GDT: Caps 2013 World Juniors Thread

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
But yeah, Rakell and Karlsson haven't been lights out.. we'll see if they mix up the lines a bit.
Wennberg & de la Rose would be solid fits IMO as that would balance out their lines better. Forsberg will create chances for himself regardless of linemates. Wennberg has had a bit of a better jump overall compared to Karlsson and dlR at least brings size and two-way play. Much like the rest of the team, FF got worse as the game went as the Swiss did a good job of keeping them largely to the outside.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Thing about Nichushkin is he apparently according to the TSN commentators, has 2 years left on his contract after this year.

In other words, he reneged on going to the CHL and signed a 3 year contract. He really wanted to fall in the draft I guess.
Don't understand these concerns much. Contract or not, players rarely cross the pond right away, be it Russians, Swedes or anyone else. Actually the most successful Russians so far are the ones that didn't rush with it (Kovalchuk is an exception but he is a big fella who went through playing against men in the VHL before coming over). And I don't remember high pick from Russia that didn't come over (well, that might start with Kuznetsov, but I don't think so).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Just watched a replay of the USA-Russia game. Barber seemed to be involved a fair bit, but his line wasn't able to create much sustained pressure. Did a good job in front of the net on Trouba's goal, and was above average along the boards. Generally was in the right place at the right time, but wasn't really a difference maker.

Seth Jones was great when he had the puck on his stick, but had some awful reads in the defensive and neutral zone. The Russians blew by him on more than one occasion. Was not one of his better games, really struggled at keeping the play in front of him. But he's just such a dynamic player who you really notice every time he's on the ice.

I thought Galchenyuk played well, but was hardly utilized in the 3rd period. Should have been more ice time. And if he had a better center than Kuraly (who was more or less invisible for most of the game), it would really help.

Yakupov didn't play very well. He was definitely giving it 100%, diving to block shots and everything, but his creativity was lacking and he was hogging the puck and jumping out of the defensively zone early. Even when diving to block shots, he was doing it in weird positions and when there were better defensive plays to be taken.

Grimaldi was somewhat similar to Yakupov, in the respect he would hold onto the puck a lot and try to do everything himself. If he simplified his game a bit, he might see better results. He's definitely a dynamic player, but he needs to take what the defense gives him sometimes.

Really liked Nichushkin and Gostibehere as well.

e; Forgot to mention Hartman. Thought he was the best US player out there. Kid was everywhere, and constantly making things happen. Pity neither of his linemates were useful.

Last edited:

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Just watched a replay of the USA-Russia game. Barber seemed to be involved a fair bit, but his line wasn't able to create much sustained pressure. Did a good job in front of the net on Trouba's goal, and was above average along the boards. Generally was in the right place at the right time, but wasn't really a difference maker.

Seth Jones was great when he had the puck on his stick, but had some awful reads in the defensive and neutral zone. The Russians blew by him on more than one occasion. Was not one of his better games, really struggled at keeping the play in front of him. But he's just such a dynamic player who you really notice every time he's on the ice.

I thought Galchenyuk played well, but was hardly utilized in the 3rd period. Should have been more ice time. And if he had a better center than Kuraly (who was more or less invisible for most of the game), it would really help.

Yakupov didn't play very well. He was definitely giving it 100%, diving to block shots and everything, but his creativity was lacking and he was hogging the puck and jumping out of the defensively zone early. Even when diving to block shots, he was doing it in weird positions and when there were better defensive plays to be taken.

Grimaldi was somewhat similar to Yakupov, in the respect he would hold onto the puck a lot and try to do everything himself. If he simplified his game a bit, he might see better results. He's definitely a dynamic player, but he needs to take what the defense gives him sometimes.

Really liked Nichushkin and Gostibehere as well.

Thats nice. Now back to our regularly scheduled "Forsberg Watch"

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Don't understand these concerns much. Contract or not, players rarely cross the pond right away, be it Russians, Swedes or anyone else. Actually the most successful Russians so far are the ones that didn't rush with it (Kovalchuk is an exception but he is a big fella who went through playing against men in the VHL before coming over). And I don't remember high pick from Russia that didn't come over (well, that might start with Kuznetsov, but I don't think so).

Well Traktor is a poor team, they aren't keeping Kuznetsov and the way they have treated him and the way he talks about Chelyabinsk, no way will he ever sign some where else.

Nichushkin will of course hurt his draft stock by saying he wants to go to the CHL and reneging and signing a 3 year deal. Do I think its enough for the Capitals to pass him up? No.

Though it seems they bought into the anti-Grigorenko crap, so maybe they will pass up on him too. I don't know, but the Capitals have a lot of talent and he probably is best staying in Russia for 2 years if the Caps do draft him.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
2 assist for Forsberg.

Anyways watched Sweden vs Switzerland game, watched Forsberg, besides a really stupid jam attempt from behind the net that ended up going down the ice for a goal against, I saw nothing wrong with his game, in fact it was great.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe not at 2 but he shouldn't slip much further. 3-5 should be a lock unless he really struggles in the WHL playoffs. I'd still take him over Lindholm but Drouin & Barkov would be tougher calls.

While on draft-eligibles, Wennberg has been really impressive. He makes for a strong 20-30 range possibility.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Seth Jones has struggled in these games so far.

Seems like one of the impressive athletic and skilled dman that can seduce the eyes when one sees them make an impressive isolated play. Don't see him imposing his will upon the game with the tool set he has. Sort of see some JBo in him.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Maybe not at 2 but he shouldn't slip much further. 3-5 should be a lock unless he really struggles in the WHL playoffs. I'd still take him over Lindholm but Drouin & Barkov would be tougher calls.

While on draft-eligibles, Wennberg has been really impressive. He makes for a strong 20-30 range possibility.

Yeah he's a lock there, and its why I'd stay away. Hard to "fix" dumb. Those seam passes are a beauty when they work... But if its 1 for 5.... That's 4 blown opportunities.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Sweden beats Finland 7-3

Forsberg had a goal, Djoos had 2 assists (including one on the Forsberg goal)

Barber pointless in a 9-3 against Slovakia

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Canada beats Russia 4-1 so Canada & Sweden win their groups.

QF1: USA vs. Czech Republic (winner plays Canada)
QF2: Russia vs. Switzerland (winner plays Sweden)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad