News: Caps GM Brian MacLellan says goalie Braden Holtby will test free agency

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
No surprise here, but, he confirmed it at the end of the introductory press conference with Lavi.

BMac also stated that he was in contact with Holtby’s agent last week and will continue to be in FA, to see if Holtby finds the deal he’s looking for or not.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
How about no s**t sherlock for $500 Alex

debe06785f0cd558f27831861a21dbf0.gif

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Can we interest you in a signed Darcy Keumper at $4.5M cap hit..?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Am I the only one who thinks he will end being disappointed?

No cap increase, financial uncertainty...unfortunate time to try to "cash in". I'm sure Bobrovsky is thanking his lucky stars right about now.
More than anything I think he’ll be affected by coming off a bad season and a somewhat downward trend and already being 31.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He will get a solid offer.

Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Buffalo could all be in the market

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
With flat cap, korona, disappointing play last season and other teams seeing what a bad deal Bobrovsky was, I think he is not going to get that much.

At least not full term. IMO AAV is not going to be such a problem but he is not getting 7 years. Could be a bit more but I am going to guess 6.5m AAV/4 years.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
It would've been smart for him to sign for one year in Washington and make himself available to Seattle next season.
Nothing today precludes this from STILL happening. Holtby is smart to test the market but may ultimately be disappointed.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Every year, leading into the free agency period, we all discuss the likely bloated contracts big-name FAs will recieve, and offer as an alternative a multitude of reasonable, factually sound, statistically justifiable contracts that player should get, and then... they get the bloated contracts anyway, and we can't believe it. Impending lockouts, salary cap issues, coronavirus, whatever. (Not saying it's not fun to discuss--it is! But we all know where it's actually headed, right?)

There's always a desperate and/or boneheaded GM willing to offer a terrible contract, and I imagine someone out there will give him the 7-year, $8.5-$10M contract he (and his agent) is hoping to get.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If I am Holtby, pick the right spot and sign for 1 year, even if it's below market value.

May could have been the difference for Colorado

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Am I the only one who thinks he will end being disappointed?

No cap increase, financial uncertainty...unfortunate time to try to "cash in". I'm sure Bobrovsky is thanking his lucky stars right about now.

Yup, Bob definitely has not helped any goalie looking for a payday. If he doesn't regain form in the next year he's going to be the worst contract in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad