GDT: Caps and Nucks 1:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Brutal. Just eat the puck in the corner.

Ah well, for the better anyway. At least they’re playing hard and fun to watch. That, and it’s nice to have Ovi goals back.
Don't watch a ton of cap games but that was a hell of a game. Due to the amount of shit other teams fans spew I didn't expect much but if the last two games are any representative, you guys are a lot better than given credit for. Cheers.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
You don’t hand a guy the amount Wilson got to be a heart and soul guy. You give him that because he is a heart and soul guy AND a 25 goal 55 point guy.
Yes you do. Sure, he is not scoring much now but he has a nack for timely goals and is regularly one of our top scorers. And then the heart and soul. No issue with his contract or his play.

• Haha
Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
View attachment 818168

3 points in his last 22 games for Wilson.

7 more years!
You know Wilson in the offseason was coming off a major injury that required surgery?!These guys are Professional Hockey Players, but you just don't know how long full recovery really takes(that includes getting back into an grueling 82 game regular season after going through a challenging length of time with rehab).

Tweeby, you really are hind sighted by basing your analysis of Wilson on his statistics. This 22 game stretch does not reflect his whole career to this point. He came into the NHL as a 4th line checker/fighter who played too much over the edge, but with good development he became a power forward who has good speed for a big guy and plays in all situations, while still being a productive player offensively. Wilson also was an integral part the of team winning the Cup and he has good leadership qualities.

You have a board history of showing your dislike for Wilson and I'm not sure why. If you want to get on a Caps players case because of his somewhat lengthy contract, then Kuzy is your guy to dislike! I would by far give Tom Wilson types their contract(what he received currently) than deal with paying a lot of money to a player like Kuzy, who doesn't want to commit to being engaged in team concept and game!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Just have a question for all the complainers still out there who constantly egg the Caps for being too old and slow. How do you justify the Caps outplaying the Bruins(shutting them out in their own building) and going toe to toe with the Canucks till 5 secs left in OT from a young players learning mistake, on back2back nights?

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I know Ovie has become a liability 3 on 3 in OT but ballsy none the less for Carberry a 1st year coach to keep him off the ice.
It's easy to see where Carberry's decision comes from, but I really feel he sometimes tries too hard (judging from his interview on this matter). Trying to set Ovechkin up for some perfect shift and playing McMichael (who has 35 career NHL points and is anything but a shutdown forward) instead seems like missing forest for the trees.
Same for playing the 4th line so much: yeah, they are doing their job well, but playing Beck Malenstyn as much as Ovechkin on ES is how you end up with a team with the fewest goals in the conference.
Wilson has been all over the place the last cpl games, throwing hits, PK'ing, and scrumming it up
IOW, Being a leader.
Yeah, the problem is that's a performance of a good 4th liner, not a 45 million dollar man.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Appreciate the last two games including this one they played hard and seemed to be playing more cohesive. Learning moment in OT for McM he won't forget that. AO goal and half a tank game starts a new streak.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
You know Wilson in the offseason was coming off a major injury that required surgery?!These guys are Professional Hockey Players, but you just don't know how long full recovery really takes(that includes getting back into an grueling 82 game regular season after going through a challenging length of time with rehab).

Tweeby, you really are hind sighted by basing your analysis of Wilson on his statistics. This 22 game stretch does not reflect his whole career to this point. He came into the NHL as a 4th line checker/fighter who played too much over the edge, but with good development he became a power forward who has good speed for a big guy and plays in all situations, while still being a productive player offensively. Wilson also was an integral part the of team winning the Cup and he has good leadership qualities.

You have a board history of showing your dislike for Wilson and I'm not sure why. If you want to get on a Caps players case because of his somewhat lengthy contract, then Kuzy is your guy to dislike! I would by far give Tom Wilson types their contract(what he received currently) than deal with paying a lot of money to a player like Kuzy, who doesn't want to commit to being engaged in team concept and game!

It's been 22 months since he's been injured. How much longer does he get before results are to be expected?

Wilson was a very good player several years ago but paying for past performance is pretty foolish given the alternative would have been to cash in on a highly valuable trade chip for a team that needs a serious injection of offensive talent. This management group has shown aptitude getting good bottom six players for cheap. They didn't need to pay $45.5 million for one.

Kuznetsov's contract has been a problem for a few years, but at least he was re-signed because the team was close and they felt he could push the team over the top. And he did! Without that contract the Capitals probably would not have won the Cup! The contract was an overwhelming success!

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
If we had a Top-10 Top-20 Top-25 offense at all these arguments against Wilson could hold a little water

In those 22 gms Caps scored a whopping 51 goals, 15 goals below league average
This management group has shown aptitude getting good bottom six players for cheap. They didn't need to pay $45.5 million for one.
Bottom 6 Tommy
:lol:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Just have a question for all the complainers still out there who constantly egg the Caps for being too old and slow. How do you justify the Caps outplaying the Bruins(shutting them out in their own building) and going toe to toe with the Canucks till 5 secs left in OT from a young players learning mistake, on back2back nights?

The Caps played two solid games. For sure. If they played like that the whole season, they'd be in a playoff spot.

Unfortunately many of the previous games were le bad.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Appreciate the last two games including this one they played hard and seemed to be playing more cohesive. Learning moment in OT for McM he won't forget that.

Connor McMichael is a full blown bust. 17 points in 49 games and he's been given a reasonable amount of minutes given his low production.

He's 23 now. He ought to be near the top of what he'll ultimately become. And if this is it, then damn.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If we had a Top-10 Top-20 Top-25 offense at all these arguments against Wilson could hold a little water

In those 22 gms Caps scored a whopping 51 goals, 15 goals below league average

Bottom 6 Tommy
:lol:

Shouldn't their 1RW hold some blame for the team struggling to score?

The only Capitals forward Wilson is outscoring on a rate basis at 5v5 is TJ Oshie. Out of 270 qualified forwards in the NHL, Tom Wilson ranks 258th in 5v5 scoring on a rate basis.

So yeah I think calling him a bottom sixer is appropriate right now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

The only Capitals forward Wilson is outscoring on a rate basis at 5v5 is TJ Oshie. Out of 270 qualified forwards in the NHL, Tom Wilson ranks 258th in 5v5 scoring on a rate basis.

No…he’s never been a big play driver and you know this. Stick him with a great C though and he’ll produce and bring other things.

On pace for 20g, assists down because of the defensive system and we don’t score a lot as a team. Blame the system and roster….

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Wilson -- the "bottom 6'er" who, in the last 5 seasons, had 3 20g seasons and would've hit 20 the other 2 "on a rate basis"...

and this season with his slump is still rating to a 20g season (12g in 50gms)

Seems like an inordinate amount of scorn for a player who is largely consistent
Isn't it weird how some players look worse coming off major surgeries? Next we're gonna see Wilson decline as he enters his 30s, as all power forwards do.

If only Wilson had a year left on his contract before we had to extend him.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC

He has not been good. I don't know what is going on with him. He doesn't even play with the flow of the game anymore. He is totally lost. And, he has reverted back to his first couple of years in the league where he is constantly falling down, gets pushed down, tiny hits bring him down, etc.

I wish he would play aggressively and be himself. He is of very little use to the Capitals at this point and time, except on the penalty kill. Very expensive PK man

Reactions: PlushMinus

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Connor McMichael is a full blown bust. 17 points in 49 games and he's been given a reasonable amount of minutes given his low production.

He's 23 now. He ought to be near the top of what he'll ultimately become. And if this is it, then damn.

I mean, given how many goals/points the rest of the players on the team have, isn't everyone not named Strome a 'bust' this year?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Oshie has been decent after coming back from injury. Prior to that he was exceptionally bad.

Wilson has been just plain bad across the board - a complete dead end for offense.

Wilson was never going to be the goal generator on the line. His best fit was as a guy who battled along the boards, brought a forecheck, and played responsible defense. I don't know that he's doing any of those things at this point.

Reactions: PlushMinus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad