Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 1: The BMac Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
But come on, an interchangeable 3rd liner or two is going to be an easier get than a LEGIT 1b/2 D RD IMO.
Ideally, yes, but if we're maintaining the same Cup level standard then at the salary slots they'll have remaining that's probably not going to happen. Boyd did well in a very limited soft minute role but could hardly crack the lineup in the playoffs even when the coaching staff had minimal trust in the fourth-line as it was. He likely has no business on a third line or being relied upon to be more than he was this past season. As much as these are relatively minor depth issues, it can be the difference between advancing or going home in a tight series (or even making the playoffs should other more fundamental issues exist). It may be inevitable that they won't have the pieces to seriously contend again until they've manufactured more energetic and effective forward depth, even if they do manage to retain Connolly. It becomes even more essential if they're relying upon a defense that's very bend-y and getting older rather than something younger and more assertive/downhill. That's the crux of the issue with Niskanen. He can do his job passably for the most part but is he capable of doing it at a Cup level going forward in a style likely to be successful? I'm not sure he is from an energy standpoint and the underlying trends are concerning. It might be a bit early to conclude that he's done contributing at a high enough level, particularly when Jensen hasn't proven a superior replacement, but it also may be inevitable that the defense won't truly allow them to contend again until there's a quality infusion of young legs capable of readily eating hard minutes.

Running the numbers, even in the most optimistic scenarios it looks like they'd have at most something in the area of $7.25M or so for Vrana & Connolly if they make no cap clearing moves beyond not giving Burakovsky & Jaskin QOs. It's not going to work as-is barring everything going in their favor when it comes to the cap rising another six percent, getting all other depth players done very cheaply and then also managing to perhaps bridge Vrana and persuade Connolly to take a hometown discount. Even then they'd likely be a third-liner short. That's even with a 22 player roster and there's no assurance the cap will rise that much again. That's not to say their window is closed but barring much better core and coaching staff performance overall, it's hard to see a thinner roster with a few key depth weaknesses enabling a long run. They're going to need to adapt the roster and probably in some ways shake it up. If they believe Niskanen's best days are behind him and can somehow still get what they believe is strong value then it makes sense. There's risk, sure, but they also may not believe the mix and general approach as-is has another deep run in them anyway.

You never know but it doesn't seem like Mahoney is a front-runner.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If they don't bring back Connolly, I wouldn't be entirely opposed on kicking the tires on a Mathieu Perreault re-union. Winnipeg is going to be looking to shed some salary, and he has two years remaining at $4.125M.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Didn't see this elsewhere. I'm guessing he was in if not driving the pickup truck referenced in the story:

Former NHLer Erskine severely injured in highway accident

Former NHL defenceman John Erskinewas severely injured after he was involved in a highway accident early Wednesday morning, his former agent confirmed to TSN.

The Ontario Provincial Police said in a statement that there was a collision at 12:48 a.m. on Wednesday in the eastbound lanes of Highway 401 near the town of Napanee. The OPP said its investigation revealed a pickup truck driven by a 38-year-old man from Elginburg, Ont., was driving the wrong way in the eastbound lanes when his truck collided with a transport truck.

The driver of the pickup was arrested at the scene and transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, the OPP said. The driver of the transport truck was not injured.

OPP spokeswoman Const. Shannon Cork told TSN on Thursday that an investigation into the accident continues and that charges have not yet been laid.

Erskine’s former agent, Pat Morris, confirmed that his onetime client had been at a junior hockey game earlier on Tuesday night and was hospitalized after the accident. Erskine was severely injured, Morris said, adding that he didn’t have more details.

Erskine, a native of Kingston, Ont., played 491 games in the NHL with the Dallas Stars, New York Islanders and Washington Capitals between 2001 and 2014. The former London Knights player was selected by the Stars in the second round of the 1998 NHL entry draft.

https://www.tsn.ca/former-nhl-defenceman-erskine-severely-injured-in-highway-accident-1.1299786

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Didn't see this elsewhere. I'm guessing he was in if not driving the pickup truck referenced in the story:

Former NHLer Erskine severely injured in highway accident

Former NHL defenceman John Erskinewas severely injured after he was involved in a highway accident early Wednesday morning, his former agent confirmed to TSN.

The Ontario Provincial Police said in a statement that there was a collision at 12:48 a.m. on Wednesday in the eastbound lanes of Highway 401 near the town of Napanee. The OPP said its investigation revealed a pickup truck driven by a 38-year-old man from Elginburg, Ont., was driving the wrong way in the eastbound lanes when his truck collided with a transport truck.

The driver of the pickup was arrested at the scene and transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, the OPP said. The driver of the transport truck was not injured.

OPP spokeswoman Const. Shannon Cork told TSN on Thursday that an investigation into the accident continues and that charges have not yet been laid.

Erskine’s former agent, Pat Morris, confirmed that his onetime client had been at a junior hockey game earlier on Tuesday night and was hospitalized after the accident. Erskine was severely injured, Morris said, adding that he didn’t have more details.

Erskine, a native of Kingston, Ont., played 491 games in the NHL with the Dallas Stars, New York Islanders and Washington Capitals between 2001 and 2014. The former London Knights player was selected by the Stars in the second round of the 1998 NHL entry draft.

https://www.tsn.ca/former-nhl-defenceman-erskine-severely-injured-in-highway-accident-1.1299786
:(

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
yeah, but it still seems like he... and Ken Holland in DET for that matter... are being promoted away from touching the team too much.
I have a hard time believing that. I know he hasn't been perfect, but he's the most successful expansion GM in modern North American sports. And he was universally praised for his most recent high profile move, getting Stone.

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
yeah, but it still seems like he... and Ken Holland in DET for that matter... are being promoted away from touching the team too much.
Vegas' announcement graphics indicate that McPhee will still have final say on all hockey operations decisions. This was more about keeping McCrimmon away from Edmonton than anything else. Similar to when the Capitals promoted Reirden from assistant coach to associate coach. It's a title and pay bump for McCrimmon, likely without substantial differences in responsibilities.

Reactions: calicapsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Similar to promoting Ross Mahoney to Asst GM. He still primarily runs the draft like before. His resume looks better and maybe his paycheck but he is doing basically the same work.

I was promoted once from program director to operations manager. Same job description. Slightly better pay. The raise I would have gotten anyway. My asst program director was promoted to program director and didn't the same work as before

Reactions: calicapsfan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Vegas' announcement graphics indicate that McPhee will still have final say on all hockey operations decisions. This was more about keeping McCrimmon away from Edmonton than anything else. Similar to when the Capitals promoted Reirden from assistant coach to associate coach. It's a title and pay bump for McCrimmon, likely without substantial differences in responsibilities.
I wish they'd do that at my job. Gonna have to find a new one if I don't get some recognition here soon.

Jun 15, 2007
Poor John
Eh...you typically don't get arrested unless for a collision unless its intentional or DUI...so yeah.

If they don't bring back Connolly, I wouldn't be entirely opposed on kicking the tires on a Mathieu Perreault re-union. Winnipeg is going to be looking to shed some salary, and he has two years remaining at $4.125M.

Hard no from me. Jets fans hate him and his contract.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
We have some work to do next months.

0) Stop talking on trading Niskanen or Orlov
1) Sign Hagelin
2) Uprgade Eller
3) Trade Holtby
4) Trade Vrana
5) Keep Orpik
6) Trade Djoos
7) Trade Burakovsky
8) Sign Connolly
9) Sign Panarin
10) get lot of F prospects in return of trades

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Sigh.

All this talk (and the Canes plundering of the Isles) just depresses me. Caps really could’ve won #2 before having to dismantle this group.

I don’t see them trading anyone, honestly. I think they let most of the forwards walk and plug in youth and cheap vet FA’s and then see what they have.

They won’t let Vrana go. And Stephenson is an RFA, yes? They may be the only F kept. That still leave a stacked D, stacked G and young F situation. Maybe Hags for 2.5 or so?

8-19-43
13-92-77
62-20-x
18-26-72

And then the kids. Prob 2-3m of cap space to fill in the holes.

I am not worried. But man — team def left some cards in the table this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad