Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Don't get your hopes up buddy.
LOL. I’m very ready for the team to probably “net add” over the course of the deadline.

Is your psyche ready for that? Or will we get an “I KNOW BETTER!!!!” meltdown, which leads to another round of “f***ing FIRE GMBM, Now!!!!” catcalls.

I’m assuming the latter.

Team is in to make it.

I am with them.

you can most assuredly be wherever the hell you want to be — and I will see you on the other side.

Just promise me you won’t care or comment on them when they make the playoffs? Since you obv have no interest in them being there.

Please oh please oh please at least be consistent.

PLEASE!!

Reactions: Cappy76

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
No one is taking kuemper. Avs got him because they knew they we’re great and needed an upgrade on their traffic cone
Uh Grubes was not a traffic cone! The issue was Grubes had injury issues and he put up some Vezina like numbers in a contract year. The Avs didn't want to pay what Grubes agent was asking for. Kuemper had the #1 goalie pedigree, but did have injury issues of his own, plus there was no guarantee he would be the right goalie for the Avs in the playoffs, despite showing signs at times he could put up really good numbers(Kings and Coyotes).

As it turned out, Kuemper was the right fit being their #1 in the regular season and was actually doing well to start the playoffs for them until he had the fluke eye injury. Backup Francouz went a crazy 6-0 while Kuemper finished up playing in the Cup Final. He was 10-4 total, but a low .902 SV%. Francouz SV% wasn't much better.

I still believe in Kuemper, but not with that @sshole Scott Murray screwing him up like he screwed up Holtby! If you ask me why Lindgren is doing better with Murray, Grubauer did the same exact thing with Murray as well. I think Lindgren/Grubauer are exceptions where they can adapt well to whomever the team/goalie coach they play for. Some goalies are very finicky with certain goalie coaches and others are very coachable. Kuemper is not connecting with Scott Murray, with his meh numbers proving that.

Fred22406Capsfan

Jan 19, 2020
And perhaps you grabbed yours!
LOL
1709352160208.png

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Ovie goal is good. Outside of that, I’m glad some of the young guys seem to be finding their strides. Still not a good team, so I don’t want to be buying anything. Infact I would still sell Mantha/Patches if I could. If they make it, fine go ruin Carolinas year. But I have a feeling they are staring at the last team out. Not where I want to be.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Nice win. Boy was I down on them after how they started. As much as I hate the start, it was an impressive turnaround. Good on HCSC
I too have been down on Carbs, but how they bounced back tonight after being destroyed by the Wings, Carbs gets a lot of credit for coaching the team up to not give up.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Ovie goal is good. Outside of that, I’m glad some of the young guys seem to be finding their strides. Still not a good team, so I don’t want to be buying anything. Infact I would still sell Mantha/Patches if I could. If they make it, fine go ruin Carolinas year. But I have a feeling they are staring at the last team out. Not where I want to be.
Not last team out!

Last team in! And then anything can happen. I fully do NOT think a Cup is possible. I mean, come on!

But getting in and winning a few games? Sure! And that “a few games” could morph into something more.

But gotta truly be a part of it, to really see it!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Important win.

The good:
- Regulation win.
- Ovi goal... turned the game completely around.
- Lapierre looks... really good.
- Strome 3 points.
- Wilson multi-point game. He needed it.
- Carlson huge goal.
- Mantha and Pacioretty have been really good amidst trade rumours. MaxPac 2 assists and Mantha goal. We've come long way from our most important game year ago where Mantha was an absolute dud and gave away that crucial goal to Malkin.
- Lindgren bounced back well.
- 5-on-5 they outscored Flyers 4-1.

The bad:
- General effort early. Looking at the score you'd propably didn't expect this but this was their biggest game of the season and they laid an egg for over a period before the Ovechkin goal. They were lucky to only be facing the Flyers.
- Facing a cohesive defensive unit this team is still way too easy to defend. Good thing Flyers fell apart after the Ovi goal.

Where do we go from here... this gives GMBM some options. Still need to beat Arizona, but they have some options here. I'd guess the market decides what they do. Smart thing would be to stay on course. Sell guys who aren't going to be here next season. Try to flip those assets further to get younger piece that can help them now.

Pacioretty should decide himself does he want to stay? If he doesn't, what would the return be? 3rd rounder seems likely but given it'd likely be a late one so i'd propably would just keep him in that case, unless he's forcing a trade.

Mantha? He propably returns a 2nd rounder. I'd pull the trigger on that. If he wants back in the summer then short-term contract could be an option. But i think he wants term and MacLellan is not going to give him that.

Edmundson? I'd move him. For either to re-coup what we paid but i'd first explore if Kings would have interest in deal around him and Kaliyev. Frost from Flyers is another option but i don't see that. I'd like to see extended look for Alexeyev and HHA down the stretch.

Dowd and Lindgren are simple. 1st round pick. Otherwise no need to do it now. I'd rather shop Kuemper and see if that salary could be moved.

They should also keep tabs on Mittelstadt and Novak. Both are pretty good offensive players that could be worth a shot if the price is right.

Also... whatever you decide, it's time to start using that cap space as an asset. Take short-term dumps, broker deals and do something to use that to your advantage. All hands on deck.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They're on track to either stand pat or be selective soft buyers if they take care of business the next two games. If Fehervary is good to go soon I could maybe see them selling Edmundson or even Bear if they're unconvinced he'll improve with more time. I might take a flier on Provorov if CBJ wants to retain a bit to move on for minimal return.

Up front I'd think about putting Protas at center over Sgarbossa and adding a different element to the McMichael line. Protas has been a good fit but strength down the middle is so key. Sgarbossa hasn't been bad at all but he's not the biggest. Then, assuming Oshie is likely done for the year, adding a productive wing on the cheap for the McMichael line that's at least as good as Milano.

I wonder about Vatrano. He's having a big year with 29 goals now and also has a year left on his contract. He could be a fit, although Anaheim shouldn't be in a hurry to move him. Does it take more than their extra couple '25 seconds? Probably not. Him or Buchnevich stand out most as non-rentals that would immediately be an upgrade.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
LOL. I’m very ready for the team to probably “net add” over the course of the deadline.

Is your psyche ready for that? Or will we get an “I KNOW BETTER!!!!” meltdown, which leads to another round of “f***ing FIRE GMBM, Now!!!!” catcalls.

I’m assuming the latter.

Team is in to make it.

I am with them.

you can most assuredly be wherever the hell you want to be — and I will see you on the other side.

Just promise me you won’t care or comment wh on them when they make the playoffs? Since you obv have no interest in them being there.

Please oh please oh please at least be consistent.

PLEASE!!
Easy on the white claws. I'll always root for them when they've got a chance but the right thing to do is to sell at this point. I don't care if it's GMBM or someone else rebuilding the team and I have been pretty consistent on that. I'd imagine Ross is next man up in the GM lineage so they're won't be a ton of changes on that front if it were to happen. He's likely doing most of the drafting already anyways.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Easy on the white claws. I'll always root for them when they've got a chance but the right thing to do is to sell at this point. I don't care if it's GMBM or someone else rebuilding the team and I have been pretty consistent on that. I'd imagine Ross is next man up in the GM lineage so they're won't be a ton of changes on that front if it were to happen. He's likely doing most of the drafting already anyways.

Easy on the liquor….the right thing to do right now is to make the best deals, not just sell.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Champions want to win. Winners aren’t quitters. If you have a chance you don’t give up. Now that doesn’t mean you spend recklessly, but you don’t quit either. I think we can be both sellers and buyers to get some assets.

1. Sell a couple of pending UFA (i would do Patches and Edmundson (or TVR if right price)
2. Buy a couple of pending UFA’s for assets so others can clear space - they replace guys leaving
3. Keep Mantha because he is important. Resign if possible. If he doesn’t the risk is still worth the shot at playoff run this year
4. Trade Dowd if you can get a first or can naivage a trade for a nearer term prospect

If I’m GMBM I’m now saying, I am happy to stand pat. Open to trades but you gonna have to come correct. Maximize the returns.

Reactions: tycoonheart

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
White claws? Who is the name of @RandyHolt spends a lot of time with those? I didn’t think one could get drunk off of those — perhaps you’ve proven me wrong.

It would be defeatist to simply “sell”. It’s not going to happen, IMO. Will there be trades? Absolutely. But the goal isn’t going to be “just sell”, as it wasn’t last season either.

So when GMBM somehow adds, just be ready and don’t freak out.

And like I said, I know you don’t want them to keep winning. It’s not part of “the Red Tank”, and that’s cool. I respect that anyone can be a fan of the team in any manner they want. I was JUST rooting for Skins losses, a scant few months ago. I didn’t want them winning then, either.

I honestly think the Caps will catch the Flyers. Whether that’s good enough to make it, remains to be seen.

• Haha
Reactions: RandyHolt

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Nice win. HOWEVER, it does not alter their upcoming schedule.

Since many of the so called experts in the business are suggesting that there's a noticeable drop off in the '24 draft talent pool after the top 20 ranked players, if the Capitals are to move some players I would opt for picks in either the '25 or '26 draft as opposed to this year. Unless of course by some miracle they can get another pick in the the top 20 of the '24 draft.

Otherwise, worse case scenario would be to just stand pat and roll with what you got till the end of the season.

By no means should they buy, unless it's a cap relief move for another team that they can get some assets with.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
That's a nice comeback win after going down by 2.

I like Lapierre on that line with Ovie. He was hounding the center of the ice and backchecking better than Strome and Kuzy and it seemed to make a big difference.

Reactions: tycoonheart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad