Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I would be surprised if they signed any UFA to more than a one-year deal. There could be more openings next season up front with Connolly/DSP hitting UFA but I don't really expect them to hand out that level of security. It's going to be players that clearly want to play here IMO. The lack of a second year may turn off Orpik and if that's the case so be it. I'm sure Trotz is lobbying Lou to beat whatever market exists for him. But there should still exist a slice of players that have interest, esp. given Reirden's rep among defensemen with some of the younger options potentially, and are willing to sign for one year to gain a foothold/opportunity.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I was unaware that games played was the key decider. I don’t see an improvement that is worth trading something away and then paying an extra 350k a year. To me you we should either look for something that better or stay pat. And on top of that if you bring him in you have to get rid of Copley because you have nowhere to play him
Pickard is only $150k more. Research for a change so you can get your facts right and maybe put up a better argument.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Id sign Khudobin for 1y. Why would he sign for that though?
Seems like he's been talking two year deals according to some reports. Dallas was linked to him last night. I haven't read of a firm team yet linked to Lehtonen, Lehner, Mrazek, Hutchinson, Pavelec or Johnson. Then again, CAR/NYI will haven't been tied to bigger solutions yet and at least Lehner probably ought to land in one of those two spots. STL would also offer a larger opportunity. Pavelec or Johnson seem dicey but either of the rest could work. I'm not sure I'd trade for Pickard when he should hit waivers in the fall. If they find themselves without a match it's probably best just to wait until then unless the cost is entirely inconsequential.

With a high number of players already linked to teams, 4C may come down to Letestu, Grant, Shore or Richardson. Not sure Vermette, Fehr, Moore or Stajan offer enough all-around. Plekanec or Filppula could also perhaps fit but they've been linked to past teams MTL/DET. One younger guy that's interesting as a fringe bet is TBL's Matthew Peca. He had 5 points in 10 games with the big club last season and some good FO stats in that short sample. He's small but productive and shouldn't warrant too big of a ticket. Not sure there's really a fit with younger offensive-minded UFAs like Duclair or Yakupov, even if value could be there potentially. I do like Cassels, Poirier, DeMelo, Prince, Agostino, Carr and McKenzie as deeper organizational bets to throw into the mix.

Hamhuis may be an exception of a bigger name targeted on a one-year deal if Orpik is out of the mix. I do like Emelin, Folin or Claesson and there are sturdier RD throwbacks like Bieksa or Polak perhaps if they want to go in that direction on the cheap. While there's some sense in just letting the kids step up and solve some needs, who knows what sort of learning curve they may all be adapting to earlier on in the season. 2G likely should be at the top of the list since it shouldn't cost much, it's so essential to keep Holtby somewhat rested and none of the Hershey goalies are coming off strong seasons. That said, they can afford to wait potentially. The thin amount of depth available in UFA overall should pivot things to trades before too long.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Pickard is only $150k more. Research for a change so you can get your facts right and maybe put up a better argument.

I had read his salary was a million, maybe it was a two way and that was what he was getting when he was up with the club. Either way holy crap no need to get your panties twisted because you don’t agree on my assessment of a backup goalie. Relax it’s a forum for crying out loud.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Haven't been able to participate on the board, been on vacation, but I'm BACK! Few thoughts on everything that has transpired:

1)GMBM-- We all know that last summer was a clusterf***. Coming off maybe the most painful loss in the history of the franchise, we traded a top 6 F for two 2nd round picks, lose a top 4 PMD for free, lose a great leader and playoff performer in JW, and I guess Alzner, although I didn't care much for him at the end. Also, many thought we overpaid Kuzy and Orly, I thought they got fair deals, but it is what it is, also people upset at the term for Oshie. We may have the best GM in the league, if not, top 3 for sure. Looking at the FA signings and trades he has made outside of last season and he has been phenomenal. This off-season has been great with what we've been able to bring back, and I thought the trade with Colorado was good.

2)FA--I'm really happy for Beags, Vancouver is beautiful, he won his cup, he's getting 3m a year and it's well-deserved. Love the deals for DSP and Kempny, and for DSP I hope he has a great season and earns a bigger contract. I love this team/last year's team. They really are close, and it will help them for the remainder of the window. I'm also glad we've kept Burk, he's really young and could breakout and with Ovi/Backstrom era maybe having 2 or 3 years left you need him to get his chances so him and Vrana/Kuzy will be the next wave.

3)Coaching--The team seems to love Reirden, and I've never been more excited for a new head coach. When we hired Barry, I wanted Laviolette. I'm glad Barry played his part for this team, but as many of you pointed out 9 years of Trotz hockey is a bit much.

4)Meetup--Already making plans to be in DC for the meetup and possibly Pittsburgh for the following night. Any idea how much tickets will be that night?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I like where we are sitting. Get Wilson signed and we have room to see if some kids can impress (like last year) and even more cap flexibility to make a move if we need. The more I read on last years coaching the more I get the impression reirden had more influence than thought during the year

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I can’t be too pessimistic with a team that just won the cup and is bringing back most of the team... but other teams are getting better and will be coming after them. Are the caps going to be better? Looks they are content with going for organic growth. Likely banking on big years from vrana, bura and Wilson up front. They obviously expect some improvements from coaching/systems. Is that enough?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I can’t be too pessimistic with a team that just won the cup and is bringing back most of the team... but other teams are getting better and will be coming after them. Are the caps going to be better? Looks they are content with going for organic growth. Likely banking on big years from vrana, bura and Wilson up front. They obviously expect some improvements from coaching/systems. Is that enough?

We all thought they would be a lot worse in 2018 than they were the previous two years.

Being good on paper doesn't matter. It's all about just getting hot at the right time.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

just so you know, its july 1st. season starts in 3 months and caps currently have cap space

Reactions: Ridley Simon

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

This basic team was 2 minutes short of the ecf, then won 2 president's trophies and then a cup.

Holtby was terrible last season. If 70, 8, 92, 19 and 74 keep up their pace, they will be competitive.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't see Travis Boyd being our 4C. I always thought of him as more of a top 9 guy. Admittedly, maybe because we really had no scoring depth in Hershey and I always thought of him as the best of the bunch.

Too soon heh but I think we are set at forward.

OBW | Vrana Kuz Osh | Bura Eller Conno | Stephenson Dowd DSP

Extra will be Boyd/Walker.

Oopps forget Beagle Lite, Beagleson

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't see Travis Boyd being our 4C. I always thought of him as more of a top 9 guy. Admittedly, maybe because we really had no scoring depth in Hershey and I always thought of him as the best of the bunch.

Too soon heh but I think we are set at forward.

OBW | Vrana Kuz Osh | Bura Eller Conno | Gersich Dowd DSP

Extra will be Boyd/Walker.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Good question. As of right now, they removed their 2 oldest players (Hi, Ovechkin), and have at least 2.5 ish in extra cap space. I’d assume they will use it in a value add at D or G. 1yr only. (I’d do 2yrs at D if the numbers are below 1.5m annually).

So at least another kid to add to the current roster. Players that could easily improve due to career arc standpoints:

Kuznetsov
Orlov
Wilson
Vrana
Burakovsky
Stephenson
Djoos
Bowey
Boyd
Gersich
Walker

A few of those won’t play — or might not play much — based on replacement level veterans or other youngsters passing them.

But that’s a lot of potential growth for a Cup winning franchise.

So we will see.

What does the catbird seat look like? I think we are in it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My gut has been telling my $3.75-$4M on Tom Wilson, and out of curiosity I looked at the % increase given to DSP, who went from 650K to 1M. $3.75M would be very close to that kind of raise so I think that's what Wilson gets/takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad