GDT: Caps- Devils 7:30 GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
One of few games this season they can say their goaltending was the reason they lost. Shep was awful not only in the goals he let in but also the timing and situation of those goals.

I actually thought they played pretty decent. I know New Jersey were missing a few guys but the Devils looked pretty underwhelming. Last night was a Caps win if they get decent goaltending.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Yeah, and they hit 2 posts and missed 2 breakaways. Team generated a decent amount of offense on a back to back. Conversely, you could tell from the start that Shep was off, and would not be controlling any rebounds.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Not a former player at any level, but wondering how much the overall lack of team speed is a factor? Feels like it's going to get worse as the season goes on and the grind starts wearing on the older guys. Factor, non-factor?
There are ways to counter against fast skating teams. It's always harder to play against those teams on a 2nd game of back2back nights, while the other team is younger and rested. Generally, playing smart, keep your feet moving, reading plays correctly and quick touch passes are some ways to play against faster teams.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
One of few games this season they can say their goaltending was the reason they lost. Shep was awful not only in the goals he let in but also the timing and situation of those goals.

I actually thought they played pretty decent. I know New Jersey were missing a few guys but the Devils looked pretty underwhelming. Last night was a Caps win if they get decent goaltending.
To some extent had a fresh Kuemper played, the outcome could have been different. At the same time, the team itself played too loosey goosey and made too many mistakes. The turning point of the game might have been when Fever terribly tried to pinch along the boards in the O zone with 20 secs left in the 2nd and the Devils rushed the other way to score with 16 secs left. 3-3 at the time. Just play smart and conservative with only secs left in the period.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I turned the game off w about 4 mins left

Seems Brendan Smith boarded Beck w 8 seconds left .. devils fans cheer it

I hate how all hockey fans clutch pearls if their guy gets hit .. then with a straight face cheer when its their guy doing the dirty

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
To some extent had a fresh Kuemper played, the outcome could have been different. At the same time, the team itself played too loosey goosey and made too many mistakes. The turning point of the game might have been when Fever terribly tried to pinch along the boards in the O zone with 20 secs left in the 2nd and the Devils rushed the other way to score with 16 secs left. 3-3 at the time. Just play smart and conservative with only secs left in the period.
It was a mistake by Fever but he got back and made a pretty good play, not great not terrible.

Than Shepard let in very weak shot attempt along the ice. That goal is all on him.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
BS

Strome, Protas and McMichael are significantly better than Dowd, Malenstyn and Aube-Kubel.

It’s bad coaching.
But dowd, beck, NAK line was flying around last night.

It was a mistake by Fever but he got back and made a pretty good play, not great not terrible.

Than Shepard let in very weak shot attempt along the ice. That goal is all on him.
I think fever got himself in an odd spot tangled up with the guy and didnt want to do more to draw a penalty ..

Shep let a couple goals go sliding on the ice 5 hole ..

is what it is

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I love the line, but it is the 4th line, and the offence is limited.

Protas has been on fire for a couple of months and Strome and McMichael have way way more offensive capability than those guys.

We're one of the worst offensive teams in the league, and it's not gonna solved by riding our 4th liners... Or Kuznetsov.

I think fever got himself in an odd spot tangled up with the guy and didnt want to do more to draw a penalty ..

Shep let a couple goals go sliding on the ice 5 hole ..

is what it is
What it is is Shep isn't a very good NHL goalie.

This was a close game that was given away by a bad goaltending performance. I'm not tripping, it happens. But I do hope Lindgren is back soon.

Reactions: Neil Racki

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Even Carbs in his post game presser mentioned that Fever was too aggressive pinching with the 2nd period almost over. Absolutely yes that Shep should have stopped that, but as a team you have to play smart with the period just about to end. The bottom line, the team in different areas of the game didn't play well enough to beat the Devils. Just egging on the 3rd string rookie goalie who is only playing his 5th NHL game is kind of unfair to Shep. He knows he didn't play his best, but the same could be said for a lot of other players on the team.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I hate how all hockey fans clutch pearls if their guy gets hit .. then with a straight face cheer when its their guy doing the dirty
Brendan Smith sucks and had his lunch fed to him by Tom Wilson when Smith was with the Rangers. This face pounding was fed to Smith even after trying to jump Wilson and punch him before Wilson could get the gloves off. Of course he’d go after Beck when there wouldn’t be enough time left to answer the bell.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Fever play should have been a nothing burger. It was an atrocious goal from Shepard.

The big mistake was Carlson making a terrible, unnecessary pass on the PP which led to Ovi taking a penalty and then the Devils scored shortly thereafter.

Regardless, your goalie needs to make stops when the team needs him to and Shep didn’t answer the bell last night.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Even Carbs in his post game presser mentioned that Fever was too aggressive pinching with the 2nd period almost over. Absolutely yes that Shep should have stopped that, but as a team you have to play smart with the period just about to end. The bottom line, the team in different areas of the game didn't play well enough to beat the Devils. Just egging on the 3rd string rookie goalie who is only playing his 5th NHL game is kind of unfair to Shep. He knows he didn't play his best, but the same could be said for a lot of other players on the team.
I agree Fever made a bad pinch, but he got back and gave his goalie a much better chance.

I think it was a close game but bad goaltending sealed our teams fate. I'm not mad at Shep, I feel bad for him, his NHL window took a big hit that game.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I agree Fever made a bad pinch, but he got back and gave his goalie a much better chance.

I think it was a close game but bad goaltending sealed our teams fate. I'm not mad at Shep, I feel bad for him, his NHL window took a big hit that game.
His recent NHL numbers until then were good. It’s one game but he is 28.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

It's the Devils...one of the softest teams around the league who get consistently tossed around. Their fans are propably tired of their soft stars like Hughes Hamilton and Meier targeted in the Playoffs so they root for whanever one of their players push back. Hell even their tough guy is noted punching bag around the league in Brendan Smith.

Fred22406Capsfan

Jan 19, 2020
There are ways to counter against fast skating teams. It's always harder to play against those teams on a 2nd game of back2back nights, while the other team is younger and rested. Generally, playing smart, keep your feet moving, reading plays correctly and quick touch passes are some ways to play against faster teams.
Thank you! Very appreciated. That's why I asked it as a question rather than shooting off at the mouth! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad