GDT: Caps @ Bruins 3.16.2013 1 PM

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
“I let him know I was there too, and I guess he had his pick,” McQuaid said. “We don’t like to see our top line fight, give in to stuff like that. So it’s one of those things where you’ve got to stick up for your teammates.”

Sure it will not win a team a cup, but it builds up the team chemistry better than Sushi could ever do.

I will forever think players play with more confidence when they know for fact their teammates have their backs. Our guys are clearly tentative. Hesitant, playing afraid. Well, all but de stud boy Hendy.

Oates is stuck between a rock and a hard place with no goon and is forced to say meaningless things like:

“There’s going to be nights during the course of the year that there’s going to be some fights and the game is not as fluid, it’s more choppy,” Oates said. “It shouldn’t affect us.”

CrashTheNet9

Jul 11, 2011
I want to see Ovi or Brouwer or one of the other mouthpieces stick up for their teammates on the ice. Gr

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Saw him on ice and figured I'd get it out of the way. And then as soon as I post that comment he got hit hard into the boards by a player smaller than him. :shakehead

I've been on the glass 2 feet away from Chara getting hit hard into the boards by Mike Green. What the heck does that mean?

As soon as you posted that I went back looking for anything that could have brought it on. I saw that play. Carlson reversed the puck behind the net and Schultz didn't expect it, as you would expect he wasn't exactly quick to the puck but he got to it first, used his body to shield the puck, and on his backhand chipped the puck perfectly back to Carlson for an easy controlled out while taking that hit. What the heck is the problem with that?

Liberati0n*

I want to see Ovi or Brouwer or one of the other mouthpieces stick up for their teammates on the ice. Gr

Has Brouwer been in a single fight since he signed his big contract? How many since he signed his 2.3M one, even?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Has Brouwer been in a single fight since he signed his big contract? How many since he signed his 2.3M one, even?

Honestly, it's looking more and more like an organizational thing. Chimera's toned it down, Brouwer's toned it down, Volpatti and Oleksy have seemingly toned it down.. Cooke did when he was here, and so on.

It's gotta come from Leonsis, because there's no way George McPhee, of all people, would have an anti-fighting stance, right?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hendricks picks his spots and so does Erskine. They just aren't a tight-knit group really and play in a mental fog of systematic mindlessness. They don't seem to care about preparing in a meaningful way outside of general systematic positioning and hardly play with any emotion generally. If they actually played with emotion but avoided dropping the gloves I could see where it might be mandated. Their lack of fire is much, much deeper since they're hardly ever in situations that might require it to begin with.

It's much of what necessitated the fire sale only this team isn't chock full of veterans. They have a similar staleness anyway.

Liberati0n*

If fighting has been discouraged by anyone I would think it's the coaches, specifically Boudreau and Oates. But Langway's right.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly, it's looking more and more like an organizational thing. Chimera's toned it down, Brouwer's toned it down, Volpatti and Oleksy have seemingly toned it down.. Cooke did when he was here, and so on.

It's gotta come from Leonsis, because there's no way George McPhee, of all people, would have an anti-fighting stance, right?

More likely those guys are saying, hell, if nobody is sticking up for us....screw it why should I get their backs?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They don't have a heavy. They can't run around with Boston's players and get away with it. that's just where it stands. As for sticking up for each other, sure, that's a point of contention, but other than Erskine, they don't have a heavyweight. They don't even really have an enforcer. To be fair, Erskine's at the point in his career where he is too injury prone to be out there throwing each night. He isn't a day in and day out fighter. The organization might have something to do with it, but that's more of a "we don't have an enforcer" more than a "tone it down guys".

You can get guys playing with more snarl if they know they have a heavy on their roster. Guys like Hendricks/Chimera can't run around if they're going to have to pay the piper too often.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Yeah, clearly fighting wins games.

Fun fact: Backstrom 5 primary assists only so far out of 19 total...

Also I laugh at Hendricks being your favorite Cap. Guy turns the puck over in the defensive zone way too often and when he actually skates the puck out of the zone he decides he is going to shoot or take the puck to the net.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Fun fact: 7 of OV's 10 goals are from the PP. He can't do **** even strength, much like the rest of the team.

Halpysback*

For the team to play like boston there needs to be a major commitment to getting high end fighters and hitters on the roster. At least a pair of heavyweights, 3 or 4 capable middle-lightweight scrappers (preferable most more capable than Hendricks) and more than have the team regularly hitting. At least one agitator so all the fighters actually have to do their job.

Assuming they sign Clowe, Wilson earns a spot next season and they trade for Gaustad or someone like that, they'd be halfway there.

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
I'm just tired of seeing this team lose games, .....getting bullied just makes it worse,......but sitting idly by while 1 guy takes on the whole opposing team is just inexcusable !

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm just tired of seeing this team lose games, .....getting bullied just makes it worse,......but sitting idly by while 1 guy takes on the whole opposing team is just inexcusable !

The losing doesn't bother me much as the bullying. Last several seasons have been awful. I can't help but think of the Ranger game where Stepan hit Green and the Caps were thoroughly humiliated. That had to be the worst loss in several years in my book.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I hadn't realized fighting gets you goals.

Someone whined in this thread about Oates saying this isn't the Caps, he's correct. The Caps got into the Bruins game, and the crowd actually got into the game, even with the goals they were pretty dead silent in between them. Then you have the hugging it out session and the matching minors and the Bruins dominate the 4 on 4 and then score right as they are getting out of the box.

The reffing was laughably bad in the game too... Joey Crabb cross checked in face, it goes down as roughing and some how it goes down as a roughing and Hendricks drawing it and it wasn't like it was after the fact thing and they didn't see the Crabb incident, just a idiot ref. Then the Backstrom getting his stick held by Krejci goes down as Krejci interfering with Hillen.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think we don't have a goon because I have long suspected we tried to emulate the Detroit Model to win a cup. It is not working, so George seeks light and middles to make up for it. When the **** hits the fan, its not enough. Ted couldn't cook that up, its George. George is just trying to figure out how to GM in Mario's league.

The spirit of the team is broken and appears to have been that way for some time. Dale seemed to be getting the team to rally since he refused to be the cheerleader they rallied around themselves. Oates has a tough job.

The worst non call was Oleksy getting tripped Lurch on a great move to the net, early in the 3rd plenty of time to come back if we scored. An Orr like stick move and Lurch clumsily sticks out his size 18 skate. I slow mo'd and it was deliberate. Their Norris guy tripped ours.

Looks he lost a few fingers

BFgIj0cCIAAU25a.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad