Post-Game Talk: Caps Flyers 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Trying to think of anyone with a real knickname. Only thing that comes to mind is the Orioles call Jim Palmer "cakes".

Edit: Oh wait. Tiger
Bonzai was legit.
Kolzig as Godzilla sure fit. They probably shortened that to Godz
Do we know the genesis of Tiger as Eller's nickname? I've often wondered...

EYEuhFRAYtee

Smile
Apr 28, 2004

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Another great 1st 40 > take the pedal off the metal > tread water and survive
Thankfully it's just a few minor details that they need to button up and work on VS. giant glaring holes that need personnel changes
Take the 2 and move on (esp. with BOS/PIT/NYI all getting W's)

PHI's got some serious issues currently with a D that's very average looking and underperforming, and a starting goalie that's struggling hard; most ppl had them Top-3 in the division and they're still not behind by much but they looked like paper tigers for this one

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
EwPs4n-XMAk3heA

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Moving forward it will be important to win in regulation against BOS, PIT, NYI and PHI. Those teams are the treat for the Caps.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Every game I wonder what Boston was thinking?
Over 14 years they lost perspective
Prime Chara = Top-5 dominating D-man, completely unique size/strength/stamina giant beast
Old-man Chara = from the B's perspective, a not-as-dominating D-man who's lost a step and can't do 25+min.s anymore, but apparently ignoring his still unique size/strength and 20+ years of experience that he brings; seeing him as a 6/7 replacement for the 'yutes'
Mistake for sure.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Chara has been legit good even if you discount the intangibles (which I don’t fwiw). I was skeptical he could play a compressed schedule but I don’t see any reason he should sit a game right now. Maybe if/when the seeding is locked up but that’s still a ways away.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Orlov and particularly Carlson are terribad at defending this year. Any reason for that? Orlov-Carlson pair was a disaster when tested togather at the start of the season.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Two factors. Maybe it will be hard for him to maintain his level into playoffs. That could have been a concern for Boston.

Another one is easier. For them Chara would be top-4 expensive guy, for us he's ready to play 3rd pair for league minimum. Big difference.

Obviously, its win-win now because he isn't playing 3rd pair minutes but is trusted to be there at key moments and overall at any moment.

PS: Offensively and overall with his hands he's miles better than Orpik ever was I guess.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Orlov and particularly Carlson are terribad at defending this year. Any reason for that? Orlov-Carlson pair was a disaster when tested togather at the start of the season.

Carlson has been terrible defensively for several years now. It’s really no surprise the trend has continued this year. Of course his offensive impact usually more than makes up for it but sometimes it looks pretty dire in the defensive zone.

Orlov’s defensive numbers pretty much instantly returned to their normal solid levels once he was separated from Carlson. I think he’ll be fine going forward.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Chara has been legit good even if you discount the intangibles (which I don’t fwiw). I was skeptical he could play a compressed schedule but I don’t see any reason he should sit a game right now. Maybe if/when the seeding is locked up but that’s still a ways away.

He is legit good. Constantly makes good decisions. He's also slicker with the puck than I thought he'd be.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Carlson has been terrible defensively for several years now. It’s really no surprise the trend has continued this year. Of course his offensive impact usually more than makes up for it but sometimes it looks pretty dire in the defensive zone.

Orlov’s defensive numbers pretty much instantly returned to their normal solid levels once he was separated from Carlson. I think he’ll be fine going forward.
I know what the fancies say but I can’t go with terrible. Carlson has bad stretches even for games at a time for sure and looks drunk at times in his own zone but he also has stretches where he can shut down anyone. You don’t win four (five?) division titles in a row and a Cup with a 1RD who is terrible defensively.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I know what the fancies say but I can’t go with terrible. Carlson has bad stretches even for games at a time for sure and looks drunk at times in his own zone but he also has stretches where he can shut down anyone. You don’t win four (five?) division titles in a row and a Cup with a 1RD who is terrible defensively.

It’s not (just) the fancies. the goals against numbers compared to his teammates since like 2015-16 are brutal.

As I said he usually does make up for his huge defensive deficiencies with a top-tier offensive game. The team has had decent defensive depth over the past few years so it’s no surprise a high-scoring team can overcome their #1D being really bad defensively.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I have confidence that the coaching staff knows something about hockey. When there is a 3 on 5 pk, Carlson is out there. In the last minute protecting a win, he's out there. Nobody on this defense crew plays sheltered minutes. I dont buy that he bad on defense. I dont buy that he is less than at the top of the trusted list for critical defensive situations because otherwise the coaching staff wouldnt use him.

Meanwhile, and we've talked about this in the past, Orlov is never used in primary defensive situations. If he were the best defensively, he would see some defensive zone starts and would be used in critical defensive situations. Personally, it looks to me Orlov has throttled up his game. Maybe not having his family with him effected him severely and that is an understandable situation. To me he looks like the Orlov I was hoping for the last 4 or 5 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad