Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Dude. One drives play from his position, scores more, and is a fixture on the PK. The other....does none of that, and adds very little to the game unless he's scoring (which he hasnt done much of in recent months).

AND? they make within 500k of each other. So which is more valuable??

You dont see the difference?
Eller hasn't been driving the play at all. And is he great on the pk? He is OK.
Eller isnt a great offensive player. He is defensively responsible but he is far from a selke candidate. He is a career minus player. He is known to take lazy penalties. He isnt a physical presence. He is slightly below average on faceoffs. He doesnt have a great shot. He takes a lot of low percentage shots which usually results in an easy save and a change of possession. His passing is average at best. Skating is average. His strength is his possession with the puck. And that usually amounts to nothing. Too many times I have seen him maintain possession for quite awhile and instead of cycling behind the net he will skate back towards the blue line and try to throw a low percentage shot on net.
Is this inaccurate?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He steps up when we need him? A few decent games isnt really stepping up. I find it funny how everyone here trashes a player like Burakovsky. Deservedly so. Eller is only a small step above Burakovsky. At this point in the season Eller might even be playing worse.

We are clearly not watching the same player. Outside of maybe Kadri I take Eller over every 3C center in the East (and most of the West as well) because he can, and does, step up when needed.

I am actually struggling to think of better third line centers beyond Kadri, MAYBE Bonino or the 3C in San Jose???

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We are clearly not watching the same player. Outside of maybe Kadri I take Eller over every 3C center in the East (and most of the West as well) because he can, and does, step up when needed.

I am actually struggling to think of better third line centers beyond Kadri, MAYBE Bonino or the 3C in San Jose???
I posted my thoughts about different parts of his game. Do you disagree?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I posted my thoughts about different parts of his game. Do you disagree?

You said he was streaky and takes too many penalties. I guess neither of those things bother me too much.

I think he a better version of the proto-typical 3C and for his price, at his age, he is an absolute steal.

Reactions: Drakon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Eller hasn't been driving the play at all. And is he great on the pk? He is OK.
Eller isnt a great offensive player. He is defensively responsible but he is far from a selke candidate. He is a career minus player. He is known to take lazy penalties. He isnt a physical presence. He is slightly below average on faceoffs. He doesnt have a great shot. He takes a lot of low percentage shots which usually results in an easy save and a change of possession. His passing is average at best. Skating is average. His strength is his possession with the puck. And that usually amounts to nothing. Too many times I have seen him maintain possession for quite awhile and instead of cycling behind the net he will skate back towards the blue line and try to throw a low percentage shot on net.
Is this inaccurate?

Honestly? You seem to take the negative play of certain players, and highlight/focus on it....and it alone. Eller, Niskanen, Grubauer, to name a few.

Eller is very very strong w the puck. He has really good vision, and is a good passer. I agree he doesnt have a consistently good shot, but I have seen some very good shots from him.

I think he is a pretty physical player. He wins more battles along the boards than he loses, he's very hard to take the puck from (which to me connotes physicality and strength), he certainly drives possession = drives play.

He's inconsistent, for sure. But he's a workhorse who shows up to play every night. He doesnt take nights off, at all. For 3.5m, hes a great value.

You seem to want every player to be better than their contracts. Thats misguided, IMO. From where I sit, the only players that are playing beneath their contracts, on a consistent basis, are now....Burakovsky. Thats it. It used to be Orpik, but thats been remedied.

That is also why Bura is the current whipping boy of the board. The fact that he is the only one, is also why this team won the Cup

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
You seem to want every player to be better than their contracts. Thats misguided, IMO.
I don't think that's so bad if they used a larger sample size, and if you expand it to 7 games or more it includes a Stanley Cup winning goal and he's underpaid.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You said he was streaky and takes too many penalties. I guess neither of those things bother me too much.

I think he a better version of the proto-typical 3C and for his price, at his age, he is an absolute steal.
He is no steal if he continues to play the way he is. His only point of the season is a goal in game one. The 7th goal of a 7-0 blow out. Then he over celebrates and gets attacked and beat up by a dwarf.
He is also a minus 6 on the season. Is that a clutch player? Not getting much for his salary. His cap hit is 3.5 million per season but his actually salary this season is 5 million. Hus salary makes it look even worse.
Even if he does turn things around and has 20 or so good games. Does that make up for the other 60 that were garbage?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He is no steal if he continues to play the way he is. His only point of the season is a goal in game one. The 7th goal of a 7-0 blow out. Then he over celebrates and gets attacked and beat up by a dwarf.
He is also a minus 6 on the season. Is that a clutch player? Not getting much for his salary. His cap hit is 3.5 million per season but his actually salary this season is 5 million. Hus salary makes it look even worse.
Even if he does turn things around and has 20 or so good games. Does that make up for the other 60 that were garbage?

IT'S BEEN SIX GAMES!!!!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

I didn't realize the season was over already.

Reactions: Drakon

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I didn't realize the season was over already.
Did you not read what I said? I said so what if he turns it around and has 20 good games this season. Does that make up for the other 60? That's always been his trend. A couple good games and then 10 bad games. I think the bad games out weigh the good games. I'm not just talking about offensive production.
I'd take guys like Wilson, Stephenson, DSP or even Beagle when he was here over Eller. Because those players bring it most games. I think Stephenson is a way better all round player and could easily be a 3rd line center.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Eller is very very strong w the puck. He has really good vision, and is a good passer. I agree he doesnt have a consistently good shot, but I have seen some very good shots from him.

Eller scored 2 of the Caps biggest playoff goals because he went to the net. The winner in g3 v cbj and the cup winner. That's all about effort and desire.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Did you not read what I said? I said so what if he turns it around and has 20 good games this season. Does that make up for the other 60? That's always been his trend. A couple good games and then 10 bad games. I think the bad games out weigh the good games. I'm not just talking about offensive production.
I'd take guys like Wilson, Stephenson, DSP or even Beagle when he was here over Eller. Because those players bring it most games. I think Stephenson is a way better all round player and could easily be a 3rd line center.

So um....that’s your assessment. Lars Eller plays 20 good games a year and 60+ bad ones?

What was GMBM thinking extending this bum!?

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
I'm convinced this is a parody account.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

You didnt even respond to my actual post on the topic brother. You asked what I thought of his play, I told you, and you ignored it

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I think anyone I would trust as GM last year would have resigned Kuzy, Orlov, and Oshie and let go of Shat, Alzner, and Williams, but going Eller over Mojo won them a Cup. And nothing any player did last regular season or will likely do this regular season will help them win a Cup this year than Eller leaving money on the table and taking average 3C money.

He is an ad for guys misused on other teams, get to Washington become a national hero. I remember thinking if it couldn’t be Ovy with the Cup winner I was glad it was Eller because Denmark would make a huge deal of it.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Capitals comparison after 7 games:

2017-18: 3-3-1 (7pts)
2018-19: 3-2-2 (8pts)

Goals for 2017-18: 23
Goals for 2018-19: 29

Goals against 2017-18: 24
Goals against 2018-19: 28

Goal differential 2017-2018: -1
Goal differential 2018-19: +1

Nearly identical. In fact a little better this year. But we all know last year was a doomed season, so it's clearly time to panic.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Did someone notice that Eller started to play better right after they removed Burakovsky from his line?
I feel bad for Bura, I see him trying hard, but nothing works...

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'm just mad that Eller wasted one of his 20 good games in an October loss.
Actually he has had one alright game out of 7 which means he is on pace for only 12 decent games. He better pick up the pace if he wants to reach 20.
Just a reminder Eller also put one in our net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad