerman decided they saw enough of him to let him go to Boston prior to that, and I think very highly of Yzerman and the Lightning in terms of talent evaluation. I don't really see him being a factor for this team.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm willing to give Connolly a shot. He's got a good wrister and is willing to compete hard, so there's a chance he can kind find chemistry somewhere in the line-up. Most Bruins fans hold the opinion he was a bit snakebit last year, and his goal totals suffered because of the amount of posts he hit. Given that this team isn't going to go out and get another top 9 forward at this point, it's worth seeing what Connolly can bring. It's doubtful he's any worse than Galiev, and is certainly a more well rounded player than Galiev is. Even better if they can teach BC10 to be an effective penalty killer.

That being said, Connolly definitely seems like a "third wheel" type of player who isn't going to be a catalyst on a line.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
some here definitely need to be patient with Connolly, that's a very small sample size, he has a tool box to work with. He'll pick it up. They signed him for a reason.
He has some tools to work with...I'm not so sure he has the toolbox. If he had the toolbox I doubt Boston would have moved on so quickly. It's not like they're exactly brimming with NHL forwards currently. He does finish his checks so I could see him sticking at 4RW in the event that Wilson is on a scoring-line. Otherwise I don't expect much and even the physicality wasn't enough for Boston to keep him around. He's also not been good defensively over his NHL career thus far so if he's even going to stick as a fourth-liner that's an area he'll need to improve upon (albeit mostly against softer competition probably). I don't think his skating is quite fluid enough to project him as a PKer.

I'm not so sure he's a better scoring-line player than Galiev and both probably don't deserve to be on one with the sort of expectations and goals the Caps have. They'll let it play out but I wouldn't be surprised if the vacant scoring-line wing spot rotates quite often. That'll be easier to do on the third line, as some of the current lines combinations suggest rather than putting Williams there and creating a hole higher in the lineup.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I believe Connolly has a lot to offer the bottom 6 in Washington. One poster said he's in his prime but he's only entering his prime. I expect him to turn heads sooner than later on the bottom 6. He's not in Washington to light it up every game we know, he's there to perform on the bottom 6.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone not impressed with Sanford etc, what did you expect with Reirden a D coach, running camp?

No one has suggested Reirden is head coach material.... well, no one besides me.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Anyone not impressed with Sanford etc, what did you expect with Reirden a D coach, running camp?

No one has suggested Reirden is head coach material.... well, no one besides me.

For him to play like a player that spent the last two years playing for Jerry York.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

They did sign him for a reason. To be a back up who being desperate to save his career might elevate his game beyond where it has to this point in a shaky and unsuccessful tenure in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad