GDT: Caps-Bolts: 12am GMT Start - Twabby goes to first game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Realistically he wouldn't be up here and arguably wouldn't have even made his debut yet if we weren't so injury filled over the past 2 years, but what can you do

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
And they're back to being a bottom 10 team in points percentage. There are some incredibly fun forwards throughout the top 10 next year at least. Hope they manage to nab one.

When the Caps are off and it's an uphill struggle they don't have much methodically or individually to reel games in and recapture momentum. They can't afford poor habits and some of theirs are incredibly deeply entrenched and seemingly unavoidable by nature. They have their good games. They have their groove when it clicks. But the gaps in between are always going to be there even when healthy (and who knows how often we should expect ideal health). Within their current approach they don't have the horses to execute highly effective shutdown team defense. That's not even getting into 5v5 offense and its role as something of an afterthought. Their primary area of emphasis is poorly stocked and executed. I don't know what you really do to alter that dilemma. Change coaches? Could happen but the pieces will still be what they are.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
And they're back to being a bottom 10 team in points percentage. There are some incredibly fun forwards throughout the top 10 next year at least. Hope they manage to nab one.

When the Caps are off and it's an uphill struggle they don't have much methodically or individually to reel games in and recapture momentum. They can't afford poor habits and some of theirs are incredibly deeply entrenched and seemingly unavoidable by nature. They have their good games. They have their groove when it clicks. But the gaps in between are always going to be there even when healthy (and who knows how often we should expect ideal health). Within their current approach they don't have the horses to execute highly effective shutdown team defense. That's not even getting into 5v5 offense and its role as something of an afterthought. Their primary area of emphasis is poorly stocked and executed. I don't know what you really do to alter that dilemma. Change coaches? Could happen but the pieces will still be what they are.

Their best bet might be a dead cat bounce followed up by reinforcements?

It’s grim. This isn’t the 2014 team where coaching was clearly holding them back, but the coaching certainly isn’t helping either. They need someone to lead a retool and it seems doubtful Laviolette is that guy. I’m having my doubts MacLellan is that guy either. It’s becoming clear that the strategy that got them in the playoffs the last two seasons isn’t going to get the job done, and I don’t see a pivot coming from Laviolette.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I’m having my doubts MacLellan is that guy either.
I really wonder if GMBM would actually pick a guy like Lavi as his coach. Weren't all indications Ted and Dick were running the coaching search and that, in generalities, the HC is fairly equal to the GM here?

I say this because with GMBM's move I see a clear pattern of expected style of play that he's shooting for, but it just doesn't seem to align with how/what Lavi is trying to produce with the team.

I guess I just have more confidence in GMBM getting an actual retool done then I do Ted finding a new GM. Let's be honest, he's just gonna hire someone in house if he cans both GMBM and Lavi.

Reactions: Rayquaza64 and HTFN

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I really wonder if GMBM would actually pick a guy like Lavi as his coach. Weren't all indications Ted and Dick were running the coaching search and that, in generalities, the HC is fairly equal to the GM here?

I say this because with GMBM's move I see a clear pattern of expected style of play that he's shooting for, but it just doesn't seem to align with how/what Lavi is trying to produce with the team.

I guess I just have more confidence in GMBM getting an actual retool done then I do Ted finding a new GM. Let's be honest, he's just gonna hire someone in house if he cans both GMBM and Lavi.

When Ted let go GMGM and fired Oates, he went in-house for GMBM and external for Trotz.

I think in this case GMBM deserves to get more rope than Lavi, who has no success to his name with the Caps.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I think there are some major developmental and drafting issues under MacLellan’s leadership though that can’t be overlooked when undergoing a retool.

I don’t know what Ted would do. MacLellan has had his issues but it’s hard to say he wasn’t the right guy at the time (even if he may not be the guy now), so in that respect Ted deserves some credit.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think there are some major developmental and drafting issues under MacLellan’s leadership though that can’t be overlooked when undergoing a retool.

I don’t know what Ted would do. MacLellan has had his issues but it’s hard to say he wasn’t the right guy at the time (even if he may not be the guy now), so in that respect Ted deserves some credit.
It's true, it should be considered a crime against humanity that we're struggling to fill our top 6 defenders with all the picks we've put into defense the last half decade, but I also don't think they've been as bad as you'd think. The issue's been twofold.

The first was they've had a Stanley Cup contending team since like 2015 that just didn't have injuries, so there was no time for players to actually graduate and show that they belonged. I can't blame the front office, the coaching staff, or really anyone for that period where everyone was always healthy and they rarely if ever needed a call up.

The second issue has been there handling of development of players, and this is something I can't entirely blame on the front office. We've let so many guys go, who had some form of success with us, but because they weren't doing it the "right way" in the coaching staffs eye they were shipped out and then proceed to blossom elsewhere. Guys like Burakovsky, Stephenson, and Siegenthaler really bother me looking back on because we unloaded them because the coach/room had issues with them and then someone else was able to turn them into highly productive players. GMBM deserves blame, but I look at it like the Vrana trade. I don't think GMBM wanted to unload that trade for Mantha, but Lavi had issue with him so he had to unload him to get someone he'd use. I think Trotz had similar issues when you look back at his handling of Burakovsky, Vrana, Schmidt, and others.

For example we shouldn't be in 2022 wondering if Lucas Johansen is an NHL level player. He should have probably been given time in 19 or 20 but we trade for Dillon in 19 and then give Chara all the minutes in the world in 2020. The Dillon trade aside, I don't blame GMBM for signing Chara for no money. I do blame a coaching staff that rode him to death instead of trying to cycle him out and keep him fresh and attempt to lean on some younger talent that they had waiting in the pipe.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
McMichael needs sent down. Dude looks lost out there
He’s not a winger. Painfully obvious he doesn’t feel comfortable on the wing. You’d hope an NHL caliber forward could play at both positions but they’re extremely different positions in every facet of the game and he’s clearly more comfortable in the middle of the ice.

He needs to be playing center. He’s a different player at center than at wing and if they’re not going to play him at center then send him down. Or some other team will get smart and trade for him and put him at center and he’ll flourish.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He’s not a winger. Painfully obvious he doesn’t feel comfortable on the wing. You’d hope an NHL caliber forward could play at both positions but they’re extremely different positions in every facet of the game and he’s clearly more comfortable in the middle of the ice.

He needs to be playing center. He’s a different player at center than at wing and if they’re not going to play him at center then send him down. Or some other team will get smart and trade for him and put him at center and he’ll flourish.

It really is insane that the GM spent interviews talking about how he is a much much better center than winger and he hasn’t played a single minute at C all season.

If they are hellbent on keeping Eller in the lineup then he really does need to be in Hershey playing center. And if one of the centers in DC go down with injury there’s no reason they can’t just call him up.

Ludicrous development plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad