Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 4: 2020, Act II, Scene II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think there is some validity in this - people do votes of confidence/no confidence all the time. But right before the trade deadline is the worst time to do it. Need to keep your cards close to your chest.
If we, for a minute, imagine that Maclellan prefers to keep his mouth shut in order to deal Jensen at the deadline for the best possible offer then I take that, we'll see what he gets for him and go from there. If he doesn't trade him then there's no reason to just avoid answers just because.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Jensen doesnt have a benefit of a doubt. No track record of NHL play, and the age he got into NHL signals its not easily fixable. You cant teach an old guy things he should have gathered u20. Thats true with 90+ % of athletes.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If we, for a minute, imagine that Maclellan prefers to keep his mouth shut in order to deal Jensen at the deadline for the best possible offer then I take that, we'll see what he gets for him and go from there. If he doesn't trade him then there's no reason to just avoid answers just because.

I think GMBM keeps his mouth shut about players around the deadline in general, not just Jensen specifically. I guess you hear rumours, but nothing from him personally. About anyone at all, or at least until after the deadline.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

What if he wants to find an upgrade, searches high and low, but doesn't like the cost to trade for an upgrade so he stands pat. In that scenario, what should he tell the public?

Simple fact is, a GM should not share his plans publicly with any specificity... just generic "we'd like to add some depth" or "if we see an opportunity to improve our club, we'll consider it". Talking about individual players has ZERO upside for the team and plenty of potential downside.

Time to move along this line of thinking.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
3 days until the next game feels like an eternity right now.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I am starting to think that Fever's offensive game/production is a part of his cupboard that is going to blossom at some point. You see the incredible skating, smooth hands, high hockey IQ, and mobility, paired with flashes of dynamic offensive play, every now and then. We know that defense is his strong suit, but, with his skill-set and talent, it makes you wonder if his offensive game will breakout in the future. There is just too much there, in terms of toolbox. Fever, even as a pure DD with mobility, could be a nucleus player for us. But, with his other qualities, it seems like he could be one of those players that puts the offensive side of his game together and puts up point totals at the NHL level far past those that he did as a prospect. In Hershey, he does have 14 points in 45 games. So, that's a promising sign.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Fever
AA-Solid RD Pickup.

Our future D-Core is going to look nice, nice, nice.

If we keep Gudas, that'd be great - at the right price and term.
I don't see Jensen lasting four years in Washington and while we may lose Kempny in the expansion draft (if it's not Oshie), we will have a solid nucleus on the back-end to build around, regardless.

*I think if there's one of our D prospects to play on their off-side, it'd be Fever.* He said he's comfortable playing at either position and has been playing on his off-side on Hershey at times, too.

EDIT: I'm an idiot and forgot Siegs!

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I prefer not to think too hard about that. Lets see him be a solid NHL defenseman first. Look at how long Carlson's offensive skills took to develop. See how much growth yet Orlov has offensively. See how many young and offensively skilled defenseman show up and then after making a splash spend years struggling.
Lets go one step at a time here.

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I prefer not to think too hard about that. Lets see him be a solid NHL defenseman first. Look at how long Carlson's offensive skills took to develop. See how much growth yet Orlov has offensively. See how many young and offensively skilled defenseman show up and then after making a splash spend years struggling.
Lets go one step at a time here.
All fair points!

I just love to see that kind of potential and growth from a prospect. It will take years to develop, but, I see it in him.

On Orlov - he honestly has the talent of high-end forwards, it's crazy. When he's in the 'zone', he can dangle and skate past anyone. I've always viewed him as a defender with the talent to be able to put up 40-plus point seasons, but, I see now that it's more important - for the team and for him - to be a solid, two-way defender, rather than a pure offensive dynamo. He really has gotten rid of those boneheaded mistakes - out of trying to do too much, not a lack of effort - that plagued him at times years past.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Fever
AA-Solid RD Pickup.

Our future D-Core is going to look nice, nice, nice.

If we keep Gudas, that'd be great - at the right price and term.
I don't see Jensen lasting four years in Washington and while we may lose Kempny in the expansion draft (if it's not Oshie), we will have a solid nucleus on the back-end to build around, regardless.

*I think if there's one of our D prospects to play on their off-side, it'd be Fever.* He said he's comfortable playing at either position and has been playing on his off-side on Hershey at times, too.

One step at a time. Siegenthaler has proven already to be a solid to outstanding situational defenseman at a young age and experience level. I would suggest that if Fehervary can truly handle the Orlov pair that Siegenthaler on the 3rd pair is more likely

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
One step at a time. Siegenthaler has proven already to be a solid to outstanding situational defenseman at a young age and experience level. I would suggest that if Fehervary can truly handle the Orlov pair that Siegenthaler on the 3rd pair is more likely
Ahhh, I knew I forgot someone.

Yeah, I think Siegs is a long-term piece too.

Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Fever
Siegs-AA

Two on their off-side?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
All fair points!

I just love to see that kind of potential and growth from a prospect. It will take years to develop, but, I see it in him.

On Orlov - he honestly has the talent of high-end forwards, it's crazy. When he's in the 'zone', he can dangle and skate past anyone. I've always viewed him as a defender with the talent to be able to put up 40-plus point seasons, but, I see now that it's more important - for the team and for him - to be a solid, two-way defender, rather than a pure offensive dynamo. He really has gotten rid of those boneheaded mistakes - out of trying to do too much, not a lack of effort - that plagued him at times years past.

Orlov is miscast. I say it all the time. His assignment is defense first and his skill set is left shot and so he cant use his dynamic game very often.

He is still capable of pizzas and gave up several terrible turnovers just last night. RMNB talked about it this morning. But that happens with players that carry the puck a lot. Orlov would be able to achieve his upside were he on a different team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ahhh, I knew I forgot someone.

Yeah, I think Siegs is a long-term piece too.

Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Fever
Siegs-AA

Two on their off-side?

Very unlikely that the Caps use Fehervary, Siegenthaler and Alexyev at the same time. That's not nearly enough experience. Defense is at least as much about experience as it is ability. That's too young to be competitive. Especially when you consider how low Kempny's games played are too

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Very unlikely that the Caps use Fehervary, Siegenthaler and Alexyev at the same time. That's not nearly enough experience. Defense is at least as much about experience as it is ability. That's too young to be competitive. Especially when you consider how low Kempny's games played are too

3 years from now, the Caps are planning on exactly that IMO. Barring a big trade that moves one out.....AA is bringing up the rear at this point....

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We will see. 2 makes perfect sense. 3 with the 7th another kid will be hard to make work.
At the time AA gets up full-time Siege and Fever will have many seasons in adult hockey under their belts.

One of them will play with Carlson which makes that pair kinda acceptable. Strong mobile young defensive guy + John Norris.

Another one could be playing on the 3rd pair (maybe it will become 2nd by that time, nevermind) with some guy like Gudas. I guess it's doable to get him a partner who will fit. When I imagine Fever-Gudas or Siege-Gudas I have no problem at all.

So the really weaker pair (temporarily) will be Orlov-AA (#RussianSix, you know). Maybe Orlov goes right side (has history there as well as Fever). Doesnt look like the end of the world.

PS: Siege will be the cheapest of them, so long term he is safe. Goes nowhere.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I would take any honest answer even if it's obviously something delusional.

The question I'd like to see asked is "Why is the power play so crappy and why does Forsythe still have a job when it's obvious he has no f***ing clue and his changes have made it even worse?"

To me this is the team's most significant problem and it absolutely MUST be fixed by the time they start the post season. A powerplay that is only 6.9% effective (or whatever the hell it is the last 20+ games) is NOT going to win you a Cup.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
When do you guys think Alexeyev makes a debut? And how is he doing in Hershey? I’m not able to watch any bears games. It’s also awesome to see how good Mcmicheal is playing, he really might be the future for us.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
At the time AA gets up full-time Siege and Fever will have many seasons in adult hockey under their belts.

Adult hockey and NHL hockey are different things. A rookie, a 2nd year defenseman and a 3rd year defenseman is not enough experience.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps did practice today:

Saw that. Reirden said pre game that the Caps would get two days of practice after a day off after the game. Appears the crappy play v LA got the day off benched.

How that effects 42, I don't know. The daily eval on the roster indicates he may play v the Flyers but the reassign with practice there indicates otherwise. Will just wait and see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad