Rumor: Caps and Oshie deal "All but done"

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd be thrilled with that contract but I need to see a good source before I believe it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I speculated a low number knowing he had said he loved it here, and my number got scoffed at. I cannot remember the number but it was close to 5. Sign the deal and go ahead and pin a letter on him. A for effort is a good start.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
The only outliers would be Kuzya and Orlov. I personally think Orlov wants to get paid.

Regardless, if they could keep those 3 Cheap and unload Orpik...they could make another run, force the "window" open another year, but I'm not sure what they'd be looking to top depth wise.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
After a report that he’s close to re-signing with the Capitals, TJ Oshie and wife Lauren jetted off to Turks and Caicos. According to Instagram, they are vacationing with fellow unrestricted free agent Kevin Shattenkirk and his girlfriend Deanna.
The two couples arrived at the Gansevoort Resort on Sunday. They were quick to post about it on Instagram.

Weird coincidence on this. Now he leaves for vacation after the reports came out

https://www.russianmachineneverbrea...s-with-kevin-shattenkirk-in-turks-and-caicos/

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Give Oshie an A.

Orpik shouldn't be wearing it next season.

PS: If Oshie actually signs close to that... I think things aren't that awful in the locker room after all. There is a hope.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Any chance he convinces rogain to resign for less than market value?

Shattenkirk made two things pretty clear.

#1 He wants to make bank.

#2 He did not really enjoy his time here.

He clearly doesn't fit our system or whatever, someone will overpay him, it won't be us.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Give Oshie an A.

Orpik shouldn't be wearing it next season.

PS: If Oshie actually signs close to that... I think things aren't that awful in the locker room after all. There is a hope.

Honestly if Oshie signs for under $6 million give that man the C. He puts everything he has out on the ice and then he goes and takes a huge pay cut because he wants to win? That's ****ing leadership.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Honestly if Oshie signs for under $6 million give that man the C. He puts everything he has out on the ice and then he goes and takes a huge pay cut because he wants to win? That's ****ing leadership.

As long as Ovi is here he's the C. That isn't changing.

Ovi is a proud hockey player who played hurt this year. I expect him to come back in his Rocket winning ways.

When was the last time Ovi had this much off time where he wasn't just going across the world to play more? A half decade? The rest will be good for him - especially now that he has aged a bit.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Shattenkirk made two things pretty clear.

#1 He wants to make bank.

#2 He did not really enjoy his time here.

He clearly doesn't fit our system or whatever, someone will overpay him, it won't be us.

Shattenkirk actually made one thing clear: he wants to challenge himself and prove that he can be a #1 defenseman. That's what he's said publicly multiple times. He never said a word about not liking it here (he actually said the opposite on multiple occasions) and also never said he only wants to make bank (he reportedly vetoed a trade to TBL that would have netted him 7x7). Where are you getting this info, or just making it up?

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Give vegas picks for taking Orpik and sign shattenpants to 5.5 million orpik was making? People soured on him for the playoffs because he didn't do amazing, myself included. But our defense would actually be bareable next season with him.

Niskanen Shattenkirk
Carlson Orlov
Schmidt Djoos

All for less than last year and arguably not any worse with the performance we got from Alzner and Orpik last year. Apologies if the d aren't on their preferred sides I don't follow that detail closely.

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
Give vegas picks for taking Orpik and sign shattenpants to 5.5 million orpik was making? People soured on him for the playoffs because he didn't do amazing, myself included. But our defense would actually be bareable next season with him.

Niskanen Shattenkirk
Carlson Orlov
Schmidt Djoos

All for less than last year and arguably not any worse with the performance we got from Alzner and Orpik last year. Apologies if the d aren't on their preferred sides I don't follow that detail closely.

I believe St Louis' defense got better when they traded him. I can live without him and I'd much rather have Alzner and money left over.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Shattenkirk actually made one thing clear: he wants to challenge himself and prove that he can be a #1 defenseman. That's what he's said publicly multiple times. He never said a word about not liking it here (he actually said the opposite on multiple occasions) and also never said he only wants to make bank (he reportedly vetoed a trade to TBL that would have netted him 7x7). Where are you getting this info, or just making it up?

I thought I read the 7x7 was another unnamed suitor.

You don't think he wants to maximize his earnings when it's his one chance at his big UFA deal? Seems like a very fair assumption.

Him not liking it here, I doubt, but if he wants to be a number 1, this doesn't seem like the best opportunity for him. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'd be surprised if the Caps are even seriously considering him right now. At best, I think they'll monitor the situation on day 1 and see what his offers are.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I believe St Louis' defense got better when they traded him. I can live without him and I'd much rather have Alzner and money left over.

Their defense didn't really get better, rather Jake Allen did. Remember when the Capitals shelled him in STL? He was almost on his way out of St. Louis at that point, but then his game turned around and he eventually put up a brilliant series against the Wild. Almost all of the Blues' improved goals against numbers can be explained by improved goaltending. The possession numbers remained relatively constant after Shattenkirk left and the blue line as a whole didn't improve at all. What Shattenkirk leaving did do was it neutered the Blues' power play.

I'm not saying the Capitals should re-sign Shattenkirk because I don't really think he's a #1 on a contender and he's quoted as wanting to be a #1. But talk of the Blues being better without him is kind of crazy. Honestly the Devils seem like a great destination for him because their PP and blue line both stink, they can afford him, it's close to NYC (where he's rumored to want to be near), and he'd immediately become a #1 there.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I thought I read the 7x7 was another unnamed suitor.

You don't think he wants to maximize his earnings when it's his one chance at his big UFA deal? Seems like a very fair assumption.

Him not liking it here, I doubt, but if he wants to be a number 1, this doesn't seem like the best opportunity for him. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'd be surprised if the Caps are even seriously considering him right now. At best, I think they'll monitor the situation on day 1 and see what his offers are.

Just looked it up. Bobby Mac reported that KS22 turned down a 7 year, $42mm deal from Tampa. Reasons unknown as to why. What I was challenging is the assumption that TDM said Shattenkirk made two things very clear, one of which being he wanted to make bank. My question is where did he make that clear? Turning down $42mm guaranteed is turning down a lot of cheddar.

I also agree re: this not being the best opportunity for him. All I was saying is that I don't think either of the assertions TDM made were true.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

The Blues defense didn't get better when we traded Shattenkirk, and our offensive game certainly suffered in the postseason. A big part of the reason we lost to Nashville because of the sheer number of injuries we had and the fact we had absolutely nothing on the PP, because we didn't have Shattenkirk.

The Blues defense got far better in the second half because we fired Hitchcock. Up until the start of this season the Blues ran a zone system on defense, this season Hitch switched to a man-to-man system. Hitch got fired, Yeo comes in and immediately reverts back to a layered zone system and suddenly we were forcing opponents to the perimeter, not seeing constant odd man rushes against, looking really solid defensively and Allen going on a tear.

There was a month between Yeo coming in and Shattenkirk getting traded, and that is when the defensive improvements happened.

Having said all that... Shattenkirk has got lazy on defense in recent seasons. He used to be a solid #3 guy defensively as well, the last 2 seasons he has played some pathetic hockey in his own end.

Just looked it up. Bobby Mac reported that KS22 turned down a 7 year, $42mm deal from Tampa. Reasons unknown as to why. What I was challenging is the assumption that TDM said Shattenkirk made two things very clear, one of which being he wanted to make bank. My question is where did he make that clear? Turning down $42mm guaranteed is turning down a lot of cheddar.

I also agree re: this not being the best opportunity for him. All I was saying is that I don't think either of the assertions TDM made were true.

The talk is that it is more about role than money; he wants to be the #1 guy on a team. Which is pretty crazy, if true.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Only 525k per more than Goligoski got last year from a bad team. He seems to want to go home and play for the Rangers, so maybe for them he takes less. Seems like he feels confident he'll get what he's earned come July 1 and there was no compelling reason for him to sign in Tampa or wherever else he told the Blues no thanks to. I can't see him leaving 1.5 mil per for 6-7 years on the table, but maybe he will.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The talk is that it is more about role than money; he wants to be the #1 guy on a team. Which is pretty crazy, if true.

Right, that's what I'm saying. Shattenkirk wants to prove he's a number #1, or at least have the opportunity to do. No where has he said that he wants to make bank or that he didn't enjoy DC.

All that said, I think there's roughly a 0% chance he resigns here unless there are some major roster moves. We can't pay him and he's the 3RD as it stands today.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

His exit interview. There's a bit of reading between the lines, but it's not a huge leap.

The first thing the started talking about was how excited he was for free agency, his language seemed to draw a clear delineation between him and the team by referring to them several times as if he was not a part of them, "these guys", etc., spoke about how the team had a mental blockage, and then the fact that he seemed bitter about his role as a third line pairing here. The specific reference to a top line pairing former Trotz guy seemed a bit on the nose.

These are things that if they happen in a interview can be brushed off, but these all happened in a single interview. I don't slight the guy for wanting to leave, I just think it's clear as day he did not enjoy his time here. It was clear from day 1 that he was angling for New York and he always wanted New York.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

He is aware that New York (his desired locale) will likely pay him. Why agree to go to a place you don't want when you can receive a comparable paycheck and be able to hand pick the team? Also not signing on at the TDL isn't an indication of not wanting to maximize your deal, that's a guy likely realizing there are multiple benefits to going to a #1 seed and waiting until he's a UFA to sign a deal.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Turning down the trade to Tampa only says that he didn't want to play in Tampa long term. That feeds nicely into his reported desire to play for the Rangers.

After the trade he commented that for him to stay that players would have to leave to make that possible and that's not his place to talk about it. That could only refer to Orpik and Alzner but as he has followed that with comments about being a number 1 defenseman and that he was not going to play ahead of either Niskanen or Carlson, you would think he was talking about them.

Meanwhile he showed nothing in his time with the Capitals that he was able to challenge either of those two for ice time. Consider than Schmidt was a dynamic figures at times in the playoffs at both ends of the ice. Shattenkirk did nothing like that and he is supposed to be just that. Dynamic.

He doesn't want to return and if he did I am pretty sure the Caps wouldn't want him back. They sure as hell wouldn't prefer him over Carlson or Niskanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad