Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The way I remember it Trotz was thought to be hired before Gmbm came on and there were questions about whether or not Gmbm hired BT or if Patrick/Leonsis were just putting together the team they wanted, since both were announced at about the same time (may 2014).

Reirden was hired in late June of the same year, but again could have been technically hired by Trotz while actually being hired by TL/DP/Gmbm who probably were looking at Orpik and Niskanen the whole time (each signed within about a week of Reirden being hired).

The notions was that Reirden was a package deal with Orpik and Niskanen, and BT may have been limited in his actual power over the roster early on. There would almost surely be overlapping negotiations between all 3 Pens guys and since Gmbm was already working inside the Caps org before any of the other guys came in it's likely he got his guys in Reirden/Orpik/Niskanen and Ted got his pick in Trotz.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
so basically summarize gmbm so far:
want mitch korn back, in negotations, but korn unsure what he wants
caps in discussions with orpik, he has other offers too
gmbm will meet with wilson agent today
gmbm says he is in talks with free agent defenders outside of orpik

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He will be 38 years old before the start of the season. I would be blown away if someone gives him a multi-year deal.
The New York Islanders come to mind. I wonder if Calvin de Haan needs to sign before this last group of veteran D find homes.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He will be 38 years old before the start of the season. I would be blown away if someone gives him a multi-year deal.

2 years after the postseason he just had....I can see it.

If I’m him unless someone is offering silly $ on a 2 year deal, I come back to DC for one more run then retire. Might as well soak in the adulation your last year.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
2 years after the postseason he just had....I can see it.

If I’m him unless someone is offering silly $ on a 2 year deal, I come back to DC for one more run then retire. Might as well soak in the adulation your last year.
I think that's a knee jerk reaction typical of fans, I'm not sure most GMs would follow that logic, I think NHL GMs will realize there is a significant drop off in ability at this age and to use one post season run to justify a deal with that term would be silly. Then again, crazier things have happened.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think that's a knee jerk reaction typical of fans, I'm not sure most GMs would follow that logic, I think NHL GMs will realize there is a significant drop off in ability at this age and to use one post season run to justify a deal with that term would be silly. Then again, crazier things have happened.

I think the sensibility of Pro GM’s is fairly clear to see in history....certainly not some fan driven malarkey.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Signing Voynov is one of the very few things that would turn this off-season into a terrible one for this team.

Hell no to adding him and i hope he gets targeted every single time he jumps onto the NHL ice.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I wish I cared enough to hate Voynov like some of you appear to.

Caps just don’t need to bring that nonsense into the room nor do they have room for the player.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ilya Kovalchuk just got a 3 year, 35+ contract despite not playing in North America for the past 5 seasons and having mixed opinions from scouts about whether he can still keep up with the pace of the NHL. The Maple Leafs lured Ron Hainsey away from the Penguins by offering him a 2nd year on a 35+ contract (at a higher cap hit than his previous one, too). The Flyers once bungled a deal for Chris Pronger, signing him to a 35+ contract until he was 42 years old because they didn't properly understand the CBA.

NHL GMs are generally a pretty smart bunch, but it just takes one of the whole bunch to commit a mistake. The nature of a bidding war tends to ensure whichever GM overvalues the player ends up making the dumbest offer. It's the winner's curse.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Never underestimate how stupid some franchises can be.

True. Just look at Jim "Paul Bearer" Benning as an example. This is what he gave Roussel a third/fourth liner the other day:

CLAUSE DETAILS: 2018-19: Player submits a 15 no team trade list. 2019-20 & 20-21: Player submits a 8 team no trade list. 2021-22: Player submits a 5 team no trade list.

Jun 15, 2007
Signing Voynov is one of the very few things that would turn this off-season into a terrible one for this team.

Hell no to adding him and i hope he gets targeted every single time he jumps onto the NHL ice.

I genuinely don't think most NHLers care that much. A lot of athletes are cavemen. Domestic assault isn't enough to make him a pariah. It's not like he diddled kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: rlkaejrl

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I genuinely don't think most NHLers care that much. A lot of athletes are cavemen. Domestic assault isn't enough him to make a pariah. It's not like he diddled kids.
Disagree completely. Look at the Ottawa situation. Hoffman was shipped out because his fiance was suspected of targeted harassment toward EK and his wife. Cleary teams don't want any type of locker room issues, even dysfunctional teams like Ottawa.

And a lot of athletes aren't cavemen anymore. Hell, here in Washington DSP has already used his platform to talk about racial issues after the Chicago game and about other political issues by saying he won't attend the White House celebration. That's just a small scale approach compared to guys in the NFL like Chris Long who uses his platform well to showcase his personal views

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Jun 15, 2007
Disagree completely. Look at the Ottawa situation. Hoffman was shipped out because his fiance was suspected of targeted harassment toward EK and his wife. Cleary teams don't want any type of locker room issues, even dysfunctional teams like Ottawa.

And a lot of athletes aren't cavemen anymore. Hell, here in Washington DSP has already used his platform to talk about racial issues after the Chicago game and about other political issues by saying he won't attend the White House celebration. That's just a small scale approach compared to guys in the NFL like Chris Long who uses his platform well to showcase his personal views
Right, I don't want Voynov because of the issues it would cause.

I was responding to trick9's hope that other NHLers would run Voynov. I don't think they care enough to target him.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Right, I don't want Voynov because of the issues it would cause.

I was responding to trick9's hope that other NHLers would run Voynov. I don't think they care enough to target him.
My bad, I took it as you had interest in Voynov. Yeah I doubt other NHLers would care enough to go out of their way to hit him

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
so basically summarize gmbm so far:
want mitch korn back, in negotations, but korn unsure what he wants
caps in discussions with orpik, he has other offers too
gmbm will meet with wilson agent today
gmbm says he is in talks with free agent defenders outside of orpik
I'm only asking out of curiosity but where did you see that they were negotiating with other d-men outside of Orpik?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad