Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 2: Happy Hockey Days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Caps are in trouble. At least according to the geniuses on the main board.

“Defensively they are pretty bad so far. It’s amazing they keep winning games and they’ve played the hardest strength of schedule in the league. The offense inevitably will hit a skid. When it does that D will have to tighten up or they’ll have problems”

Reactions: Heath

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

“Defensively they are pretty bad so far. It’s amazing they keep winning games and they’ve played the hardest strength of schedule in the league. The offense inevitably will hit a skid. When it does that D will have to tighten up or they’ll have problems”

I mean, they're not wrong. We do have to tighten up some. We are pretty leaky, and if you can point to a weakness on this Caps team, that's it.

Some of that is inherent just because of the style we play, and also some of that IS because of who we played (.602 SOS now which is the highest in the league).

NHL Relative Power Index - 2019-2020 - National Hockey League - ESPN

GAA should come down some once we start playing more offensively inept teams.

But it's also an area where we can improve. The season is still so young, and the Caps have shown the ability to win despite their defensive lapses and turnovers. They have the offense to erase deficits early and late. Cant even imagine how the team will look once its firing on all cylinders.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Yea, nah. The Caps are not in trouble. They are playing a completely new system with a completely reworked defense corp. The Caps have held a 3rd period or later lead in all but 2 games this season. To have played the schedule they have played with a completely new system and the defense changes and be that dominant is not a sign of trouble. That story would indicate that they have a good bit of room to improve. That should scare the shit out of fans of any other eastern team.

Typically, the league gets progressively tighter in 20 game increments. First 20 is new systems, new players, new roles then evaluate. The Caps system is working. The defense questions are being answered. Kempny has recovered and the new system fits him. I see good and bad and settled and unsettled things about the other 4. The league will slow down their penalty call rate, the Caps will settle into their system and at least a couple more of the defensemen will settle into their roles. Frankly chasing the Caps from behind looks rather daunting

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I can't stop thinking about how f***ing dominant we are capable of playing - and how often we do. Todd has instilled a great system and honestly I think that this team can win the Cup as is. I know it's early (and that we need to tighten up our D a little), but, we can do great things this year.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

I mean we won't finish with 130 points probably... so I guess we'll struggle more than we have so far.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I mean, they're not wrong. We do have to tighten up some. We are pretty leaky, and if you can point to a weakness on this Caps team, that's it.

Some of that is inherent just because of the style we play, and also some of that IS because of who we played (.602 SOS now which is the highest in the league).

NHL Relative Power Index - 2019-2020 - National Hockey League - ESPN

GAA should come down some once we start playing more offensively inept teams.

But it's also an area where we can improve. The season is still so young, and the Caps have shown the ability to win despite their defensive lapses and turnovers. They have the offense to erase deficits early and late. Cant even imagine how the team will look once its firing on all cylinders.

For sure. I have faith that that'll happen.

I think the implication was that the Caps scoring is a fluke and when it comes down to earth, they'll be in trouble.

IMHO, I think any regression in scoring will be met with an equal amount of tightening up the defence.

Caps will be fine.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Am I wrong or is this not enough to activate Panik?

I don't know. If its not enough, what would the strategy be?

The Caps have only single game road trips in the north east til the end of the month when not at home. Might be they want to go with just 6 defensemen and bank some cap.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I don't know. If its not enough, what would the strategy be?

The Caps have only single game road trips in the north east til the end of the month when not at home. Might be they want to go with just 6 defensemen and bank some cap.

I am guessing Hagelin is still hurt- plus they’ve been happy with Boyd’s four assists in five games and overall play of late.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Rinkside update had Siege as top-30 in the league in ES GA. Best on Caps. 7 goals against for the season so far. Might be the reason he is still not in ECHL.

They are giving him a shot to sink or swim and good on them. Everyone on these boards wants him to succeed.

Here are his underlying numbers, they are "ok":
Jonas Siegenthaler - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

My biggest problem with him is HE will usually be the one to make the mistake that HE, most of the time, has been able to correct.

Like he caused the car accident but helps pull people from the wreckage so he looks like a hero.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Another tidbit from Rinkside:

Siege said d-core is the same age basically and everyone is experienced and ready to help him out. He can ask anyone nearest and will get his answer.

Thinking about it defenders are really not old and not young besides Siege. They can have several good years in front of them getting in their prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad