Nov 3, 2006
I suspect losing Erskine for the full game hurt

But it was more an overall team let down I suppose

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
lol @ this board.

Backstrom flings a puck to the point on a PP and it gets barely through Ovechkin and you guys bash him.

gogensgo

Mar 13, 2011
Did I see this correctly - Ribs takes another stupid unsportsmanlike penalty at a critical time in the game and they score - and then right after he gets out of the box Oates puts him back out there without nailing his butt to the bench?
This country-club team is getting ridiculous.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Oates was yelling at the refs. His anger was directed there. The officials were terrible. But neither they nor Ribs cost this game. The Caps were soft on the puck and porous on D all afternoon. With a milestone looming, Ovie was asleep. Just a weak game all around. Grubauer gave up 6 and was still the Caps best player. Regroup for tomorrow.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Did I see this correctly - Ribs takes another stupid unsportsmanlike penalty at a critical time in the game and they score - and then right after he gets out of the box Oates puts him back out there without nailing his butt to the bench?
This country-club team is getting ridiculous.

MOD

These refs are so thin skinned its unbelievable. We've seen BB yell at them the same way for 5 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liberati0n*

Any Caps fans from NY area going to this game? I'll be there, probably only one wearing a MoJo jersey.

I saw you in the parking lot on the way in. Pretty conspicuous jersey.

Rough game. My section was like 95% Capitals' fans. You could tell on both 4-minute PPs that the Islanders were going to score before long. The shorthanded goal on top of those was just hilarious.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Ribs needs to learn to shut the **** up.. But other than that, I dont want to hear what they can get for him.. They need to offer him 6 mil x 3 and STILL go find a blueliner with balls.. No depth at Center has been screwing us for multiple years now..

Also crossing fingers that Ersky isn't seriously hurt..

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
My .02:

We were out-coached.

In an attempt to jump start the offence, we threw the kitchen sink at em for much of the 1st period. They weathered it, and we got caught pinching up. We were a half-step behind much of the rest of the game. It was 2-2 at one point, but only because they put the first one in themselves.

Ward looked pretty good at times today, but we need to take a lesson from this, and play more patiently tomorrow: we tried pinching up all of the time with BB, Adam. It didn't work.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
MOD

We cannot put one of only capable players on the bench in a fairly critical game. We just don't have the wiggle room as to talent.

Ribs made mistakes today, but on balance, he's played well for us.

Last edited by a moderator:

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
We finally get a 2C and we are going to dump him? Why? Unless we are dumping OV and rebuilding this team.

The first clue that we were rebuilding was when we found out that we were going with 2 young goaltenders.

I agree with you though, no sense in dumping him, and you'd think we wouldn't.

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
The first clue that we were rebuilding was when we found out that we were going with 2 young goaltenders.

I agree with you though, no sense in dumping him, and you'd think we wouldn't.

Only option I see is if you trade him for Brad Richards. Due to the length of his contract, most would say no. We can always buy him out if he doesn't perform.

I'd do it.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Only option I see is if you trade him for Brad Richards. Due to the length of his contract, most would say no. We can always buy him out if he doesn't perform.

I'd do it.

I think you keep him. Our immediate need is on D, and then goaltending.

Watching McPhee all of these years, I see him picking up a Dman, goalie, and forward from the scrap heap, to make a run. We may get to the 2nd round, at which time not going farther will be blamed on the half season and the loss of Green for much of the season. I can just hear it now.

I'd add, he would be doing this to save his job, but the Caps are probably in the black slightly, so he's in no danger.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Step 1.) Show up and play 60 minutes each game.

This rarely happens and it's pathetic. Boston and Florida games were a ton of energy. Today they didn't give a ****. That's unacceptable to everyone except Ted, GM and the players, I guess.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
We finally get a 2C and we are going to dump him? Why? Unless we are dumping OV and rebuilding this team.

I don't think many are trading Ribs, unless it is obvious he doesn't want to resign here. I rather keep him. The offer would have to impress the Caps to trade. I am with the upgrade the D crowd and resign Ribs.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Missed the game (hate the early games) but really disappointed to see the Caps flat again. I felt like they're turning a corner...

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I don't want to trade Ribeiro if he'll sign an extension by the deadline. But if the Caps are out of the playoff picture (which looks likely), it would be terrible management not to cash in on that valuable asset.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I'd be fine with a reasonable extension, but he's going to get well more than reasonable if he tests the market so I don't see why he wouldn't. Obviously I don't know what he wants, and if that's the case then we might see an extension. But I don't expect it.

So I say trade him if/when it comes to that. If you tank well enough, go with MacKinnon as your 2C next year and Perreault to back him up in tougher situations. Spend money on the D if you can, or pursue someone like Weiss, or try to trade for Stastny.

Ribeiro's making his hay on the PP. I feel like the Caps should be able to replace that without making a bad commitment.

But of course what we want is irrelevant. What will be will be. :dunno:

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Step 1.) Show up and play 60 minutes each game.

This rarely happens and it's pathetic. Boston and Florida games were a ton of energy. Today they didn't give a ****. That's unacceptable to everyone except Ted, GM and the players, I guess.

I disagree.

I felt they played 60 minutes... but didn't have enough in the tank after that 1st period.

Carlson may as well play forward... rushing up to join the attack all game: Alzner didn't have (or, doesn't yet have) enough skill to have his back.

We're short on talent... and it shows in all 3 areas of the game.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Went to sleep after the 2nd.
Well I guess we should expect them playing like that once every 3 or 4 games yet. Playing 5D didn't help as well. Try to be better today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad