Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Im confused as to why Ovi at 12.5 is basically them dedicating next 5 years to his goal record? What's the magic number that will make you say they are committed to winning as opposed to they are committed to the goal scoring record?

And a follow up question. Have you ever negotiated a lower salary for the greater good of a company that you do not own?
Because we don't have the young talent in the system at this moment to compensate for losing higher priced talent. OV played well last night but it's clear he doesn't have the energy to play that way night in and night out. Right now the team is good enough that he can pick and choose which games to turn it on, but with a younger and cheaper team every game will need his max effort. Furthermore, as well as he played last night in the last 9 games he has 4 points. I would argue that he's lost a little in the finishing area, understandable at his age. I could see him being a 0.7 ppg guy the next 2-3 years without a consistent 200 ft game. Is that someone a winning team normally would give a new $12.5 million per year contract for? So clearly respect and getting him the record would have a huge role in that decision.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I never fully understand that rule, but i play around with the capfriendly expansion draft simulator and they know their stuff. Samsonov and Vanecek are both eligible to be taken, so I'll assume that is the case. Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Well I'm not an expert, I'm only repeating what I've read and highlighted how the '17 Vegas ED language differs from the '21 Seattle ED language (professional vs NHL). But I will say, that CapFriendly chart isn't even consistent with itself. It shows VRana as ineligible and Sammy as eligible, when both are RFA in 21. Vrana clearly has the required experience, Sammy either does or doesn't depending on "Professional vs NHL" experience. Vrana also easily meets the 27/54 requirement whereas neither Sammy nor Vanny meet that number. So there is still lots of confusing information out there about what we can expect.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Well I'm not an expert, I'm only repeating what I've read and highlighted how the '17 Vegas ED language differs from the '21 Seattle ED language (professional vs NHL). But I will say, that CapFriendly chart isn't even consistent with itself. It shows VRana as ineligible and Sammy as eligible, when both are RFA in 21. Vrana clearly has the required experience, Sammy either does or doesn't depending on "Professional vs NHL" experience. Vrana also easily meets the 27/54 requirement whereas neither Sammy nor Vanny meet that number. So there is still lots of confusing information out there about what we can expect.
I think you’re reading it wrong, they have a whole section for “exempt” players and Vrana is not listed there. He’s in the group of players that must be protected

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think you’re reading it wrong, they have a whole section for “exempt” players and Vrana is not listed there. He’s in the group of players that must be protected

I see that whole list but it also says that players who are expected to meet the eligibility requirements are listed in green, and Sammy/Vanny are green but Vrana and Siegs are not. I'm obviously missing something there but again, if the requirement is for 2 years NHL experience then neither Sammy or Vanny would qualify for that.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I see that whole list but it also says that players who are expected to meet the eligibility requirements are listed in green, and Sammy/Vanny are green but Vrana and Siegs are not. I'm obviously missing something there but again, if the requirement is for 2 years NHL experience then neither Sammy or Vanny would qualify for that.

I always thought it was 2 years professional experience, and not just NHL experience. I use capfriendly for most of my NHL transaction news and definitions and this is what they state:

Expansion Draft FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps.

First & Second Year Pros

All players who have accrued two or less professional seasons at the end of the 2020-21 season, as well as all unsigned draft choices appearing on the teams reserve list, will be exempt from the upcoming expansion draft.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I always thought it was 2 years professional experience, and not just NHL experience. I use capfriendly for most of my NHL transaction news and definitions and this is what they state:

Expansion Draft FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps.

First & Second Year Pros

All players who have accrued two or less professional seasons at the end of the 2020-21 season, as well as all unsigned draft choices appearing on the teams reserve list, will be exempt from the upcoming expansion draft.

I know, I know. There are sites that say "Pro experience" and there are sites that say "NHL experience". The difference between the two wordings is Sammy and Vanny.

I may just DM Firedman, McKenzie or Dreger to get a straight answer here, as soon as I learn how Twitter works. :D

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If they will dedicate next 5 yeaars to Ovi while playing like yesterday, still leading/winning metro, well, everyone will take it.

After some period of post covid bad plaay from 8-9-92 they look better. If they keep thaat - there is a good chance to go into ECF at leaast. You take it and run as a fan.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If GMBM knew this all the way he should be very calm now. At least one is adequate for the time being and odds are both will be better next season.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

This makes zero sense. Like less than zero.

Team has 14.17m in cap space next year. The FA’s are:
Ovy (UFA)
Vrana (RFA)
Sheary (UFA)
Chara (UFA)
Siegenthaler (RFA)
van Riemsdyk (UFA)

so even if Ovy take 12.5m. Let’s assume he does. That leaves 1.6m left. Sign both Chara and another vet (Sheary type) for the 1.6m.

Vrana and Siegs are RFA’s. They can’t just “leave”. TVR can leave (and prob will). So they have to find a way to trade Siegs, and find maybe 5m for Vrana (Seattle takes someone, and/or trade Panik/Jensen).

this is so overblown

Reactions: Calicaps

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Vrana and Siegs are RFA’s. They can’t just “leave”. TVR can leave (and prob will). So they have to find a way to trade Siegs, and find maybe 5m for Vrana (Seattle takes someone, and/or trade Panik/Jensen).
That last part sounds like a plan. They need to dump Kempny, Jensen, Panik. Just because they have cheap alternatives (and potentially better long term).

Kuzy caant be dumped for cap. Only if he isnt plaaying good.

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I'd pay the 12.5, this team won't really have anything going for it past Ovi for a while anyway. All the young players and upcoming prospects are lame as hell compared to him. Rather watch him loaf around the ice with a walker chasing the record than some boring version of San Jose east.

That said, he probably comes in around 10 to keep the team together. Free up cap by moving out Panik, Jensen, Kempny, Hagelin and Dillon (replace Dillon with Siegenthaler, yes Dillon is better now but that's a very organic replacement and the gap between them should close quickly by virtue of Siegs getting better and Dillon getting older)

8-92-77
Vrana-Backstrom-Wilson
McMichael-Eller-Sprong
AJF-Dowd-Hathaway

Siegenthaler Carlson
Orlov Alexeyev
Fehervary -Schultz

As the template to work with, probably leaves enough cap to upgrade multiple players.

Wish we could pull impact sub million dollar players out of our ass like Florida does with Marchessault and Verhaeghe

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
The green just means that player meets the exposure requirements. Every team must expose two forwards and one defenseman who are under contract for 21/22 and have played 40+ games in the most recent season, or 70+ games in the last two seasons. Vrana and Siegs technically do no meet the exposure requirement since they do not yet have a contract for 21/22 BUT they are still eligible to be selected if they were left unprotected.

Caps will meet the exposure requirements no problem with Panik/Hagelin/Dowd at F, Jensen/Dillon at D, and Copley at G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad