Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Off-Season Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Assuming Ovechkin's contract is really "in the drawer" when would they announce the signing? I assume today near 1 pm?

tenor.gif

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
I have suggested several times in the past that I thought Ovechkin had a handshake deal with Leonsis to get a piece of the team and a management role with the team upon retirement. While he is playing any compensation he gets that cant be immediately applied to the salary cap is prohibited.

OK, so.... is there a dollar amount per season, a cutoff line if you will, where it would raise your suspicion about an unannounced aspect(like future ownership) to his contract ?
For example, if its announced Ovi signs for 11.5/5,,...then we might be a little sad(with the cap situation) but that wouldnt raise flags to me. On the other hand if it's announced he has signed for 7.5per then.... suspicious?
And yes, I understand that term would also play into the overall contract as well.

anybody?

Jun 15, 2007
OK, so.... is there a dollar amount per season, a cutoff line if you will, where it would raise your suspicion about an unannounced aspect(like future ownership) to his contract ?
For example, if its announced Ovi signs for 11.5/5,,...then we might be a little sad(with the cap situation) but that wouldnt raise flags to me. On the other hand if it's announced he has signed for 7.5per then.... suspicious?
And yes, I understand that term would also play into the overall contract as well.

anybody?

Based purely on expected on-ice performance I think a fair contract would be 5x7m. He's 36 after all. Taylor Hall just signed 6x6m. Is 36-41 year old Ovechkin going to be much better than Taylor Hall over that span?

That cap hit remains on the books even if he retires. I don't think anyone has signed a bigger 35+ deal than that except the Pronger to Philly deal but that was a mistake wherein they thought it wasn't 35+.

But yeah, I'm hoping for 5x8 for numerology reasons but realistically expecting 5x10m.

We will just have to deal with Ovechkin and Backstrom being overpaid collectively by a few million.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Here's the current list of UFA Defenseman. This is what the Capitals may be up against if it wants to clear some cap space along the blue line. With Oleksiak and Larsson signings, wonder if defensive needs have surfaced in Dallas and Edmonton. Edmonton losing Larsson and Klefbom may not be available this season (and there's some talk that he may never play again due to his injury), would make them a possible trade partner. I understand that their priorities are currently acquiring Hyman and possibly resigning Barrie.

nhl_logo.png
2021 NHL Free Agents

Tracking the status and signings of all 2021 NHL free agents. This tool includes all signings that happen during the Free Agency window only.
2027 2026 2025 2024 2023 2022 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011
All Teams ANA AZ BOS BUF CGY CAR CHI COL CBJ DAL DET EDM FLA LAK MIN MTL NSH NJD NYI NYR OTT PHI PIT SJS SEA STL TBL TOR VAN VGK WAS WPG
All Positions Forward Center Left Wing Right Wing Defenseman Goaltender
All Types UFA RFA Player Option Club Option
All Statuses Available Signed Relinquished
Player Option
Club Option
PLAYER (2 OF 108)POS.AGETYPEFROMTOYRSDOLLARSAVERAGE
Jamie OleksiakD28UFADALSEA5$23,000,000$4,600,000
Adam LarssonD28UFAEDMSEA4$16,000,000$4,000,000
Ryan SuterD36UFAMINTBD---
Keith YandleD35UFAFLATBD---
Alexander EdlerD35UFAVANTBD---
Dougie HamiltonD28UFACARTBD---
Marc StaalD34UFADETTBD---
Alex GoligoskiD36UFAAZTBD---
Niklas HjalmarssonD34UFAAZTBD---
Ryan MurrayD28UFANJDTBD---
Jason DemersD33UFAAZTBD---
Brendan SmithD32UFANYRTBD---
Ian ColeD32UFAMINTBD---
David SavardD30UFATBLTBD---
Alec MartinezD34UFAVGKTBD---
Erik GudbransonD29UFANSHTBD---
Brandon MontourD27UFAFLATBD---
Tyson BarrieD30UFAEDMTBD---
Erik GustafssonD29UFAMTLTBD---
Patrik NemethD29UFACOLTBD---
Jake McCabeD27UFABUFTBD---
Thomas HickeyD32UFANYITBD---
Stephen JohnsD29UFADALTBD---
Greg PaterynD31UFASJSTBD---
Jordie BennD34UFAWPGTBD---
Sami VatanenD30UFADALTBD---
Carl GunnarssonD34UFASTLTBD---
Michael StoneD31UFACGYTBD---
Braydon CoburnD36UFANYITBD---
Mike ReillyD28UFABOSTBD---
Connor CarrickD27UFANJDTBD---
Jordan OesterleD29UFAAZTBD---
Cody CeciD27UFAPITTBD---
Travis HamonicD31UFAVANTBD---
Dmitry KulikovD30UFAEDMTBD---
Jack JohnsonD34UFANYRTBD---
Zach BogosianD31UFATORTBD---
Derek ForbortD29UFAWPGTBD---
Ben HuttonD28UFATORTBD---
Mikko LehtonenD27UFACBJTBD---
Jon MerrillD29UFAMTLTBD---
Alex BiegaD33UFADETTBD---
Carl DahlstromD26UFAVGKTBD---
Slater KoekkoekD27UFAEDMTBD---
Luca SbisaD31UFANSHTBD---
Steven KampferD33UFABOSTBD---
Luke SchennD31UFATBLTBD---
Zdeno CharaD44UFABOSTBD---
Tucker PoolmanD28UFAWPGTBD---
Andy WelinskiD28UFAANATBD---
Jordan GrossD26UFAAZTBD---
Gustav OlofssonD26UFAMTLTBD---
Mitch ReinkeD25UFASTLTBD---
Mark PysykD29UFADALTBD---
Jani HakanpaaD29UFACARTBD---
Calle RosenD27UFATORTBD---
Anton LindholmD26UFACHITBD---
Taylor FedunD33UFADALTBD---
Aaron NessD31UFAAZTBD---
Tommy CrossD32UFAFLATBD---
Ethan ProwD28UFAFLATBD---
Brady KeeperD25UFAFLATBD---
Gavin BayreutherD27UFASEATBD---
Dakota MermisD27UFAMINTBD---
Alex PetrovicD29UFACGYTBD---
Matt IrwinD33UFABUFTBD---
Brian LashoffD31UFATBLTBD---
Matt BartkowskiD33UFAMINTBD---
Adam ClendeningD28UFACBJTBD---
Derrick PouliotD27UFAPHITBD---
Brandon DavidsonD30UFABUFTBD---
Andreas BorgmanD26UFATBLTBD---
Zach TrotmanD31UFAPITTBD---
Martin MarincinD29UFATORTBD---
Jarred TinordiD29UFABOSTBD---
Mark AltD29UFALAKTBD---
Joakim RyanD28UFACARTBD---
Samuel MorinD26UFAPHITBD---
Tyler LewingtonD26UFANSHTBD---
Ashton SautnerD27UFAVANTBD---
Darren RaddyshD25UFANYRTBD---
Ian McCoshenD26UFACHITBD---
Dylan McIlrathD29UFADETTBD---
Louis BelpedioD25UFAMINTBD---
Nikita NesterovD28UFACGYTBD---
Nate ProsserD35UFAPHITBD---
Chris BigrasD26UFAPHITBD---
Tyler WotherspoonD28UFAPHITBD---
Kyle BurroughsD26UFACOLTBD---
David WarsofskyD31UFACARTBD---
Jalen ChatfieldD25UFAVANTBD---
Matt TennysonD31UFANJDTBD---
Roland McKeownD25UFACARTBD---
Luke WitkowskiD31UFATBLTBD---
Dan RenoufD27UFACOLTBD---
Brogan RaffertyD26UFAVANTBD---
Josh TevesD26UFAVANTBD---
Michael Del ZottoD31UFACBJTBD---
Nick DeSimoneD UFANYRTBD---
Paul LadueD29UFAWASTBD---
Cameron SchillingD32UFAWASTBD---
Josh JacobsD25UFANJDTBD---
Brad HuntD33UFAMINTBD---
Daniel BrickleyD26UFALAKTBD---
Kevin CzuczmanD30UFAPITTBD---
Joe HickettsD25UFADETTBD---
Jimmy SchuldtD26UFAVGKTBD---
Cody GoloubefD31UFADETTBD---
9$39,000,000$4,333,333
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Thats not fair. In 2009-10 they had the best record in the league. Its also not fair to say they had 6 AHL defensemen. Tom Poti and Brian Pothier were legit NHL defensemen and Poti a legit first pair defenseman. But yea, there was also +50 and.....TYLER SLOAN!!!!!!!!!!

pothier was a meh dman that we were all so excited about because he was the sign of management trying to actually improve the team for the first time since Ovi got drafted. Tom Poti wasnt a terrible dman but if you wanted to win the cup he should be no higher then your number 4 dman imo. Sloan, Schultz, Erskine, Jurcina, Morrissonn, Corvo, Lepisto, Eminger, Wideman, Hannan. A bunch of those guys may have signed/traded to other teams but they didnt last long in the league after their run with the caps.

You could have put all of those guys on the ice together and they wouldnt have stopped prime Crosby and Malkin especially with an all go, no Def forward corp that thought you win the game by being the first to 10 every night.

Last edited:
Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Panik, Vrana and Vanecek merchandise?

funny you say that. My wife and I got the reverse retros authentic jerseys and had them sent out for the official lettering and all. Wife hadnt bought a jersey since the 90s. She asked who should I get and without thinking I said eh idk, vrana should be here a while. We dont talk about those jerseys anymore. hahah

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Wouldn’t the caps wait awhile to announce an Ovi deal to not make it so obvious they were circumventing the expansion draft…so to speak.
Would Tampa offer to give the Cup to Montreal because they made it so obvious that they circumvented the Salary Cap and won?

1. Who cares what the NHL says, Caps followed all the rules
2. Do you really think the NHL cares what the Caps do with Ovechkin? How much money has Alex made the league, made Bettman.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
If there are any Vrana jerseys at the sale, I would really appreciate a kind Caps fan grabbing it for me to give to my mom, she loved V. Venmo, check, mail you cash, whatever you need. Message me if anyone can help.

THANKS!

Jun 15, 2007
Why on earth would Ovechkin expect to be compensated purely on expected on ice performance?

He wouldn't. That's why I said I'm expecting 5x10m.

His on-ice performance vs cap hit only relates to how good of a team the Caps are.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Wouldn’t the caps wait awhile to announce an Ovi deal to not make it so obvious they were circumventing the expansion draft…so to speak.

Nah. If Tampa Bay can make T shirts gloating about cap etc, then who cares what any team does. Of course many of us will say it's just smart management and taking advantage of gaps not covered.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
pothier was a meh dman that we were all so excited about because he was the sign of management trying to actually improve the team for the first time since Ovi got drafted. Tom Poti wasnt a terrible dman but if you wanted to win the cup he should be no higher then your number 4 dman imo. Sloan, Schultz, Erskine, Jurcina, Morrissonn, Corvo, Lepisto, Eminger, Wideman, Hannan. A bunch of those guys may have signed/traded to other teams but they didnt last long in the league after their run with the caps.

You could have put all of those guys on the ice together and they wouldnt have stopped prime Crosby and Malkin especially with an all go, no Def forward corp that thought you win the game by being the first to 10 every night.

Yea. Pothier was a meh nhl defenseman. He was not an ahl defenseman. Poti was legit and he didnt get a lot of credit for being as good as he was. He also was not an ahl player. Thats what I was saying.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He wouldn't. That's why I said I'm expecting 5x10m.

His on-ice performance vs cap hit only relates to how good of a team the Caps are.

I will believe that Ovechkin can't score 40+/50+ goals when I see it. I mean, I think he's been over the hill for several years now and it just doesn't take with him

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad