Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 1: The BMac Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I'm not going to give any names because i don't know who is avaliable. But i think what we see is what you get from Orlov. There is nothing that makes you say wow. I think if the option came we can get someone better.

So you just want to say "Orlov makes mistakes, he isn't Norris level defender" and call that "you love Orlov a little too much". I see. I have no problem with that.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
It's hard to believe they'd be considered aggressively all-in if their only remaining business is to move Burakovsky and sign Vrana, Hagelin and a few cheap UFAs to round out the roster.

Was thinking similarly - also wonder how new/old that news is to Fridge. Were the Caps aggressively shopping Niskanen, and now are less intense, or is it in addition to the Niskanen move? I assume it's relatively fresh.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
BMac being aggressive is interesting. Probably has to move other salary out before making a big splash. First order of business should be getting Vrana signed and then going from there
I disagree because what they are able to do in free agency may determine if they want to go 2 6 or 8 years with Vrana based on how much they need this year and if they sign anyone more than 1 or 2 years.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
All signs point to Florida.

But I still want Panarin. 7x10. Trade Vrana for a 15th overall. Fill the rest of the roster with scrubs. It works financially.
Works financially but not on the ice. You do that and you've got a solid top 6 and a shit bottom six, plus whatever happens with the rest of the D. We've learned this lesson. Top heavy teams don't win championships. You need scoring balance and contributions throughout the lineup. I'm honestly shocked that there are still folks who don't get this.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Works financially but not on the ice. You do that and you've got a solid top 6 and a **** bottom six, plus whatever happens with the rest of the D. We've learned this lesson. Top heavy teams don't win championships. You need scoring balance and contributions throughout the lineup. I'm honestly shocked that there are still folks who don't get this.

I'd say we have a problem already with having Gudas/Jensen as Niskanen's replacements and some questions on the left side of D too. Elite bottom-6 or not, these guys better play good.

Also, this last Spring we had lots of bottom-6 quality players. Vrana/Bura, Connolly, Hagelin... Where did we get? Nowhere.

Because top guys like Holtby, Kuzy, Carlson, Niskanen (and Eller/Conno/Vrana to degree) did not play up to required level.

If top players are up to par next Spring Caps can live with less good guys in bottom-6 (especially if those are young energized guys like Malenstyn for example).

Caps downgraded from Beagle to Dowd and I dont see how that was the key. Kuzy scores 1-2 more and nobody notices any problem.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'd say we have a problem already with having Gudas/Jensen as Niskanen's replacements and some questions on the left side of D too. Elite bottom-6 or not, these guys better play good.

Also, this last Spring we had lots of bottom-6 quality players. Vrana/Bura, Connolly, Hagelin... Where did we get? Nowhere.

Because top guys like Holtby, Kuzy, Carlson, Niskanen (and Eller/Conno/Vrana to degree) did not play up to required level.

If top players are up to par next Spring Caps can live with less good guys in bottom-6 (especially if those are young energized guys like Malenstyn for example).

Caps downgraded from Beagle to Dowd and I dont see how that was the key. Kuzy scores 1-2 more and nobody notices any problem.
I don't agree. We'll see what happens with the D. And yes, Kuzy and Holts, especially, needed to be better. But going all the way requires contributions up and down the lineup. The first round may have been about injuries and not enough from some key guys, but we absolutely know that for getting past round 2, filling "the rest of the roster with scrubs" is a failed model.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
So you just want to say "Orlov makes mistakes, he isn't Norris level defender" and call that "you love Orlov a little too much". I see. I have no problem with that.
I mean i got no problem with you liking Orlov. But you act like this guy is the second coming of Bobby Orr. The guy is a decent defensemen. And yes I am hard on the guy. But now its time to put it all together. Especially with Nisky leaving. I would be open to trading Orlov because I think he has reached his ceiling.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
but we absolutely know that for getting past round 2, filling "the rest of the roster with scrubs" is a failed model.
Theyve had some monstrous teams top to bottom and haven’t got past round 2 except in 1990, the 2 years they make the Finals they relied on a fair amount of scrubs. They started the Cup year with major roles for Chiasson and DSP, Djoos and Bowey had to get ready, Stephenson too, really 22 months ago it was like wow we’ve got a lot of scrubs in the lineup. In 1998 they had 39 guys skate for them and had a ton of guys who didn’t play 82 more NHL games after the run.

My priority right now would be extending Backstrom because that’s the one fixed cost you’d like to know going forward.

Last edited:

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
As txpd said. We didn't put Orlov on the first line because of his skill. We put him there so Nisky could cover his *** when he made a made a mistake.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What other salary to move is there, though? Oshie? Orlov? Would they deal Vrana for a different style skilled player? Acquiring Gudas doesn't really fit Joe B's eye-opening category so you wonder...

It's hard to believe they'd be considered aggressively all-in if their only remaining business is to move Burakovsky and sign Vrana, Hagelin and a few cheap UFAs to round out the roster.

I said a while back I thought they'd mostly shuffle some guys at the bottom of the order and maybe replace Bura. I still think that's the likely result if they can't get value.

But if we're talking about big shakeup moves, here's some reckless theorizing: what if they're dangling Kuzy?

Reactions: searle

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Sundqvist is a UFA, would be great bottom 6 shutdown option

Daniel Carr was AHL mvp, could probably be had for a mil as a Connolly like signing. Plays attacking the net style that we need and hungry to prove himself as an NHLer. Should be good for 15g/15a on the 3rd line

Bura has no trade value, keep him at a low show me deal, put him in top 6 to boost value. Vrana on 3rd line to add offense

More swedes = easier to keep Backstrom at a discount.

OKW
Bura Backstrom Oshie
Carr Sundqvist Vrana
Hagelin Eller Boyd
Dowd xxx/Stephenson

Kempny Carlson
Orlov Jensen
Djoos Gudas

Also Tobias Rieder could be a great league min signing now that Edmonton tanked his value, in Phoenix he was a one man PK

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I said a while back I thought they'd mostly shuffle some guys at the bottom of the order and maybe replace Bura. I still think that's the likely result if they can't get value.

But if we're talking about big shakeup moves, here's some reckless theorizing: what if they're dangling Kuzy?

Then the they should be fired, you don't trade a player like that after a down year without giving him a chance to rebound. Imagine his value now vs a year ago off of a 36 point playoff run

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Then the they should be fired, you don't trade a player like that after a down year without giving him a chance to rebound. Imagine his value now vs a year ago off of a 36 point playoff run

I'm not saying trade him, I'm wearing a cloak and lurking in the shadows, throwing out wild theories that may be in play if there's something big cooking.

What if the video that surfaced is real, and the team knows more than we do? Maybe they'd be more likely to move him for a reason like that.

Like I said, RECKLESS OFFSEASON NONSENSE.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Theyve had some monstrous teams top to bottom and haven’t got past round 2 except in 1990, the 2 years they make the Finals they relied on a fair amount of scrubs. They started the Cup year with major roles for Chiasson and DSP, Djoos and Bowey had to get ready, Stephenson too, really 22 months ago it was like wow we’ve got a lot of scrubs in the lineup. In 1998 they had 39 guys skate for them and had a ton of guys who didn’t play 82 more NHL games after the run.

My priority right now would be extending Backstrom because that’s the one fixed cost you’d like to know going forward.
I suppose it depends on your definition of scrubs.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I'm not saying trade him, I'm wearing a cloak and lurking in the shadows, throwing out wild theories that may be in play if there's something big cooking.

What if the video that surfaced is real, and the team knows more than we do? Maybe they'd be more likely to move him for a reason like that.

Like I said, RECKLESS OFFSEASON NONSENSE.

Hey if it happens we can join Buffalo's support group next year after he wins the Conn Smythe for whoever gets him

Personally I'd need to see him do something as unsound of mind as turning down a line of uncut pro athlete grade Colombian with my own two eyes before okaying sending him away

Last edited:

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I suppose it depends on your definition of scrubs.
Free agent no one offered more than the minimum, guy on rookie deal acquired for less than 3rd round pick, or rookie outside your top 5 prospects, basically filling out the roster with the best minimum salaried players you can find.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
“Go for it mode,” as Friedman put it, suggests the Caps are really in win now mode. To me, that says there is a strong possibility acquiring a high impact, short term rental acquisition for one to two years. That certainly can provide a way to make the cap hit work- pay a higher price for salary retained. That potentially means high value assets like Johansen, Alexeyev, Samasonov and/or the first and/or second round pick going the other way.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
“Go for it mode,” as Friedman put it, suggests the Caps are really in win now mode. To me, that says there is a strong possibility acquiring a high impact, short term rental acquisition for one to two years. That certainly can provide a way to make the cap hit work- pay a higher price for salary retained. That potentially means high value assets like Johansen, Alexeyev, Samasonov and/or the first and/or second round pick going the other way.

It could also just mean they're looking for NHL Players and not picks or prospects in all trade discussions.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
It could also just mean they're looking for NHL Players and not picks or prospects in all trade discussions.
Yeah, I don’t know. GMBM was pretty clear about initially wanting another roster player as a return if they flipped Bura at the deadline and I don’t remember anyone ever describing the Caps as being in go for it mode back then. This seems like more elevated language, but I suppose we’ll all find out in due time. I didn’t really think they would make another Shattenkirk type move unless they were able to hold onto the player for a second season, as with Brassard and Muzzin more recently. We shall see.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sundqvist is RFA.

I could see Toffoli with salary retained being a top target of theirs. He could be rent-to-own ala Gudas depending on performance and how the numbers add up and slide into Connolly's spot. Whether that costs the first rounder or Burakovsky and the second or something, who knows. Ideally, I'd only deal the first rounder for someone with more term but I can see the one year remaining appealing to them given the Holtby/Backstrom decisions. On that note, they ought to be well down that road with both in a month at most so they can plan further ahead. For that reason alone it's hard to see them being heavy players in UFA with term unless maybe they're planning on Holtby being essentially a rental and letting him walk in a year as their way of restructuring.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I disagree because what they are able to do in free agency may determine if they want to go 2 6 or 8 years with Vrana based on how much they need this year and if they sign anyone more than 1 or 2 years.
That strategy could also back them into a corner and really limit what they are able to do once free agency starts

Jun 15, 2007
Works financially but not on the ice. You do that and you've got a solid top 6 and a **** bottom six, plus whatever happens with the rest of the D. We've learned this lesson. Top heavy teams don't win championships. You need scoring balance and contributions throughout the lineup. I'm honestly shocked that there are still folks who don't get this.

I totally disagree . The only thing that matters is that players play at or above their cap hit.

If you have 6 10m players and 14 1m players, you can still do well if everyone plays better or above their contracts.

Any example you can think of where a top heavy team failed it was because their top players weren't playing well, not because their salary structure.

Chicago isn't bad because they are top heavy. They are bad because Seabrook and Toews aren't worth it.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yeah if Sundqvist is RFA there goes that. Thought nhlnumbers had him listed as UFA.

I guess they can keep going with Dowd at 4C, he did take a step forward this season so maybe he can take another one.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
That strategy could also back them into a corner and really limit what they are able to do once free agency starts
I’m saying wait to negotiate with Vrana until after free agency to give more options when free agency starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad