Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 3: Free Agency Freak Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
AJF can do exactly what Stephenson can.

AJF had like 16 games last year in AHL last year and didn't really light the world on fire. Gersich also took a step back production wise in terms of what you'd expect. I think penciling them in is a mistake. But then again, Stephenson was absolutely not a super productive AHLer, so who knows.

Really, a lot of the reason Burakovsky is still here and getting QO so high because of how absolutely horrendous our system has been in producing forwards in a timely manner. I honestly don't think we see a quality NHLer produced this year. 2020 is a different story.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
AJF had like 16 games last year in AHL last year and didn't really light the world on fire. Gersich alsontoomna strong back production wise in terms of what you'd expect. I think penciling them in is a mistake.

How we will ever know though if we don't give them a shot?

I would love to give AJF or Gersich or (insert name here) a shot. They need a PK'er who can produce 11 points, while losing more faceoffs than he wins, and getting out possessed pretty badly while being a minus 13.

I bet they can find someone on the farm to do that.

I can’t think of a forward in Hershey that is NHL ready.

How did we know Stephenson was ready? They gave him a shot.

Last edited:

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
How we will ever know though if we don't give them a shot?

I would love to give AJF or Gersich or (insert name) here a shot. They need a PK'er who can produce 11 points, while losing more faceoffs than he wins, and getting out possessed pretty badly while being a minus 13.

I bet they can find someone on the farm to do that.

How did we know Stephenson was ready? They gave him a shot.
Or maybe they shouldn’t have qualified someone who will end up disappointing again.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Say what you will about the 4th line during the Cup season, but in the playoffs they were all huge. DSP had huge goals, Chiasson had a big goal against Pitt, and Stephenson and Beagle both were contributors as well, no passengers during that run as we said.

It's probably lightning in a bottle more than anything but Chiasson and DSP both have decent shots and play a pretty rugged game while not having much else. Dowd seems to be a good 4th liner, and Stephenson can be, I'd probably look to find a guy with a high motor and physical play, and maybe give Gersich some time over Stephenson.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Those two signings were mocked or criticized, sadly by a lot of posters here as well as others.

They brought instant credibility to a D Corp that had lacked it for more than 10 years. I’d have to go back and look, might have been longer.
Everyone freaks out when term is given to older players. Oshie is that guy now. GMBM is proving a savvy GM can reap the early benefits from these types of signings and still move on from them gracefully if they have to early.

Yes and no. Dmen are generally staying relevant longer.

Niskanen was signed for 7 years while being 28. At 33 he was traded away.

Oshie (same age as Niskanen btw) is a forward who was signed for 8 years while being 31. Now he's at the point Niskanen was already traded. And has 6 more years... While being a forward with heavy game MO. Their contracts are different. Prime time for Niskanen (which yielded defensive stability) and twilight years for Oshie.

While Oshie did provide very valuable contributions for the cup, his contract is not in the same realm profit-wise as Niskanen's.

Orpik was 1) for shorter term 2) known fitness freak 3) intangibles which had great effect. Oshie is getting injured far more than Orpik did at his age. There is difference, and Orpik had only limited role on the ice (PK, defensive defense). So I'd say Orpik had an ability to play out his contract.

We will talk Oshie and his contract many more times here.

Reactions: 895

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
All I’m hearing is passive Oshie criticism...lol.

The more important point is that we have GMBM to maneuver out of it if his game tanks like Brooks Laich.

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I still think Oshie ends his career on LTIR here. One more concussion and I think we see him tabled for a long time.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They should already have this pretty well flushed out during the UFA interview period, though, right? Plus, if they were to sign someone making a similar amount GMs will know Burakovsky has to go and their leverage erodes. Best-case maybe they line something up for 7/1 and deal Burakovsky beforehand. Absent that I think they're largely done. Maybe they do some small fourth-line business but that's about it I'm guessing and only if it comes at a very convenient price.

Their bigger questions are more fundamental anyway I suppose. Can they still get away with an approach that prioritizes quality chances when that may be harder than ever to produce/convert and limit? Is that still viable (at least insofar as the things they've tended to let slide previously)?

I don’t think that’s fair re:FA. It’s Tuesday PM. They started legally talking all of 2 days ago. There are 5 more days til actual FA.

They have heard some pitches and asks, but that doesn’t mean any of those are going to happen or are realistic. A whole heckuva lot can and will happen before and soon after 7/1.

They may have targets that will be on the fringes of FA and will settle 3-7 days in. Those guys shoot high, then settle. Don’t they? Unless they are lookin for a very “certain” situation (team, area, coach, etc etc). So we are in the very beginnings for the type of player the Caps will be talking to in FA. IMO

So I don’t see a lot of info being really gleaned vis a vis adding an FA thus allowing Bura to depart.

Reactions: Charles Calvert

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
That’s just bad mojo to make ******* predictions like that about someone’s life/health.

Easy now, it's no different than literally the other half dozen not so subtle references to his "health" and "staying healthy" that populate this thread. I obviously hope he has a long and healthy career, but when people make those comments they're not talking about his knees holding up.

When I say I see Oshie ending his career on LTIR it's not because of a legitimately catastrophic injury, it's a guy the team wants off the books and he's willing to hang up his skates if he's still getting paid.

Oshie has had 5 concussions (that we know of), having multiple concussions leaves you more susceptible to future ones. He's only 32 and he plays an extremely physical game, it stands to reason he may encounter future issues. I think the real issue is that you're assuming that him going on LTIR would mean he was on the end of a catastrophic injury, as opposed to manipulation of the salary cap. I could see a guy like Oshie wanting to retire due to the wear and tear, I could see the team wanting it too, and I could see them cleverly using the LTIR situation to make sure he still gets his contract $ while freeing up salary cap space. (IE. CHI and Hossa)

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Good on qualifying Bura, not like the money would be better spent elsewhere

Carr Eller Burakovsky
Hagelin Dowd Stephenson

3A line scoring line
3B line shutdown line

Carr takes over for Connolly, may not score 20 but give him Wilson's skating coach and he's good for 15

Dowd or Stephenson replaced by by a high end Beagle ish shutdown vet and the 4th line becomes almost as useful as Steen - sundqvist - Barbashev

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Come the 2021 draft lottery for Seattle, I don't see the likes of Oshie, Eller and Hagelin just to name a few, being protected.

Oshie with some of his roots being from the state of Washington, I could see him end up getting picked up by Seattle just from the PR factor.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Burt qualified! Boom! One of the few who believed he could would be back!

Can’t give up on that talent yet.

Understanding that as opposed to the past where Burakovsky was a spare talent when Vrana jumped him, the Caps sink or swim with him. He starts in a top 9 roster slot, taking up $3m in cap space with no kid to bump him down. If he goes cold, there wont be any options. They will have to live with it.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Come the 2021 draft lottery for Seattle, I don't see the likes of Oshie, Eller and Hagelin just to name a few, being protected.

Oshie with some of his roots being from the state of Washington, I could see him end up getting picked up by Seattle just from the PR factor.

If he is Still scoring 20 goals, maybe. No way Seattle touches that 4-year contract if Oshies injuries have taken its tolls and he can barely skate. Unless you pay Premium for them to do so.

Pretty much every team in the league seems to be counting on that Seattle will take their cap dump and solve some problems. There will be bidding contest on what contracts Seattle will eat, and it will be even worse than with Vegas. GM's have been hanging themselves harder and harder every year since last entry draft. I wouldnt count anything on the ED 21.. Its more likely that some of these monster contracts will be cleaned out with compliance buyouts From the next lockout.

Best scenario is that Oshie recovers From his injuries and keeps doing his thing for another few years, just enough to be effective for the biggest part of whats left on Ovie-era. And just about the time he is done he either finds out a magical rash that forces him into LTIR or maybe we have entered the rebuild phase anyways and it doesnt matter anymore.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Burakovsky played fairly well down the stretch in an RFA contract year that carried limited upside. Caps mgmt has to be hoping he'll really step up with a bigger contract on the line.

This will not be a sell high situation in-season, imo. They will either see what they want to see and throw money at him or just cut bait at the TDL and get what they can.

Worst case scenario is something that limits his games or trademark inconsistency clouding the picture.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don’t think any of the Hershey young guns are ready to take the next step. They’ve showed promise and improvement throughout last season but their situation is more of a call up if injuries happen type deal. The ones who are most ready to help at the NHL level in Barber and Walker probably will be with new organizations next season.

It’s definitely difficult to comprehend that Walker never really was given a chance considering the amount of time he spent in the organization. The game he played against Pittsburgh in the SC run was exactly how he plays in the AHL yet other guys were given countless chances over him. He’s fast, physical, annoying, can penalty kill and most importantly he’s cheaper than most of the options we had last year on the fourth line.

Stephenson regressed significantly last year compared to the year prior. He earned his shot at the NHL by going on a tear in Hershey two seasons ago. He better come cheap if he’s resigned because last year was definitely a bad year yet he kept getting a sweater

Reactions: racingmoose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad