Post-Game Talk: Caps at NYR 12/23/14 (Nash hat trick now official!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
By the way since tha torrid start Stralman has about 2 assists this whole month he's settling back into what he is.

Let's not lose sleep over him

Staal is a must and yes slats chose boyle short term over Stralman for his offense but also because he knows he's gotta pay Staal to keep the big 3 intact

Are you seriously going to use just assists to encompass what Stralman brings to the table? We have gone over this alot but that's just a weak argument.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
By the way since tha torrid start Stralman has about 2 assists this whole month he's settling back into what he is.

Let's not lose sleep over him

Staal is a must and yes slats chose boyle short term over Stralman for his offense but also because he knows he's gotta pay Staal to keep the big 3 intact

I know a lot of fans are down on staal but when the games get big we need him. A forward you can replace but a 3rd/4th dman with experience and skill is hard to replace. Especially on road in playoffs where most of time you can't get your top pair on the ice to match up against the the top line of the opposition. It's critical to have a decent shutdown second pairing so we won't get exposed.
Now if we can sign someone capable of that or make a trade for someone like that then ok but I dont see that happening.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Something really needs to be done about Stepans line. They really haven't done much at ES lately. Dont think MSL gits with Kreider and Stepan.

That Line is terrible. You'd think with Kreider's size and speed, and strong work on the boards he'd be a good compliment to Marty.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
For the record I wanted us to cut Stralman and sign boyle. We needed more offensive push from the back end and management agreed and did exactly that.

I liked Stralman but I'm glad we did what we did and boyle will be very good for us. Broken hand and the flu is a tough way to start the year.

Now I do that because I KNOW we are keeping Staal

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I know a lot of fans are down on staal but when the games get big we need him. A forward you can replace but a 3rd/4th dman with experience and skill is hard to replace. Especially on road in playoffs where most of time you can't get your top pair on the ice to match up against the the top line of the opposition. It's critical to have a decent shutdown second pairing so we won't get exposed.
Now if we can sign someone capable of that or make a trade for someone like that then ok but I dont see that happening.

The only people that want him gone are HFboard fan boys who rather have a leon draisital and plan for the future every year instead of realizing they are in the middle of a window to win a Cup.

When we are battling crosby to get out of the metro come playoff time you'll be thankful U have Marc Staal shutting that bi$&&ch down.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
The problem with the Stepan line is every damn one of them are thinking pass first every time. I'll give Step and Marty the botd there because that's the kind of players they are, but Kreider is forcing nonexistent passes more often than not.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The problem with the Stepan line is every damn one of them are thinking pass first every time. I'll give Step and Marty the botd there because that's the kind of players they are, but Kreider is forcing nonexistent passes more often than not.
It's always specifically to MSL too.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That Line is terrible. You'd think with Kreider's size and speed, and strong work on the boards he'd be a good compliment to Marty.

Nash is the best fit for that RW but I have zero interest in taking him away from Brassard and Zucc.

Maybe put Miller in that wing and drop MSL down? Though it's not like MSL deserves a demotion.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
It's always specifically to MSL too.
Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem for the passes that make it through (Kreider's an underrated playmaker imo) if Marty didn't instantly think "TOUCH PASS" to someone else that also doesn't work a lot

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem for the passes that make it through (Kreider's an underrated playmaker imo) if Marty didn't instantly think "TOUCH PASS" to someone else that also doesn't work a lot

Agreed.

That's why Nash worked so well on that line.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
As much as I love McDonagh, he's not that good on the powerplay. His long range shooting is awful.

I thought he was the biggest reason for the PP's improvement last year. Also he almost beat the Kings in one of those OTs with one of those shots (I know it was only one shot).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I thought he was the biggest reason for the PP's improvement last year. Also he almost beat the Kings in one of those OTs with one of those shots (I know it was only one shot).

Once in awhile he pulls one out. I mean he's no Girardi on the PP, I'll give him that. But for player who's extraordinary on defense and even strength offense, he's an average PP d-man and his shot leave a lot to be desired.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Once in awhile he pulls one out. I mean he's no Girardi on the PP, I'll give him that. But for player who's extraordinary on defense and even strength offense, he's an average PP d-man and his shot leave a lot to be desired.

I don't know maybe it was in comparison to Girardi, but that PP looked good last year with him on the point.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I don't know maybe it was in comparison to Girardi, but that PP looked good last year with him on the point.

McD doesn't have the booming shot, but he's a big step forward over G re keeping the puck in the zone, passing, stickhandling, carrying the puck in, etc.

I can't watch the puck jump over Girardi's stick and out any more. I just can't.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
That's definitely true. But it's still hard to believe it's been that long since the last 8 game winning streak.

Hey, it's good we're doing so well. But this winning streak includes an OT win and a shootout win - both of which would have been ties in the old days. so in a sense it's a 6-win-2-tie streak.

Was it 2005 that they eliminated ties completely? I can't remember.

gotta win v NJ.

AHB*

Hey, it's good we're doing so well. But this winning streak includes an OT win and a shootout win - both of which would have been ties in the old days. so in a sense it's a 6-win-2-tie streak.

Was it 2005 that they eliminated ties completely? I can't remember.

gotta win v NJ.

OT wins weren't OT wins in 1975?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad