Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
No....what else does it say?
Was about him possibly being the best Swedish forward of all time. Just some stats, underrated talk, etc. Nothing crazy for a backstrom article.

There was a cool tidbit about a poll by a Swedish paper last year polling all the Swedish NHLers about who the best one was... Nick B won by a mile.

Not sure if it’s allowed but:
Veteran Swedish writer Per Bjurman recently polled most of the Swedish players in the NHL, asking who was the top Swedish player in the NHL.
“And almost everyone picked Nicklas Backstrom,” Bjurman said. “That’s saying something. He is one the greatest playmakers and two-way forwards we’ve ever had, and he just seems to get better and better.”

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Article was actually more substantial than I remembered. Some good quotes from Alan May, Reirden, GMBM about the things that make him so good. Some good specifics from Niskanen too and a nice story from Nate Schmidt about a moment in practice back in his rookie year.

Another cool tidbit was how big of a leader he was in the locker room when they struggled early vs CBJ

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have no problem with Bowey or Kempsie leading us in minors. In fact its what we should all expect to happen. Lower rung greenhorn journey inexperienced defensemen just take penalties. They are going to make calls us no matter what we do, and we don't want forwards taking them... so who do you want? Certainly not the top pair / PK guys.

I actually miss the day that commentators and fans openly admitted good penalties. Back in the day, it was a point man tripping a guy before he can be sprung on a breakaway. As a cup champ, they are simply going to call everything.

Jun 15, 2007
It's good that Wilson is now scoring at a good rate because the suspensions have absolutely neutered him physically.

He actually gets out of the way instead of finishing his checks now.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
It's good that Wilson is now scoring at a good rate because the suspensions have absolutely neutered him physically.

This vid is not conclusive yet because he wasn't frustrated back then. I'd like to see if he can avoid these when frustrated.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Article was actually more substantial than I remembered. Some good quotes from Alan May, Reirden, GMBM about the things that make him so good. Some good specifics from Niskanen too and a nice story from Nate Schmidt about a moment in practice back in his rookie year.

Another cool tidbit was how big of a leader he was in the locker room when they struggled early vs CBJ
Does anyone have a link for this article?

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England

I honestly think Aho (think it's him) should get a call from the department of player safety, he put himself in an AWFUL position there, could have gotten seriously hurt if Wilson had tried to check him.

They seriously need to start addressing the guy taking the hit when they're putting themselves in danger like that

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

If he was going to almost kill a guy this week I’m glad it was a Penguin

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Is Vrana quietly becoming a star on this team? That was a sensational play on his part for the 3rd goal.

I'm taking this post from the GDT, because I was thinking about it.

I don't think "star" is the correct word, yet, but he is pricing himself into another tier. I wonder if there have been talks because locking him up on a long term deal would be optimal right about now.

He is pacing to destroy his goals and points career high. Coming out of his ELC Burka got 3 mil with a lot less production than this season looks to be going for Vrana. I really hope they can lock up Vrana for that price, maybe slightly more for added years.

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I'm taking this post from the GDT, because I was thinking about it.

I don't think start is the correct word, yet, but he is pricing himself into another tier. I wonder if there have been talks because locking him up on a long term deal would be optimal right about now.

He is pacing to destroy his goals and points career high. Coming out of his ELC Burka got 3 mil with a lot less production than this season looks to be going for Vrana. I really hope they can lock up Vrana for that price, maybe slightly more for added years.
Last year his on ice shooting % was an inexplicable 8%, 2nd lowest among forwards after DSP, and it wasn’t anything obvious like him shooting center mass or too soft. This year his shooting % and on ice shooting % are up 50%, and he’s not just finishing better but making more chances like tonight right before the goal someone set him up, D makes a play and he looks for the call and still creates the goal with a takeaway and finish. I watched that Instagram story 100 times and he looks so much thicker this year.

They’ve got control of Vrana for 4 seasons after this one, plus they don’t have to worry about 18 or 29 needing much, he signs for 8 years he can still have a reasonable shot at free agency.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They’ve got control of Vrana for 4 seasons after this one, plus they don’t have to worry about 18 or 29 needing much, he signs for 8 years he can still have a reasonable shot at free agency.

The biggest difference now though is that guys are looking to get paid on their second contract not their third because the trend is unless you are a superstar you aren't getting a long term deal at 27/28 anymore (think Pacioretty).

Let's hope he isn't repped by Nylander's agent. :crossfing:laugh:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
As i said it way before the season started, the team doesn't need a backup. Copley was and is alright. They needed Holtby to be his oldself. This season is kind of a rollercoaster for him but overall he's slowly getting it together.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
As i said it way before the season started, the team doesn't need a backup. Copley was and is alright. They needed Holtby to be his oldself. This season is kind of a rollercoaster for him but overall he's slowly getting it together.
Holtby has been much better, and Copley has been a great surprise.

I wonder where Samsonov fits in now.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Holtby has been much better, and Copley has been a great surprise.

I wonder where Samsonov fits in now.

Same exact place he was before the season started. Copley is only two years younger than Holtby.

Holtby/Copley get this season and next, barring injuries, then Samsonov gets a shot. Samsonov may also be Holtby's backup next season if they can't re-sign UFA Copley.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I would love for Copley to keep up his play and increase his value. Then in the off-season we can unload him for something good to a team in desperation for a goalie...... maybe st.louis??? :sarcasm:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I like our team. In the past knowing doom lay ahead we would nit pick and rip the team to prove it was doomed. If we did that now, who would we rip?

Is Reirden just too together in every comment he makes to the media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad