GDT: Caps @ Ducks, 10 pm

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think if holtby were on his way out, it would have happened already. the thing, BR, that you missed in your list of actions and reactions was that neuvirth was moved. if holtby were going, he would have been the one to go and neuvirth would have remained.

I would be surprised to find that the caps move both neuvirth and holtby and effectively change their goaltending structure entirely.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I don't disagree with you except for one thing...the losses. GMGM is going to be back regardless for the previous reasons I have given.

I can frustrate you to no end but the fact is that owners and management don't always do what the fans want them to.

He should have been gone over a decade ago but it didn't happen then and I strongly sense it won't now. He will be given another offseason to make a final push while the window with Ovechkin is still open. For better or worse Ted is a loyal guy. On some level I admire him for that deep down inside.

And that's my fear. The ownership team is so loyal that they'll waste a generational talent on a GM that has had more than sufficient time to build a team around him and failed.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
And that's my fear. The ownership team is so loyal that they'll waste a generational talent on a GM that has had more than sufficient time to build a team around him and failed.

Falls,

Btw I feel real bad for disrespecting you that one time we chilled. Now I agree with your fear and I think we both think that is the case as to what is really true.

I think if holtby were on his way out, it would have happened already. the thing, BR, that you missed in your list of actions and reactions was that neuvirth was moved. if holtby were going, he would have been the one to go and neuvirth would have remained.

I would be surprised to find that the caps move both neuvirth and holtby and effectively change their goaltending structure entirely.

Neuvirth already wanted out. Leaks will come out that Holtby wanted out too. If Halak plays well and is resigned then Caps fans will forget all about it. Most wanted Varlamov gone. Most wanted Neuvirth gone. Its all about the next great thing. As long as the hype exists for the next "great next thing" then letting the current one go is no big deal.

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
My two cents.

Holtby is an average NHL goaltender.

He is young and he could turn the corner, but he is a mental case so I say no freakin way.

The way Halak played at Anaheim was probably a better performance than I might have ever seen from Holtby.

Series against Boston excluded, but honestly it looks like that was not a case of a goalie playing out of his mind. That was a case of a wily coach evening up the odds.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Starting with Holtby, Varlamov and Neuvirth in the stables and then ending with none of them would end up looking only marginally less stupid than what Gillis has managed to screw up in Vancouver. I still think Holtby is our guy. They'll set him up as the number 1 all offseason and hope he has a better year next year.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
My two cents.

Holtby is an average NHL goaltender.

He is young and he could turn the corner, but he is a mental case so I say no freakin way.

The way Halak played at Anaheim was probably a better performance than I might have ever seen from Holtby.

Series against Boston excluded, but honestly it looks like that was not a case of a goalie playing out of his mind. That was a case of a wily coach evening up the odds.

I pretty much agree with everything.

Holtby has some things you can't teach, like freakish athleticism, but overall just isn't good. He has to be among the worst when it comes to slight screens, and he's almost always out of position, especially in tight. Sometimes he's entirely out of the net.

Sure, it's all coachable, but I'm not optimistic we have anybody that can coach.

Resign Halak and roll with Halak & Holtby.

ryan519*

or resign halak and roll with halak and grubauer. grub was solid as hell in the games hes played for us, and im sure he'd have no problem being a backup when right now hes in the AHL. try to get some deal out of holtby in a package for a decent defenseman, theres no point in keeping him if hes just going to turn into another neuvirth and want out because hes not a starter

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
or resign halak and roll with halak and grubauer. grub was solid as hell in the games hes played for us, and im sure he'd have no problem being a backup when right now hes in the AHL. try to get some deal out of holtby in a package for a decent defenseman, theres no point in keeping him if hes just going to turn into another neuvirth and want out because hes not a starter

Grubauer is awesome, but I'd rather he continue to develop in the minors than play a couple games a month as a backup in the NHL.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Grubauer is awesome, but I'd rather he continue to develop in the minors than play a couple games a month as a backup in the NHL.

Agree, his first few weeks when he started were fierce but then maybe he got hit with fatigue? I'm not sure what happened, but I was very bummed to see him sent back down.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It's going to be endless circle with the goalies if they keep doing that same thing. Every goalie in the world is going to have a bad stretch of games in their career and if you just bench them indefinitely after that it's pretty obvious that they are going to request a trade. Grubauer is in very similar situation as Holtby was few years back.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Holtby is a goalie whose relative standing among goalies in the NHL would improve if they made the nets bigger, because he already plays as though the net is bigger than it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad