Rumor: Caps and Oshie deal "All but done"

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Yeah, I do feel like signing him before the ED is kinda stupid. Why not get him to sign afterwards so we don't have to protect him...?

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
Yeah, I do feel like signing him before the ED is kinda stupid. Why not get him to sign afterwards so we don't have to protect him...?

Unless Oshie doesn't want to wait just in case (god for bid) he gets in a career ending car wreck or something over the next month.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Drawer deals are technically against the rules. It was a big subject at GM meetings, so a deal with Oshie being "all but done" now but not made official until after the expansion draft could cost the Caps a sizable fine and a first-round pick.

For every GM and owner out there that might be willing to play fast and loose with expansion rules, there's other GMs and owners that are sticklers. So trying to get deals like that by the league's smell test will be risky.

I don't think signing Oshie is really a concern anyway. We can protect 7 forwards. Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, MoJo, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Wilson. Who are you sweating losing? Vrana isn't eligible and they'd be doing us a favor taking Eller. Williams and Winnik are gone.

I'd miss Beagle, but let's be real. If Vegas doesn't take Grubauer or Schmidt, they're nucking futs. We don't have to protect Beagle. Protecting Oshie isn't a problem.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I can see him and Kuz signing nearly identical contracts.

Orpiks and Ellers contracts HAVE to go

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I find it strange Oshie is still in the area. He usually rushes straight back to Minnesota. Like it or not, perhaps he is staying in the area for an announcement with GMBM.

I saw on Twitter he played golf with Steve Czaban yesterday.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There's a Twitter rumor that it's 3 years at 5 mil per

Would be stunning. What next, Alzner at 3 for $4 per?

Hmmm...getting a bunch of guys to come back for less than market value in order to keep the band together and go for the Cup might actually be a pretty powerful motivator and could unify the locker room. Unless someone gets resentful of any other player not living up to a big contract...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad