Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Stop. Seriously. Just stop.

The new narrative won’t stand this type of stuff. Track records don’t mean dick. It’s the past 40 games that are precursor’s to the future.

#capsretool
#futureisnow

Wow it's really easy to seem smart when you argue against things literally no one has ever said.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't think the cap math works with Nyquist as a straight addition with nothing leaving. Their current cap space listing says it's the "total sum of full cap values that can be added" so IINM they're only projected to be able to add $1.1M in AAV at the deadline. Salary retention would help but not for the majority of the top six rentals. I think they'd move Johansen over the first if it comes to it but even Burakovsky+Johansen for Nyquist I'm not so sure about. As mentioned re: some of the other options, would they find large enough of a role to warrant the cost of such an addition (particularly a rental)? It may be both difficult to integrate such a player, esp. if they're fine with Vrana at 2LW, and also to make any case for them being more than just rental depth given the likelihood of both a larger role and more $$$ elsewhere in UFA. While they should be aggressive, I think if they're going to do that then it needs to be for a player that they have every reason to believe would both fit exceedingly well and not just be a rental player.

It's why I'd wager they only end up adding someone like Hagelin or Lewis and trade/waive Jaskin if need be. It would be another depth player with Cup experience to join the group as they try to transition into being more fully all-in every game. They could use a little something extra on the third line but I'm not sure the fit is out there given that it likely has to be Burakovsky heading out for cap purposes. If they could squeeze someone on a lower AAV like Dzingel maybe that's worth paying up but the options are pretty limited IMO. As-is with Burakovsky showing something of a pulse, I'm guessing they just tweak and look for value ala Kempny.

Only for Toffoli. The Burakovsky scenario.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I can't believe you think saying Backstrom would get 10m a year as a UFA is 'drivel'

If Auston Matthews can sign a 5 year for 11.6m a year that buys one UFA year, negotiating with one team only, you don't think someone would offer Backstrom 10m a year in UFA, negotiating with 32 teams?

Not at 34. No.. but we’ve been over this.

And it was also what he will get. Won’t be 10m a season.

Edit — it’s also ironic that you want to skewer and ship out Niskanen for a poor 40 games...yet Backstrom has a poor 30 or so games and he deserves a 50% raise. Both have a lot of strong time left, and BOTH should be part of the future.

See what I’m saying here. I’m sure after last year, Niskanen would have earned 8m a year too. You love to jump to value conclusions on here after short periods.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
LOL. It’s just some good ol hyperbole. Akin to the **** many others (including and especially guys like you) spout here daily.

I’m sure you can understand that part? If you don’t see it, then you are blind.

Please use less complex methods when responding to me, remember I'm not the smartest guy on here:)

Reactions: calicapsfan

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Chill out guys, no one can predict the future
hssmj8ampkcmmcdsto3h.gif

Reactions: searle

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
My buddy got his yesterday. Came with the renewal bill I think.

Capitals season-ticket holders are receiving a surprise gift in the mail: a Stanley Cup ring

Post pictures when you get it please.

I mean that thing is ugly as hell and I don't think anyone would ever wear it in public but that is just so cool of Ted to do. What a great owner.

I feel really bad for anyone who didn't renew their season tickets last year.

Holy shit. Will post pics. Kinda crazy excited right now.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Capitals season-ticket holders are receiving a surprise gift in the mail: a Stanley Cup ring

Post pictures when you get it please.

I mean that thing is ugly as hell and I don't think anyone would ever wear it in public but that is just so cool of Ted to do. What a great owner.

I feel really bad for anyone who didn't renew their season tickets last year.
Not gonna lie, they don't look that different from the Chinese knockoff ring I bought on Amazon for 8 bucks, and mine came with a nice wood case.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Can anyone recall seeing Djoos get injured, or know what his injuries were over the past 2 years? Folks poo poo Jerabek but he was a capable placeholder to let Djoos mend.

He is very poised on the puck, and has a very slick first step as he moves to open space and buy himself time to find the open man to spring the breakout.

He is a great partner for Orpik who did a masterful job saving his butt a few times in the finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: kicksavedave

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Not gonna lie, they don't look that different from the Chinese knockoff ring I bought on Amazon for 8 bucks, and mine came with a nice wood case.

It really is the thought that counts though. Very good of Ted to do this.

For comparisons sake, this is one I got my son for Christmas. Slightly better I think but cost more I bet.

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 4.26.21 PM.png

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
This is a new level of sad....helping someone with their insults lol....

I was really hurt by the first comment....and then @Bieronymus Trotz piling on has left me feeling hollow and alone and scared.

Oh wait a minute (slaps forehead)...it’s a message board....where people come to argue and disagree. And long standing simmerings “bubble up” from time to time.

Never mind......I guess I’m ok after all. Phew. That was close.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I think it’s interesting that the Caps stopped scouting the Kings after Toffoli was taken off the market. I’d assume that means he was their target there or that another deal fell through

Reactions: Stan Galiev
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad