GDT: Caps and Wings 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Pretty dismal. Their pre-game huddle must have gone something like this: “we’re having a lot of trouble scoring goals”. “Right so let’s be sure to pass up as many shot opportunities as possible so that we will score that 1 pretty goal that makes up for all the ones we’ve failed to score in 2023”

• Haha
Reactions: StrikingDistance

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Pretty dismal. Their pre-game huddle must have gone something like this: “we’re having a lot of trouble scoring goals”. “Right so let’s be sure to pass up as many shot opportunities as possible so that we will score that 1 pretty goal that makes up for all the ones we’ve failed to score in 2023”

so many chances to shoot were passed up tonight. the fix is in!

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Oh wtf ever….that’s a routine play in the NHL if your head isn’t up your ass.
I don't want to play the GMGM were you even in the game card...but one of the most fundamental things you learn as a dman is to use your partner and to use the wall, never out front of your own net unless you're skating it and possessing it and there's no pressure coming if you do so. You don't flip a pass to a forward surrounded by multiple opposing players in the most dangerous part of the ice in front of your goalie. That was a McIlrath level decision. I get it Kuzy is playing poorly right now but call it what it is...whole team needs to be better not just him.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Well…..I bet the Wings.….knowing damn well this was likely…..I feel dirty, but well paid.
Easiest money you'll ever make... one of the hottest teams vs. one of the coldest teams. Dylan Larkin tried to gift the game for us but even without him it was a rather easy win for the Wings.

Should be an interesting trade deadline.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Roflmao. It's not just this board, it goes way back to ESPN etc, but yeah we need to be more patient with youngsters and potential future Caps.
I’m all for being patient with youngsters, ie not kicking them to the curb. Some may turn out to be serviceable NHL players. But it’s painfully obvious Maclellan and his staff have done a very poor job procuring high level talent through the draft in these 9 years of drafting. The difference between McPhee and Maclellan in similar draft positions is striking. Yes McPhee struck out on occasion and yes the Forsberg trade was unforgivable (btw Maclellan has admitted he had a willing role in that), but he also has picks like Carlson, Holtby, MJ, Orlov, Eakin, Kuzy, Grubeaur, Boyd, Djoos, Bura, and Stephenson. Not including Wilson because he was a 16. Sure the jury is still out on some of Maclellan’s picks but so far they are looking meh.

Reactions: koalabear9301

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I don't want to play the GMGM were you even in the game card...but one of the most fundamental things you learn as a dman is to use your partner and to use the wall, never out front of your own net unless you're skating it and possessing it and there's no pressure coming if you do so. You don't flip a pass to a forward surrounded by multiple opposing players in the most dangerous part of the ice in front of your goalie. That was a McIlrath level decision. I get it Kuzy is playing poorly right now but call it what it is...whole team needs to be better not just him.
Wasn't that Jensen who made the pass from behind the net to Kuznetsov. I know Locker between periods focused on Kuzy fumbling the puck, but after the score it seemed Kuemper immediately turned towards Jensen and said something to him, most likely WTF. Maybe it was Jensen's "don't trade me move", because such a move doesn't help his value.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Puck just wouldnt go in last night. Guys still gave a losing effort but I thought it should have been 3-4.

Its bad hockey with bad luck at this point.

Canes game was just hard to watch, last night we played better but man .. if thats better .. f***ing A man.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wasn't that Jensen who made the pass from behind the net to Kuznetsov. I know Locker between periods focused on Kuzy fumbling the puck, but after the score it seemed Kuemper immediately turned towards Jensen and said something to him, most likely WTF. Maybe it was Jensen's "don't trade me move", because such a move doesn't help his value.
He said “dude…..he couldn’t have been more wide open, not your fault.”……..;)

Attachments

• 045CA26A-5BB1-44B9-A7D3-34667DB63B02.jpeg
    045CA26A-5BB1-44B9-A7D3-34667DB63B02.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 2

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
This goal was like a microcosm of the terrible stretches of play this year. It doesn’t feel like opposing teams “earn” most of their goals against us. Either we turn it over in prime scoring spots, or ridiculous seeing eye shots hit 3 guys and go in.

Our zone exits have been atrocious for most of this year. They try short passes in their own zone too much (and constantly turn it over), and everyone seems terrified of icing for some reason. I imagine this is coaching since everyone does it - from various D combos, to the forwards, and even DK, who turns it over most times he plays the puck. I can’t remember a Caps team that was so careless with the puck.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Guys, forgive the dumb question but I've been outta the loop for a while.

If Ovie gets back tonight, does he still have a shot at a 50 goal season?

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Guys, forgive the dumb question but I've been outta the loop for a while.

If Ovie gets back tonight, does he still have a shot at a 50 goal season?
He needs to score at almost a goal a game pace for the rest of the season while playing for a bad team.

Reactions: sycamore

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
045CA26A-5BB1-44B9-A7D3-34667DB63B02~2.jpeg

Option A, keep to your strong side since Jensen is a righty and go up the wall hard to the teammate just out of frame. Option B, pivot the hips slightly and reverse to Marty Party off the boards to avoid the fly-by forechecker and brace for a possible hit if he doesn't fly. Option C pivot the hips and go hard around to Milano. The big red blob is where basically every coach I ever had would bag skate me to death if I passed the puck to. Jensen has several options here and he took the least desirable. On film breakdown day I'm hoping he gets a similar visual.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I fully agree that coaches at most levels of hockey loathe that Jensen to Kuzy pass. But these are the best players in the world and there's a lot of open space there. I've seen the Caps and other teams make that play lots of times in order to get a (relatively) easy clear. It's one of the things that is cool about the NHL - these guys are so good that you can dispense with some of the coaching orthodoxies stringently applied at other levels.

Also, if that play is such an unequivocal no-go at all times, then WTF is Kuzy doing presenting himself to Jensen in that manner. He's not just down there being responsible C in front of the net in a 2-1 game in the 3rd where we're trying to tie it up.

I suspect the Caps coaching staff may even prioritize getting the puck onto Kuzy's stick when he's open to start a transition, even if he's open in a dangerous area - because most of the time they execute that play and he's one of your best hands, highest skilled players most able to pull that kind of thing off. To me, Kuzy was asking for that puck, and needed to make a better, more possessive play than immediately trying to half-ass pass it to his wing without actually gathering it onto his stick.

And the failure to pull of that play and have it end up in the back of our net is a little microcosm of the disconnectedness that has plagued the Caps since the new year began. And with each game the discombobulation seems to grow and the collective confidence seems to shrink. It's a cycle of suck - hope Ovi's return can pull them out of it

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
View attachment 654909
Option A, keep to your strong side since Jensen is a righty and go up the wall hard to the teammate just out of frame. Option B, pivot the hips slightly and reverse to Marty Party off the boards to avoid the fly-by forechecker and brace for a possible hit if he doesn't fly. Option C pivot the hips and go hard around to Milano. The big red blob is where basically every coach I ever had would bag skate me to death if I passed the puck to. Jensen has several options here and he took the least desirable. On film breakdown day I'm hoping he gets a similar visual.
Eh, this is the NHL, passing to an open guy in front of the net happens all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad