GDT: Caps @ Habs - 1/25/14 7 PM

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Is it seriously that hard to play like that all the time?

My biggest issue with this team is a lack of effort. I hate losing but at least put in the effort and I can deal with it. Tonight they looked like they wanted to be there and controlled the game.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Late in the NJ game they started moving their legs and playing with some jump. They started putting together more than 2 passes. That improvement continued tonight. And it was team-wide. Something was done or said. And if it was simply being tired of losing then that's not enough.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
My biggest issue with this team is a lack of effort. I hate losing but at least put in the effort and I can deal with it. Tonight they looked like they wanted to be there and controlled the game.

Well said. I expect full effort too. I don't expect them to win every game, but I do expect effort.

Halpysback*

Awesome. Hopefully McPhee gets another 15 years at the helm so all the fans cheering this win get what they deserve.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
its ok. lots of road games coming. lots of good chances to lose. don't let one bad game ruin your day. they will suck again soon!! think positively....I mean negatively.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Missed the game. Grabs didn't play? So he's been the problem all along? :sarcasm:

Watched the highlights and the most impressive goal was Beagle's - nice passing play.

The headline says it all "slumping Canadiens". This time a team out sucked the Caps. Get streak going and I'll become a believer in this coach. I just don't think this roster is THAAT bad.

Vladiator16*

I know majority of us want GMGM gone and having another piss poor performance might of gotten us closer to see McPhee-less Caps, but.... God damn it feels good to win, maybe the boys will remember how it feels too and win despite GMGM and Oates... Agh, who am i kidding, 1 good game with fathers in the stands probably doesn't mean much and we'll be back to our losing ways versus Buffalo and such in no time, i guess we'll just have to wait and see...

In other news now Beagle and Erskine have more goals then Erat, awesome!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I know majority of us want GMGM gone and having another piss poor performance might of gotten us closer to see McPhee-less Caps, but.... God damn it feels good to win, maybe the boys will remember how it feels too and win despite GMGM and Oates... Agh, who am i kidding, 1 good game with fathers in the stands probably doesn't mean much and we'll be back to our losing ways versus Buffalo and such in no time, i guess we'll just have to wait and see...

In other news now Beagle and Erskine have more goals then Erat, awesome!

I'll always take a win. Change be damned when a W is on the line. Short term wins shouldn't change legit analysis done by ownership anyway IMO.

Vladiator16*

I'll always take a win. Change be damned when a W is on the line. Short term wins shouldn't change legit analysis done by ownership anyway IMO.

Believe me, im in the fire Mafkie camp, but tell me that a W doesn't feel good ones in blue moon?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
effort question. some asked if it is really that hard to put forward a full effort every game? short answer is, yes. that's why in a sport like hockey, work ethic is such an admired thing. a team that can regularly overachieve based on effort is a pretty rare thing.

the difference between giving an average nhl effort and the kind of effort you want to see everynight is the difference between picking a ball peen hammer and hitting your foot once good and picking up a sledge hammer and hitting both feet. proving you are good enough to play as an established nhl player hurts more than you can believe. overachieving on effort hurts more every game than you can possibly imagine.

so the difference between average effort and top work ethic is 98% to 100%. to coin a phrase, its being willing to die for that inch. the difference between thinking you are giving it all and actually doing it is also pretty narrow.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
effort question. some asked if it is really that hard to put forward a full effort every game? short answer is, yes. that's why in a sport like hockey, work ethic is such an admired thing. a team that can regularly overachieve based on effort is a pretty rare thing.

the difference between giving an average nhl effort and the kind of effort you want to see everynight is the difference between picking a ball peen hammer and hitting your foot once good and picking up a sledge hammer and hitting both feet. proving you are good enough to play as an established nhl player hurts more than you can believe. overachieving on effort hurts more every game than you can possibly imagine.

so the difference between average effort and top work ethic is 98% to 100%. to coin a phrase, its being willing to die for that inch. the difference between thinking you are giving it all and actually doing it is also pretty narrow.

say-what-nc.png

I suspect most here don't see this as 98% vs 100%, more like 75% vs 100% some nights, maybe even a bigger spread depending on the player and night, who's hung-over from the night before or what.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No one was happier than George that it was fathers day.

I can only think with the Dads back home, we will be back o status quo sooner than later

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Not being there may be the first step to what we all want. And that is some real change in management.

And it may not. And new management may be worse than what they currently have.

Regardless of who is managing or coaching my team I am not pulling for them to lose unless they are out of the playoffs and losing thus equals winning with respect to draft position. Whether I like the coach or GM or not I still want the team to win.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I suspect most here don't see this as 98% vs 100%, more like 75% vs 100% some nights, maybe even a bigger spread depending on the player and night, who's hung-over from the night before or what.

so, you are of a mind that the caps are unprofessional and coasting. not giving a crap and just showing up to work to claim their check. because, I don't see a disregard for their job going on here.

Liberati0n*

oh, jesus. "'To coin a phrase' is now rarely used with its original 'invent a new phrase' meaning but is almost always used ironically to introduce a banal or clichéd sentiment."

I was not aware of that, but I'll take your word for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad