Caps 2015 Pre-Draft Talk

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Langway/various scouting reports have sold me on Gurianov. I also like what I've heard about White, Eriksson-Ek, and Harkins.

Please, just stay away from Paul Bittner. That's gotta be one of the worst names I have ever heard in a draft. I would rather them take Samsonov with the 22nd instead of Bittner, just because of that name. Terrible.

The Consiglieri

Feb 19, 2007
We'll see. I wouldn't say it's a total lock...I'd just plan as though that's likely to be the case. The only European in that group that could maybe slide is Meier and he's played in the Q for two years so it's less of a factor. In the past maybe one of Konecny or Merkley could slide but size is less of a factor than ever.

The breakdowns are tiers more than anything. The labels are just whatever. (There are tiers within that first group as well but for the Caps that's kind of irrelevant.)

Actually, I'd co-sign on the idea that hockey drafts, kind of like baseball, are the drafts where general mocks are the least useful, probably because like in baseball, the players are very young (in baseball, some are prep, some aren't), and as they're 18 year olds, draft boards are going to look very different so that when you get the basic consensus board which is typically based on reportage by insiders, that's really just the median expectation of where players could go, more accurate the higher you go, but then descending into chaos as teams have distinctly different scouting evals of players, organizational philosophies etc.

Seems like every year, if you pick at the bottom of the top 10, you'll get a guy top 4-8 at 10. Somebody will fall, if you pick at 20, you can probably find a guy ranked inside the top 10-12, at 30, you should be able to get a guy rated in the teens, if you want him.

When you have baseball, where players are from high school, and three separate tiers of college, and the league has illegally set up a cap on players (at least I think its illegal), its totally understandable why teams will have distinctly different draft boards, and I think with hockey it makes perfectly reasonable sense that with European and North American players, you're going to have dinstinctly different draft boards. Seems like every year there's a guy, or two that all of us are screaming for when we pick precisely because we've read everywhere that that guy should have gone several picks before. Hopefully this year we get another one of them :).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Can anyone tell me where Mckeens has Bittner rated? (looking at you Marsh)

Again, not saying that top 15 is a 100% lock. It won't be in that order and I don't doubt there will be others that wind up going top 15. I'd just be surprised if any of them fall the additional six picks to Washington (pleasantly so). That's mainly what the exercise was about...the differing scenarios and what the bare minimum sort of availability could be. It's part prediction but more a guide to get a sense of the value that pick can hold at worst.

Baseball has the whole insane slotting system that influences decisions and the variables of longer-term HSers vs. more polished college players and signability. It's a whole different ballgame in complexity IMO.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
Whl's the only league I really watch, just going to say if the pick is Bittner I don't see it whatsoever with that guy

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
If we go winger from WHL, pick Debrusk. Not a fan of Bittner

I haven't watched any of the other leagues other than WJC but strictly WHL none of the options of players really excite me at all. Really players that I've never even seen but only read about excite me way more than any of the WHL players that will be in the Caps wheelhouse

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
My preference of order of players who might be available is:
Gurianov
White
Merkley
Svechnikov
Harkins
Eriksson-Ek

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
GMBM conference call.

- two or three players with good upside likely to be at 22
- avoided concerns with no defensemen being taken in first round since '08 by emphasizing BPA/upside
- more than likely making the pick, would need an impact player coming back in a deal
- they evaluate and project three to four years down the line

Mahoney interview.

- earlier on a strong draft for centers and defensemen
- all things being totally equal maybe need comes into consideration, otherwise BPA
- smaller, faster players have more of a chance now

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
If that's the case why wouldn't we see Vrana on the roster this season, it didn't seem to hurt Bura.

Well that seems to be the organization's answer the past, what, 10+ years. Integrate young players and hope they can learn on the fly(especially in the playoffs).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If that's the case why wouldn't we see Vrana on the roster this season, it didn't seem to hurt Bura.
Burakovsky is bigger, faster and more agile. No need to rush Vrana or anyone else. He still has some developing to do in some areas to meet the bare minimum NHL level standards in order to put his skill level front and center. He'll get a chance to take someone's spot but he won't have a spot cleared for him yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad