GDT: CAPS @ CANES

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don't think the preseason is really any time to make sweeping declarations about the ability of players to play a position.

If you're going to question Aho and his capabilities at Center, be prepared to defend the starting caliber of Mrazek and Darling at goalie. Just saying...

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Not reading too much into 3 preseason games, but the Center situation is hurting Aho. He and TT work well together in that capacity. He has center-esque qualities to his game, but I'm not convinced (and never have been) that position is in his wheel house. RB doesn't seem like the type of coach to stubbornly force a situation even if it isn't prudent, so we'll see how the rest of the preseason plays out. I wouldn't be surprised if Aho is moved back to wing.

I will counter this and state that the past 2 games he has centered hardly any goals have been scored on us.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I will counter this and state that the past 2 games he has centered hardly any goals have been scored on us.

I think that has more to do with A) It's the preseason and teams aren't pouring it on yet. B) Our D group is one of the best in the NHL, and C) This team, so far, is out working their opponents.

We'll see what holds up in the regular season.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I don't think the preseason is really any time to make sweeping declarations about the ability of players to play a position.

If you're going to question Aho and his capabilities at Center, be prepared to defend the starting caliber of Mrazek and Darling at goalie. Just saying...

Nothing about what I said was sweeping, but nice try.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

What? Nobody is making "sweeping declarations". Stating that Aho hasn't looked good at C these two games is just stating a fact. Brind'Amour even said he hasn't liked what he's seen from Aho at C so far and they'll let it play out through preseason.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Aho - Necas - TT
Zykov - Staal - Svechnikov
Foegele - Martinook - Williams
McGinn - Wallmark - PDG

Or:

McGinn - Wallmark - Williams
Foegele - Martinook - PDG

That might work.

Really Duchene trade makes a lot of sense here.

Aho - Duchene - Svechnikov
Zykov - Necas - TT
Foegele - Staal - Williams
McGinn - Wallmark - PDG
Martinook

Slavin - Hamilton
de Haan - Pesce
Fluery - TVR

Mzarek
Darling

Did Ferland retire? #wehavetoomanygoodwingers

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't think we have the luxury to to move Aho to the wing. We need centers and have too many wingers. Until Rask comes back, Aho is a center unless there is a trade for one. Given that, what I think is the best course of action is to move TT back to his left in the preseason in the hopes that gets both going again on offense.

Here's what I would try for the next game:

Ferland - Aho - TT
Zykov - Necas - Svechnikov
McGinn - Staal - Williams
Foegele - Wallmark - Martinook
PDG

I know the brain trust has said they don't want Necas and Svech together due to their potential growing pains, but both have looked good in their rolls independently. I'd put Zykov on their line as well (I know...rookies) due to the growing chemistry he has with Svechnikov. Reunite Aho and TT on the other offensively heavy line and give them a big bodied shooter in Ferland. For Staals line, I'd put JWilly and McGinn on his wings to provide a confidence line with some scoring. The fourth line I'd put Foegele and Martinook with one other. I really like Foegele and Martinook's PK abilities and if we put Wallmark there, we can use this as a real line, I think, not so much an energy or mop-up line. I could see PDG taking Foegele's place if we feel he has too much potential to be on a fourth line and should spend time in Charlotte, but I think he has looked too good to be sent down. I could also see him taking McGinn's spot as well, but I think we want a bit more experience on Staal's line given the likelihood that that line will be given tough matchups.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Aho hasn't looked good at C yet, but I'm not nearly as down on him as most of this board. It's been 2 games with new linemates and he's traditionally been a slow starter anyways. He played C the end of last year and at Worlds and did well in a larger than 2 game sample. I'm fine keeping him there and think he will adjust just fine in time. Although I am missing Lindholm most from the trade like I thought I would. I'd have loved to see

Aho-Lindholm-Svech

Under this coaching staff.

Duchene would also be a great target. It's too bad Rask is out months, I would have tried to build a package around him and futures. Ottawa has seemed like they've wanted warm capable bodies in their other trades, but they've also not dealt in the East.

I don't want to give up Faulk. It was posted on here last year how little offense the Canes get from their D compared to other "top" defenses they are compared to. It wasn't pretty, and even worse for a team that struggles to score anyways. With Faulk and Hamilton we have 2 legitimate goal threats from the back end. Don't give that up for anything less than a game changer at forward, which I'm pretty sure Faulk won't fetch anyways.

I don't like the balance argument to make a D for F trade. Pittsburgh isn't balanced at all, but they don't trade Malkin or Kessel for a D to help, and it's worked ok for them. Their elite forwards carry the back end. We have an elite D, let's see if that can carry the forwards instead of making a trade and being meh-average at every position.

Other random thoughts :
Zykovs skating hasn't been an issue at all to me, and he's incredible in front of the net.
I was quite happy with Martinooks game, I'd like him to stick as he's played C in the NHL before and looks good on the PK which is needed.
I don't think there's any way that Foegele doesn't make the team, but I do see Kev's point about getting him big minutes in the AHL instead of pigeon holing him into a 4th line role here, as I do believe offense can be developed like anything else. I'd be fine with him being sent down for that reason, but it's a moot point as he'll be sticking around.

Zykov-Aho-Svech
McGinn-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Necas-TT
Foegele-Martinook-PDG
Wallmark

Is how I'd organize the forwards for now. Maybe switch Svech and TT for a game and see what difference that makes, even though Rod doesn't want to play the rookies together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad