News: Caps GM Brian MacLellan says goalie Braden Holtby will test free agency

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
debe06785f0cd558f27831861a21dbf0.gif
Yup if you can't beat em master, Then join them.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yup, Bob definitely has not helped any goalie looking for a payday. If he doesn't regain form in the next year he's going to be the worst contract in the NHL.
To be fair. If we’re being honest it’s debatable if Bobrovsky even has the worst $10M goalie contract in the League currently.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
That whole team isn’t the same since a few years ago because Trotz is gone. It’s no coincidence that Holtby looked amazing under Trotz and now Varlamov and Greiss look just as good.
First I’ve heard of this. Perhaps because it’s a steaming pile? Maybe get your facts straight, or just keep on Islander fanboiing, whichev.

Also ever heard of a guy named Mitch Korn?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
To be fair. If we’re being honest it’s debatable if Bobrovsky even has the worst $10M goalie contract in the League currently.

They both have 5 years left on their contract. Price was the best goalie this playoffs. Not quite sure how this is even a debate.

Price is still overpaid and on a bloated contract, but Bobrovsky has shown nothing since signing his contract.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
They both have 5 years left on their contract. Price was the best goalie this playoffs. Not quite sure how this is even a debate.

Price is still overpaid and on a bloated contract, but Bobrovsky has shown nothing since signing his contract.
Price was still 0.500 this Post-Season and his Regular Season #s were pedestrian.

Reactions: JenniferH

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
His last three season save %:

I know someone will, but anyone paying him more than $3m 1Y or $2m 2Y, especially in a busy goalie market, with the current money crunch, is a fool.

He is a backup. You are paying him praying he reverts to a form from 4 years ago, under a different coach. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Kurtz

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Nobody will pay him Bob’s money. $7m AAV is the max he can hope for

In COVID free agency with the cap flattening and a bunch of teams looking to shed salary more, I would be utterly shocked if he got even close to $7 mil. I'd be shocked at $6 mil with term.

Reactions: Kurtz

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Would SJ be able to afford him? They need a good starter & he already has an SC ring already so he may be interested only in three things:

1. Want the starter role, not have to compete with a good backup for that position
2. a good long term contract for security
3. a nice destination for his family

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Would SJ be able to afford him? They need a good starter & he already has an SC ring already so he may be interested only in three things:

1. Want the starter role, not have to compete with a good backup for that position
2. a good long term contract for security
3. a nice destination for his family
I have a feeling SJ is not giving out number 2 to an aging vet goalie anytime soon (and no one should be giving that to Holtby anyways.)

If SJ can get him for cheap on short term, basically sell it as an opportunity to prove himself after three down years so he can sign a bigger contract later somewhere else, then he would be a fit. That will only happen if the goalie market absolutely crashes (which is possible, but I think some dumb GM will overpay for a "cup winner".)

Reactions: qqaz

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
If Holtby wants to come "home" and sign a reasonable contract with the Oilers, I'd welcome him with open arms as a 1a partner for Koskinen.

Trouble is, I'm sure there are other (more desperate) teams willing to pay more.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Every year, leading into the free agency period, we all discuss the likely bloated contracts big-name FAs will recieve, and offer as an alternative a multitude of reasonable, factually sound, statistically justifiable contracts that player should get, and then... they get the bloated contracts anyway, and we can't believe it. Impending lockouts, salary cap issues, coronavirus, whatever. (Not saying it's not fun to discuss--it is! But we all know where it's actually headed, right?)

There's always a desperate and/or boneheaded GM willing to offer a terrible contract, and I imagine someone out there will give him the 7-year, $8.5-$10M contract he (and his agent) is hoping to get.
I think he will get money but not term. I see the Canes making moves to get him on a 4 year deal

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Probably gets a stupid contract. I see Buffalo giving him the stupid contract.

But I can also see him landing in one of San Jose (if Jones is moved in order to make room for him), Anaheim, Edmonton, Calgary or Colorado.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
His last three season save %:

I know someone will, but anyone paying him more than $3m 1Y or $2m 2Y, especially in a busy goalie market, with the current money crunch, is a fool.

He is a backup. You are paying him praying he reverts to a form from 4 years ago, under a different coach. Good luck with that.
This is a hot take.
Carey Price over the same period:
Make no mistake, expecting him to get $2-3M is stupid and unrealistic, even under the wildest of circumstances.

Reactions: JenniferH

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I'd be very surprised if he got anything above $6 million. I'd normally agree that he'd get a nice deal, but I think if you combine the flat cap, reports of teams wanting to shed salary and going with internally lower caps, the number of goalies hitting FA and available for trade, and the recent Bob contract, I think that scares away most teams. All of that on top of the fact that he's been pretty mediocre/below average the past couple seasons.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not surprising though maybe not the smartest move given that supposedly so many goalies are available via free agency and potential trades. Might not get a better offer.

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
Would Washington be interested in Andersen + 4th for Washington’s 1st rounder this year? Low actual dollar cost solid goalie with low term to help carry the load with Samsonov but still be competitive for the current core.
The Caps could go for Kuemper if they want to commit to two years or a free agent for free instead. Andersen would certainly eat into their cap space and give the Caps less flexibility.
Leafs would do a separate deal for a lesser, cheaper goalie.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The goalie market is pretty rich meaning FA goalies won’t get as rich. If I were setting a Vegas line on Holtby’s next contract, the over/under would be $5.5M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad