Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 3: Free Agency Freak Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Our cap issues have been solved and now we're riding out the Ovechkin scoring train.

OV and Nick are not going to be paid much differently than they are now. Gudas can go next year with plenty of young Dmen waiting. Orlov is movable too if necessary. Holtby can leave. No one else needs a deal. There should be money to add a major FA next year if BMac wants to.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I see all three of Siegs, AA, & MF being NHL regulars in two years time. It’ll be interesting to see what happens by then on the back-end. I wouldn’t move any of the three. I can see Gudas being replaced by one of AA/MF after next season, Siegs already has a spot, & if both AA/MF are ready, I could see them moving one of Kemps/Jens. A good problem to have.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I can agree Holtby is a B star at this point. Yes we can roll the dice Holtby has 1 last playoff magic run in him. But at this point I would bet on a hungry young Samsonov to put up Holtbys same numbers.

With the salary cap not going up next season and needing to pay Backstrom it's easy

why not wait until the season is over to decide that, we got a whole season to let it play out.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Our cap issues have been solved and now we're riding out the Ovechkin scoring train.

OV and Nick are not going to be paid much differently than they are now. Gudas can go next year with plenty of young Dmen waiting. Orlov is movable too if necessary. Holtby can leave. No one else needs a deal. There should be money to add a major FA next year if BMac wants to.

I predict:

6 x 8 for Backstrom
4 x 10 for Ovechkin

I don't think Ted wants to get them for less. I think it will be one of the rare situations he intervenes and tells Mac "Lock them up for as long as you can, and pay a bit more to do it".

Some people may see the AVV and think "that's it". But think the quality of the lockerroom and getting over the hump of having one Cup removed temptation to go chase other unknowns somewhere else. Especially for Ovechkin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roughing

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
You can’t flip the goalie that won you a championship a year ago. As much of a good move as it sounds it also speaks upon future players wanting to stay here or the amount of pressure that can put on a goalie can be everything. If he struggles and caps look like a seller then yeah. Hopefully you can get a good haul from the Jets or someone out west.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I predict:

6 x 8 for Backstrom
4 x 10 for Ovechkin

I don't think Ted wants to get them for less. I think it will be one of the rare situations he intervenes and tells Mac "Lock them up for as long as you can, and pay a bit more to do it".
This. Ted won't let BMac let either player even entertain leaving. He will basically say do what you have to do to make sure they retire Capitals.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Victor Hedman is probably the best defenseman in the NHL but his last 2 playoff series the best play I saw him make for Tampa was sell a high sticking penalty

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Victor Hedman is probably the best defenseman in the NHL but his last 2 playoff series the best play I saw him make for Tampa was sell a high sticking penalty

I think Victor Hedman has a lot of subpar playoff play to make up for to be the undisputed best player st their position. Kucherov too.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I'm looking as forward to the Lightning games this year as I am to the Penguins. Those games have become intense since the ECF. I even hope that they are good again just to knock some sense into them again.

Reactions: Silky mitts

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the gap between Carlson and Ghost is pretty massive.

I get that people think Carlson isn't a top 10 D, but there is a ton of undervaluing going on.

A ton. He plays in all situations. He plays with a 2nd tier partner. History has proven that not any monkey on defense can make that wheelhouse pass to our hero and Carlson has proven expert at it. So what that he is not flashy. I am always amazed at how home town fans can hate on their star offensive defenseman.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Remember how quite a few wanted 74 traded years ago.

It happens. Remember how quite a few wanted or were saying it might time to trade the great 8 after that Game 7 loss to the Penguins in 2017. (I'm not innocent in this either I admit)

But something changed between then and now.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
People wanted Holtby traded pre-Cup too. Lots of people were even claiming it was a mistake to start him in Game 3 against the Blue Jackets.

74 has moved tier above to be with the best in his position since those days.

I don't want Holts traded but I don't want to overpay for a goalie.. seen too many rookies come in and steal the show. If there is one position that a total rookie can make a difference in the playoffs, it's in net. I'm just mainly afraid of tying up a huge salary into the goalie spot and suffer in other areas.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't want Holts traded but I don't want to overpay for a goalie.. seen too many rookies come in and steal the show. If there is one position that a total rookie can make a difference in the playoffs, it's in net. I'm just mainly afraid of tying up a huge salary into the goalie spot and suffer in other areas.

Agreed. Giving long-term deals to 30+ goalies just isn't a very smart move.

Reactions: Blades of Steel

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
1 year at 7M would work too, if Holts is ok with that. Doesnt handicap the team and has good opportunity at July 1st after expansion draft.

Thats leaving a lot of money on the table most probably... But maybe he wants to stay.

There was a time Rask was paid 4M behind 6M (?) Tim Thomas. And it worked for all in the end.

Id try to keep Holtby as long as Samsonov didnt prove to be better

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad