Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
Idk what exactly happened with Berglund in buffalo but I always thought he was a solid player in St.Louis no? Maybe a nice buy low option?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Idk what exactly happened with Berglund in buffalo but I always thought he was a solid player in St.Louis no? Maybe a nice buy low option?

He has been terrible the entire season so their coach kept demoting him and he didn't improve so they left him out of the line-up and he refused to report? Massive red flags all over that dime in a dozen player who is also not nearly worth what he is paid for.

He should head to the KHL next. Pass.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Berglund is going to land somewhere and the same fans that are blasting him today are going to be excited their team picked him up for nothing and he will contribute nothing and add to the existentialism in that community just like Mike Richards

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jun 15, 2007
I could see him signing here. Maybe Oshie vouches for him.

I also think we should remember this when we talk about Backstrom's next contract. Laid back Swedish guys aren't doormats. Chris Kuc of the athletic thinks Backstrom will get 10m/year.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
:laugh:

An NHL video I was watching just now suggested that Ovechkin needs a "laying down on his belly" statue in the fountain where that video was taken, and I'm really into the idea of that.

they should literally just make this into statues.

caps_in_fountain.png

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Anyone else read the amazing article on Backstrom that Burnside did for the athletic.

10/10.

When all is said and done, will he be the best Swedish forward ever?

He won't be better than peak Peter Forsberg, but Backstrom's prime has clearly lasted longer than the injury-plagued Forsberg's. On the longevity front he has to compete with Sundin and the Sedins.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Couple of Capitals quotes on 31 thoughts:

20. Someone made an interesting comparison this week…Alexander Ovechkin to Steve Yzerman. Yzerman had a phenomenal career well before he won his first Stanley Cup in Year 14, lighting up the NHL season after season. We all know the story. He changed his game, won two more times, adding a gold medal for fun. People spoke a lot differently of his legacy after 1997 than before. We’re seeing the same path for Ovechkin, who climbed the mountain in Year 13. The only difference is Ovechkin’s numbers aren’t declining.

21. The Capitals have made it clear that if they do make an Andre Burakovsky trade, they aren’t interested in futures (unless they know those futures can be used to add something right away). They are in it to repeat, and trading him for something that doesn’t add to those chances is not appealing for them. They are an analytically inclined organization, they know Burakovsky’s numbers are pretty good for someone who doesn’t get a ton of power play time.

22. I did have a friend very excited this week that he found the Capitals at 12-1 and the Penguins at 30-1 to win it all.

23. The league’s a more exciting place when Pittsburgh and Washington are spitting fire at each other. Guess neither team is satisfied after combining to win the past three Stanley Cups.

24. Thursday morning, hours after watching the Tom Wilson-Jamie Oleksiak fight, an Eastern Conference GM said that his team wanted to sign Ryan Reaves last summer as “Tom Wilson protection” but Reaves cleary wanted to go back west.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Note: the Capitals didn't even have an official analytics department until 2015. Glad to see how quickly that has changed. Kudos to GMBM for sticking it out, especially given the very early returns on the analytics department was the acquisition of Curtis Glencross which clearly didn't work out well.

Reactions: 442

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Good piece on Kempny that is extremely laudatory toward Reirden
Living the Dream
"Once he got here, it was just a matter of putting him in situations where he would have a chance to succeed," says Reirden. "I didn't mind putting him on his wrong side [with Orpik] to start with, letting him get his feet wet and then getting to work on him. I saw that he hadn't thought about the game the way that our other defenseman have been taught to think about the game, so I knew there was going to be more work than expected.

"I figured that even though we believed that he and John would make a nice pairing, I thought we would let it go for a little bit to let him get his feet wet because otherwise he was going to make the same mistakes, and then John would lose confidence in him. And then the next thing you know, everyone else is going to lose confidence in him. So let's let him play on the wrong side for a bit, and then there is an easy answer as to why it's not working."
"I signed the contract because I knew that Todd was going to be here and I wanted to play under him," Kempny declares. "He helped me a lot when I got here. I had a couple of bad games and I still played. So I am really excited to be here and play under him."

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think that Eastern Conference team was probably the Rangers, as there was a lot linking Reaves to them at the time. Makes sense for a younger rebuilding team. They brought back McLeod instead after Reaves re-signed and traded for McQuaid.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I saw Semin got a KHL hat trick the other day. Trending up at the ripe age of 34.
Let's go GMBM, Semin and Green at the deadline. Laich should be well-rested, too. The grizzled-frazzled Young Guns. Backstrom could probably still make them into a net-positive unit, heh. The NHL won't know what hit 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad