Not open for further replies.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Make it stop.
IMG_6245.gif

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Overall game of Shep tonight was not good enough and he knows it. He will learn and get better. I looked at all 6 goals on him, and the 4th(16 secs from the 2nd to end was a big back breaker, not sure why the Caps were playing so aggressive at that point with the score tied 3-3?) and 6th one were bad ones that he normally stops.
I think Carbery gives a bit too much ice time to the bottom 6. Why does Malenstyn have more ice time than Strome, Protas or CMM?
Because they were playing better to what he's looking for from this roster. Strome is in a bit of a slump, while Protas/CMM are still very young and will grow stronger with some mistakes along the way to learn from.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
They have one regulation win in their last eleven. Regression is already here.
You can throw that a bit out the door because Caps won that damn game against the Preds 3-2 and most reasonable people know that(despite the meddling of The Situation Room)! Let us puts things in perspective as they have to this dumb scheduling of 3 in 4 nights, then some days off and then the same thing again. That is just brutal for any team to go through and I know the Caps aren't the only team to have to deal with schedule adversity like that, except the fact they are a top 5 team in terms of older age.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Because they were playing better to what he's looking for from this roster. Strome is in a bit of a slump, while Protas/CMM are still very young and will grow stronger with some mistakes along the way to learn from.
BS

Strome, Protas and McMichael are significantly better than Dowd, Malenstyn and Aube-Kubel.

It’s bad coaching.

Reactions: Block

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Some positives and other notes.

PP has 3 goals in the last 2 games. Maybe, just maybe it's coming around a bit. We'll see in the next couple games if it goes 0 for again or this was a building block.

Carlson scored a blast from the point, as we haven't seen that in ages. Kuzy put up some points and had some effectiveness on offense, but will he start being consistent or was this just a rarity.

CMM with a PPG from a shot on the right side where Backy/Kuzy would not shoot from. That is now 2 PPG in 2 games with shots from the right side. Maybe they should shoot from that right side a lot more?!

Shep's 2nd stinker kind of game against the Devs(6-4 win and a 6-3 loss). Maybe for a new NHL'er goalie he should be playing a bit weaker teams than the super fast Devils? As I said before he will learn with more practice time with the big club.

From my vantage point(watching the game and having played d-man as well as mostly goalie), not having Edmundson big size and physical aspect in the game tonight had a negative effect. While TVR has the better foot speed, he lacks any physical presence in front of the net to help the goalies.

Despite what happened in this game, down the road both Patches and Bear will pay off but some of you ppl have to be a bit more patient with those 2.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Smell the weed outside capital one!
I was there. Smelled it.

You can throw that a bit out the door because Caps won that damn game against the Preds 3-2 and most reasonable people know that(despite the meddling of The Situation Room)! Let us puts things in perspective as they have to this dumb scheduling of 3 in 4 nights, then some days off and then the same thing again. That is just brutal for any team to go through and I know the Caps aren't the only team to have to deal with schedule adversity like that, except the fact they are a top 5 team in terms of older age.
To add to conspiracy theory, I was talking to some people close to caps and it seems as though that goal was scored at just over a minute, but the clocked ticked down under 1 minute. So it went to Toronto. If over 1 minute, and left in building Nashville probably would not have challenged. So hmmm

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I was there. Smelled it.

To add to conspiracy theory, I was talking to some people close to caps and it seems as though that goal was scored at just over a minute, but the clocked ticked down under 1 minute. So it went to Toronto. If over 1 minute, and left in building Nashville probably would not have challenged. So hmmm
You sir are correct! So had they simply done things correctly, there would be 2 numbers that stood out that night, 3-2 W and 830! It aint conspiracy if it actually happened and that is a fact!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I was there. Smelled it.

Well they might have challenged for something else, which I wasn't aware of at the time. Questionably, on the delayed penalty a Pred touched the puck which might have constituted a whistle stoppage from the refs. Counter argument, it was a judgement call that the refs felt the Preds didn't have possession of the puck and only touched the puck, therefor the 6 on 5 delayed penalty continued and OV scored.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
He looked like an AHL goalie.
He was somewhat off for whatever reason(I fault him for 2 of the 6). Caps played a bit too much like scrambled eggs at times tonight! Patches/TVR were in the lineup, so it might have monkey wrenched the teams rhythm a bit. Devils also fresh since Saturday and we played a tough Division opponent last night.

A lot of Goalies coming from the AHL to NHL and only playing their 5th NHL game ever would probably be no different. Give credit to the Hershey Bears being by far the best team in the AHL(27-6 record!) and being a better defensive team than the Caps currently are. Shep is adjusting his game to the Caps style and the Caps have to adjust to Shep's unorthodox goaltending style.

Last edited:

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
He was somewhat off for whatever reason(I fault him for 2 of the 6). Caps played a bit too much like scrambled eggs at times tonight! Patches/TVR were in the lineup, so it might have monkey wrenched the teams rhythm a bit. Devils also fresh since Saturday and we played a tough Division opponent last night.

A lot of Goalies coming from the AHL to NHL and only playing their 5th NHL game ever would probably be no different. Give credit to the Hershey Bears being by far the best team in the AHL(27-6 record!) and being a better defensive team than the Caps currently are. Shep is adjusting his game to the Caps style and the Caps have to adjust to Shep's unorthodox goaltending style.

I had him down for 3 softies. The first goal with the bad rebound and the two 5-hole goals. He has made some mistakes in his other starts and battled back. He just didn't look like he had it from the start tonight. The battle he showed in the other games where he struggled early never materialized.

Reactions: Block

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I had him down for 3 softies. The first goal with the bad rebound and the two 5-hole goals. He has made some mistakes in his other starts and battled back. He just didn't look like he had it from the start tonight. The battle he showed in the other games where he struggled early never materialized.
1st goal went off his goalie mask(might have been his chin area) and right out front again( I had that happen a multitude of times. Hard shot of the chin of the mask is more impact then off the forehead due to more thickness in the forehead than the chin, and even sometimes the puck bounces funny off the goalie mask). Could Shep have maybe reacted with his glove in front of his mask, possibly but he did look a bit stunned for a sec, sprung back up and Hischier shot the rebound over Shep's left shoulder blade. Bear got caught looking at Hischier and not watching the puck to help Shep. Hischier was eyeing the puck the whole time and took a straight line to the puck and beat Shep. I know Shep can play better like he did against the Preds and Isles, so I think he will bounce back. The 2 games against Devils, he hasn't looked his best...

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I put this one solely on Shepard. He was beyond terrible.

Strome needs better wingers. He had Phillips and a guy who hasn't played hockey in over a year. That line wasn't very good last night.

I think the CMM line and the Dowd lines are fine, keep those intact. They need to figure what the other lines need to look like. I'm glad Kuzy scored but the guy does not look like he wants to play. I just don't think his head is in it anymore.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I put this one solely on Shepard. He was beyond terrible.

Strome needs better wingers. He had Phillips and a guy who hasn't played hockey in over a year. That line wasn't very good last night.

I think the CMM line and the Dowd lines are fine, keep those intact. They need to figure what the other lines need to look like. I'm glad Kuzy scored but the guy does not look like he wants to play. I just don't think his head is in it anymore.
Patches needs to find a spot, and have the puck sent to him. Lapierre is a much better distributor of the puck than Phillips.

Phillips can’t contribute, period.

Fred22406Capsfan

Jan 19, 2020
Not a former player at any level, but wondering how much the overall lack of team speed is a factor? Feels like it's going to get worse as the season goes on and the grind starts wearing on the older guys. Factor, non-factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad