Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
well that is a highly random stat, just picking out a random stretch of 82 games.

I mean I agree that he should get more recognition and it's largely because he's on a team with not just Ovechkin but with Holtby, Backstrom and Carlson as well.

I think when it's all done he may end up being the 2nd best Cap ever (homerish I know), but give it time.

It's from that cherry picking thread on the main boards, i got curious and checked it out.

Reactions: Sam Spade

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
To be honest I still think he overpaid because I think his game is declining.
Since a lot of people here consider him a shutdown man, thats how I expect him to play. I'd like to see him play like a Marc Edward Vlasic or maybe a Mattias Ekholm. He isn't close to either of those guys.

Still haven't seen that. But in fact he is a top defensive pair on a very good defensive team. Maybe the Caps are good defensively despite him, not because of him, but I don't think so. He's part of this solid team.

Here's another set of stats, which are backed up by eyeballs having watched each of these games several times: Nisky in the playoffs had some ups and downs, like game 5 vs TB where he admitted he sucked and vowed to play better. But specifically, in the last two games of each series (5,6 vs CBus and Pitt, 6,7 vs TB, and 4,5 vs VGK), Nisky was combined Plus 7, vs three of the top 5 scoring teams in the NHL, in games that mattered the most. Specifically, he averaged 26:06 of ice time in those key games (2 OT games) while the opponents (again, 3 of the top 5 teams) averaged just 1.9 gpg vs us. My eyes confirm he played well in those key games, especially vs TB in games 6/7 when he vowed he would, and TB scored, ahem, NOTHING!

So while your opinion of his play is one thing, BT and TR trusted him a LOT in key situations of the playoffs and the team (and Nisky) delivered. They delivered a Cup riding Nisky's defensive minutes.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Even if Niskanen sucks this years he's still easily worth the contract. I'd say he's been underpaid ever year he's been here.

I think it should be called fair deal. Player gets the security, acts professionally and delivers the quality play year in year out. He's nothing like Norris candidate so he's paid accordingly (and was at the time knowing UFA market nature).

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is increasingly dumb. Niskanen is overpaid. He's not a shutdown defenseman. Since signing with the Capitals the team is the best team in the league. In that time Niskanen averages about 30 seconds a game less ice time than John Carlson. In that 4 years he has averaged almost a minute more even strength time on ice than Carlson.

A quick check shows that Niskanen leads the Caps in that 4 years combined with a +61. In that time Carlson is +34. I realize that plus minus is a flawed stat but lets be honest here. Niskanen plays against the opposing team's elite offensive players and is on the ice in critical even strength defensive situations against those players. The result is that the team is so advantaged by his play that he leads the team in scoring differential.

Lets recap. Niskanen plays nearly 25 minutes per game. He leads the team in even strength ice time. He plays against the opposing first line. He leads the team in plus minus while carrying that opposition. In that time the team has the best record in the league and the 4th best goals against. The team wins 2 presidents trophies and a Stanley cup AND this player is OVERPAID???

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Niskanen should have received serious Norris consideration in 2017. Not the ultimate winner, but he probably should have been in the 5-10 range.
Lmao. I hope that is a joke. Now you are an expert on who should win the Norris. If he was a real contender he would have gotten some votes but he didnt get a single vote for the Norris that season. Only in one season did Niskanen ever get any votes and that was when he was still a Pen. You highly overrate him. No different than a Leaf fan.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This is increasingly dumb. Niskanen is overpaid. He's not a shutdown defenseman. Since signing with the Capitals the team is the best team in the league. In that time Niskanen averages about 30 seconds a game less ice time than John Carlson. In that 4 years he has averaged almost a minute more even strength time on ice than Carlson.

A quick check shows that Niskanen leads the Caps in that 4 years combined with a +61. In that time Carlson is +34. I realize that plus minus is a flawed stat but lets be honest here. Niskanen plays against the opposing team's elite offensive players and is on the ice in critical even strength defensive situations against those players. The result is that the team is so advantaged by his play that he leads the team in scoring differential.

Lets recap. Niskanen plays nearly 25 minutes per game. He leads the team in even strength ice time. He plays against the opposing first line. He leads the team in plus minus while carrying that opposition. In that time the team has the best record in the league and the 4th best goals against. The team wins 2 presidents trophies and a Stanley cup AND this player is OVERPAID???
Niskanen is not leading the team in plus/ minus. Have you guys not been watching him play. It hasn't been pretty.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'd put Niskanen in the same conversation as those guys. You can nitpick and say they are slightly better than Niskanen but to say he isn't close to either of those guys is the definition of [Citation Needed].
They are more than slightly better. Only a homer fan would think he is at their level.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Shutdown is more an assignment than a style. Niskanen and Orlov are assigned to check the opposing first line in almost every game. Over the 4years of Trotz the Caps were #1 in standings points in the east by 31pts over Pittsburgh and 26pts in the league over the Ducks.

During that period the Caps goals against ranked 4th in the league.

This would suggest that using 2 and 9 together as matchup against Crosby, Seguin, Kucherov, Tavares and other top offensive lines has been consistently successful

Preach brother Tex. Preach!

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, with Shattenkirk and Alzner the writing was on the wall... every wall. Tip of the hat to the Eternal Brotherhood of Dumb GMs...

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
Their player threads on their respective boards are quite a good read

Especially the rangers fans laughing at the caps

Last edited:

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
When Shattenkirk walked.

Certain corsi fanatics in their fanbase were convinced Shattenkirk was the far superior defenseman (than 74) for years on this website.
There was a vocal movement around here to sign Shatty long term and trade JC. Wasn't buying it.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
There was a vocal movement around here to sign Shatty long term and trade JC. Wasn't buying it.

not trying to argue with you....but thats simply not accurate.

I was a part of that discussion, and there were a few of us that floated the suggestion (mind you, about a week or 2 after the deal in the regular season, and NOT during or after the playoffs) of paying Shattenkirk the 6.5m we felt he was worth, and then reaping a large return for Carlson.

It certainly wasnt "vocal", and it absolutely wasnt a "movement". It was a discussion around trying to maximize assets....and one that was talked about very early on. Goes to show that knee jerk thinking can backfire.

Obviously, it has proven to be a bad option (who knows what they would have received for Carlson....but the team won the Cup so any other option than the path chosen wouldnt have been good).

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
not trying to argue with you....but thats simply not accurate.

I was a part of that discussion, and there were a few of us that floated the suggestion (mind you, about a week or 2 after the deal in the regular season, and NOT during or after the playoffs) of paying Shattenkirk the 6.5m we felt he was worth, and then reaping a large return for Carlson.

It certainly wasnt "vocal", and it absolutely wasnt a "movement". It was a discussion around trying to maximize assets....and one that was talked about very early on. Goes to show that knee jerk thinking can backfire.

Obviously, it has proven to be a bad option (who knows what they would have received for Carlson....but the team won the Cup so any other option than the path chosen wouldnt have been good).
However you want to describe it is semantics. The point is people here were advocating for it.

Maybe I'm misremembering it some because I thought it was crazy. Just like I thought it would be crazy to let him walk as a UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad