Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If we would target some Russians Id suggest Dobby or Dadonov. Both are UFA.

Sergachyov is a pipedream. They have AA growing and he will become a player hopefully. Eventually.

Although if they offer sheet him Im ok with it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
When I imagine them they're generally not so hostile for no reason at all, but maybe you and I are just in to different things.

Hostile? I have no hostility toward you here? Either i miswrote or you read intent that wasnt there. Which is the weakness of typed comms. Context can be misread.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I’m not clamoring for a Kuzy trade, but he’s hardly as irreplaceable as you’re making him out to be and he certainly carries great value even with a questionable work ethic at times.

If he's hardly replaceable, and his value is so high, who are you replacing him for? It's really easy to talk about trading Kuzya for the mythical pie and the sky 1C, it's another to do it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If he's hardly replaceable, and his value is so high, who are you replacing him for? It's really easy to talk about trading Kuzya for the mythical pie and the sky 1C, it's another to do it.

The problem is that with Kuzy you often live and die. He is the difference maker against almost every team save for Pittsburgh. He is the advantage....when he brings his A game. With Backstrom you know what you are getting. With Kuzy you dont. You are counting on a guy that you cant count on. I think its an "it is what it is" situation.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

It’s also really easy to have no imagination (or faith in GMBM) and assume there are no options.

I’m not going to waste everyone’s time and throw out names that will just get crapped on in response.

It’s up to GMBM to make the team better and there is a league full of players. Hard to see them moving Kuzy before Lavi gets a shot at motivating him anyway....

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Most estimates are that the season will start in December/January but who knows at this point.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yea, January is too soon to get paying crowds into NHL arenas in the US. The owners really need to sell tickets to be viable.

Tell me if I am wrong but nothing of value is going to be done in the US to fight COVID unless and until there is a new POTUS. Even then that is Jan 22. If there is a vaccine in the 4th quarter of 20 or 1st quarter 21, and proper measures otherwise, I could see fans in house for the Nats but the NHL.

Just connecting the dots I have a sinking feeling about Ov's shot at the record. There just wont be enough hockey

Last edited:

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Yea, January is too soon to get paying crowds into NHL arenas in the US. The owners really need to sell tickets to be viable.

///I could see fans in house for the Nats but the NHL.

Just connecting the dots I have a sinking feeling about Ov's shot at the record. There just wont be enough hockey

The only part of your post that I disagree with is bolded. I expect the league to be all-in on an 82-game RS beginning 1/1. All the owners benefit when all the teams play ... even if there are no paying fans. Their assets remain employed (as in 'in use'), they get a bit of tv revenue, and their fans are less likely to wander to other leisure time activities. Maybe a new deal is needed with the NHLPA regarding player salaries. As local rules permit, I see teams putting toes in the water to allow some fans to attend, if not when the season starts at least as it progresses. (MLB has suggested some fans will be permitted at playoff games - admittedly outdoors, but a way to all leagues to learn from the experience.)

Maybe its unrealistic, but I'm hoping that the games Ovie missed in 2019-20 will be the last RS games the team has not played during his career.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Curious if Caps fans have any interest in Gaudreau?
I am all for bringing in as much talent as possible but I don't think the Caps have anything worthwhile for Calgary. Straight up swap for Oshie maybe, but besides that it would have to be futures and a cap hit like Panik.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Curious if Caps fans have any interest in Gaudreau?

Not really. He's going to cost a lot to acquire and the Caps don't really have the expendable assets for a luxury winger, nor will have the space to re-up him. He also seems to get bullied in the playoffs due to his size, but maybe I haven't seen him enough since I watch the East more than the West.

The only way it makes sense for the Caps wouldn't be fair to the Flames.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Not really. He's going to cost a lot to acquire and the Caps don't really have the expendable assets for a luxury winger, nor will have the space to re-up him. He also seems to get bullied in the playoffs due to his size, but maybe I haven't seen him enough since I watch the East more than the West.

The only way it makes sense for the Caps wouldn't be fair to the Flames.

I'd personally move Vrana for Johnny Hockey. Vrana is 2.5 years younger, but, Gauds is one year removed from a 99-point season. His floor is 65-70 points - over 82 game seasons - and he's likely to consistently hit 75 to 95 points yearly. That's a trade I'd make. He also puts up points in the playoffs.

Reactions: Hivemind and um

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'd personally move Vrana for Johnny Hockey. Vrana is 2.5 years younger, but, Gauds is one year removed from a 99-point season. His floor is 65-70 points - over 82 game seasons - and he's likely to consistently hit 75 to 95 points yearly. That's a trade I'd make. He also puts up points in the playoffs.

I'd do something around Vrana too, I just wonder how much it will take. Vrana + Panik + 2020 1st + ?

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I'd do something around Vrana too, I just wonder how much it will take. Vrana + Panik + 2020 1st + ?
I don't even think it'd take that much, but, if the 1st was the sticking point, I'd throw that in too. I love Gaudreau and think he's a legitimate star.

Reactions: um
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad