Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Broons - Apr 18 Noon

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
DC sports media needs to step up their game IMO. Absolute masterclass by our friend Kevin Paul Dupont:

Reactions: max21

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
As the resident poster who usually sides with the DOPS when they suspend Tom Wilson, I will say that if Hathaway or especially Wilson see any form of supplementary discipline for their hits today I will personally craft my own tinfoil hat and wear it the rest of the season.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
As the resident poster who usually sides with the DOPS when they suspend Tom Wilson, I will say that if Hathaway or especially Wilson see any form of supplementary discipline for their hits today I will personally craft my own tinfoil hat and wear it the rest of the season.
not a chance either get something. if they do i genuinely just give up on the dops

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Well let's complete the Freaky Friday swap. I won't be surprised if GH comes away with some kind of supplemental discipline. I can see how that hit fits into the broad wording of the Boarding rule just as much as the Carlo hit did. This is a feature built into the rule. And given the way the league loves to punish Caps for "dangerous" hits, and police players they view as "hunting" for hits (which GH was doing imo) I won't be surprised by some action from DOPS.

To me that play was dumb vs dumber. GH could've held off when Tinordi was sort of 3/4 angled. He was far from the boards but in that grey in-between area where a guy can fall and still hit the boards, but not be supported by them. Tinordi is 6'6" so that zone is greater for him.

Should GH have to account for that when hitting someone? By the rule, yes. But also by the rule you have to consider whether the hit was avoidable and if the other player put himself in a bad position such as turning his back to the hitter. Tinordi clearly did that, but again the initial hit decision is borderline.

And the bloody outcome is definitely what jacked it up to a major, and may get the DOPS sniffing around.

The Wilson hit is clearly just incidental contact from a falling player and not worth discussing as TW said, though.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Nothing will happen with Wilson. It was a nothing play. But don't surprised if Hathaway gets 2 or 3 games.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Rask stood square to Backstrom and was reacting to the actual shot not guessing. Almost an identical situation with Krejci goal #4 and Vanecek did completely opposite.

I have no clue what Scott Murray is teaching our goalies on how to play mentally! The mental game is more important to have consistent, good goaltending. Vitek's/Sammy's mental game is not there yet. They just seem to know enough to stop pucks, but they both have a lot of work to do to learn how to read the play in front of them.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We lost this one, and Bruins have had the best of us lately (if you dont count that game where they played with Providence team). But im not that worried meeting them in playoffs.. they depend for their first line more than anyone, and their D is not strong.

we missed Chara and its clear we need him on the lineup. He has fastly become so important.

Rask took 4-5 big saves on the third, could have gone either way.

third game for short time.

lets panic!
Rask was the difference in this game. He made several big saves on grade A chances. He stopped 4 breakaways.
As for Chara I agree that we missed him especially on the pk. If we still had Seigenthaler I don't think it would have been a problem.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Nothing will happen with Wilson. It was a nothing play. But don't surprised if Hathaway gets 2 or 3 games.

If the NHL wants to do things right, Hathaway should not be fined or suspended. The Bruins player turned at the last second. Hathaway didn't even hit him that hard and was not targeting. What Hathaway executed was a regular hockey play.

Reactions: longtime lurker

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I have no clue what Scott Murray is teaching our goalies on how to play mentally! The mental game is more important to have consistent, good goaltending. Vitek's/Sammy's mental game is not there yet. They just seem to know enough to stop pucks, but they both have a lot of work to do to learn how to read the play in front of them.
I find when Vanecek is in the butterfly he plays very small. There is alot of room upstairs. He also goes down too early too often.
Sammy plays bigger and is more athletic but he moves around too much and quite often loses his net. How many times have we seen him outside the post?
I'm worried about our young goalies. I'm leaning towards Sammy because I think he is more capable of stealing games due to his athletic ability.

Reactions: SherVaughn30

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
im starting to think scott murray might be a bit of a problem. shit went downhill with holtby once korn left for murray, now its these two. if it was just one goalie, shit happens. if its all of them, then things might need to change

Reactions: SherVaughn30

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
If the NHL wants to do things right, Hathaway should not be fined or suspended. The Bruins player turned at the last second. Hathaway didn't even hit him that hard and was not targeting. What Hathaway executed was a regular hockey play.
I didn't think Tinordi turned very much. Even live at full speed you could see that something bad was going to happen long before Hathaway got there.
I'm going to watch it a few more times in slow motion. Maybe I'll change my mind.
I know when I saw it live I called before the ref did.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He won't. Sammy will only become our playoff goalie due to injury or Vitek totally falls off a cliff with his play.
Vitek hasn't been good his last few games and 2 of those were against Buffalo. The worst team in the league.
Other than the blowout against the Islanders Sammy has been better. If you Remember that was the game that Sammy left because he got hit in the head by Oshie. Vitek came in and let in a couple of goals and the Lavi put Sammy back in net. There is no way in hell that Sammy should have been put back in that game.
In my opinion it is very possible that Sammy takes the reigns before the end of the season.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Masterclass? In what?

In living his best life with no impulse control, not holding back saying whatever primitive thought enters his mind, and not caring about little things like being right or wrong.

I wish I had that level of confidence in what I say.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I want pics. 7/10 Hath gets at least a game.

Reactions: g00n

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I missed this game, but after watching highlights, it seems refs were bad tonight. That uncalled interference on Wilson before a goal against is just criminal.
The refs were bad. Even a couple of the calls they did make they needed to use replay to make the call.
They missed a high stick to Eller and used replay to call the penalty. I'm sure that is a misuse of replay. Same with the 5 mine major to Hathaway. They didn't initially call it. They aren't supposed use replay to make a penalty call. I think they can only use replay if they call a double minor or a major. They will review to confirm its a penalty. On both those plays there was no initial penalty call.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In living his best life with no impulse control, not holding back saying whatever primitive thought enters his mind, and not caring about little things like being right or wrong.

I wish I had that level of confidence in what I say.

KPD is in the hall of fame and no longer a beat reporter. He can say anything he wants short of the N word. I used to know him reasonably well. He hates that Tom Wilson draws breath.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The refs were bad. Even a couple of the calls they did make they needed to use replay to make the call.
They missed a high stick to Eller and used replay to call the penalty. I'm sure that is a misuse of replay. Same with the 5 mine major to Hathaway. They didn't initially call it. They aren't supposed use replay to make a penalty call. I think they can only use replay if they call a double minor or a major. They will review to confirm its a penalty. On both those plays there was no initial penalty call.

The review for the 4 or 5 min penalties is a crutch. A backdoor to video review

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I find when Vanecek is in the butterfly he plays very small. There is alot of room upstairs. He also goes down too early too often.
Sammy plays bigger and is more athletic but he moves around too much and quite often loses his net. How many times have we seen him outside the post?
I'm worried about our young goalies. I'm leaning towards Sammy because I think he is more capable of stealing games due to his athletic ability.

Good assessment on the young goalies weaknesses. I'm gonna go outside the box. Caps going into the playoffs are a better team with Anderson, then with Vitek/Sammy. Why would I say that? While Anderson doesn't have the youth/skill set ability of Vitek/Sammy, he has tons of experience, he doesn't get flustered, he has more motivation because it's his last shot at winning a Cup, he is far better at covering pucks to get whistles(allows the team to get a break with a face-off and get a line change) and playing the puck to help out the d-men, and he's a much better communicator with his d-men(part of a good unison between the goalie/d-men, is communication).

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I've reviewed that Hathaway hit several times in so motion and I haven't changed my mind. Tinordi's back was facing Hathaway the entire time. Tinordi did turn slightly before Hathaway got so Hathaway so him right between the numbers. If Tinordi didn't turn I still think he would have taken the hit on the back but it would have been around the back of the shoulder which is still a hit from behind. I don't think there was anyway for Hathaway to make a clean hit there.
I think this hit was dirtier than anything Wonder ever got suspended for.
After seeing Chandler Stephenson get 3 games for an elbow on his first offense.
Hathaway has to get atleast 3 games.

Reactions: b in vancouver

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
im starting to think scott murray might be a bit of a problem. shit went downhill with holtby once korn left for murray, now its these two. if it was just one goalie, shit happens. if its all of them, then things might need to change

He most certainly is. From my readings, Murray had some regard to teaching innovative techniques. But what good is technique if you can't teach your goalies to play smart(the best goalie coaches know how to teach goalies to be better mentally).

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The review for the 4 or 5 min penalties is a crutch. A backdoor to video review
But they used it the wrong way. It's not supposed to be used to make the call. It's supposed to be used to confirm it. If they missed the initial call the refs can discuss it with the other officials to see if they saw anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad