GDT: Caps 2013 World Juniors Thread

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ice, sticks, a puck. What a concept.

Tom Wilson was cut from Canada's final roster while Riley Barber appears to be a shoo-in to make Team USA. Christian Djoos is trying to join Filip Forsberg on the defending champion Swedish team.

Relevant pre-tourney games:

12/20 12:30pm USA/SWE
12/22 630am FIN/USA
12/22 9am CAN/SWE

Round robin:

12/26 7am CZE/SWE
12/27 9am USA/GER
12/28 7am SWE/SUI
12/28 9am RUS/USA
12/29 7am LAT/SWE
12/30 430a CAN/USA
12/31 5am USA/SVK
12/31 7am SWE/FIN

Full tournament schedule here.

Team USA pre-tourney and tournament games will be aired on NHL Network live and NHL.com will stream all Team USA tournament games (though seemingly only for those in the US). None of Sweden's RR games are scheduled on NHL Network but surely streams will be available, beginning with the CAN/SWE pre-tourney game Saturday. European coverage listed here.

Higher profile draft-eligible players include:

CAN: C Nathan MacKinnon & F Jonathan Drouin
FIN: C Aleksander Barkov, W Artturi Lehkonen & D Rasmus Ristolainen
RUS: W Valeri Nichushkin
SWE: F Jacob de la Rose, C Elias Lindholm, RW Nick Sorensen, F Alexander Wennberg
USA: D Seth Jones & likely RW Ryan Hartman

IkeaMonkey*

Do we have any Russians in this thing for Liberation to obsess over?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Love this time of year when the World Juniors come around. Would have been nice if Wilson had stuck with Canada but with the lock out and iihf reffing I can see the reasoning.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
nice to see forsberg with the C, nice that we draft a lot of C's in the world juniors :)

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Rakell/Forsberg is going to be a fun pair to watch throughout the tournament (if they end up together).

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
How'd Djoos look?

Only heard his name a few times. Thought de la Rose looked good, esp on the PK. What's his story, doesn't sound Swedish?

:laugh: Bobby Mac

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/281839995101274113

Pre-emptive strike: I'm not sharpest knife in drawer but I'm Mensa compared to those who will complain if I live tweet WJC game they PVRed.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/281841253883191297

If you PVR game and go on Twitter before you watch said game, then complain about learning result, nothing we can do for you. Beyond help.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Jacob de la Rose is one of Forsberg's teammates on Leksand. He was born in Sweden and both of his parents are Swedish, despite the French surname. 2013 draft eligible. Was projected by some to go in the 1st round, but his stock is slipping due to his lack of scoring (playing mostly on the 4th line in Leksand).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Barber's best shifts were on the PP but he's going to have to find more of a 5-on-5 fit Saturday. I'm not sure he pushes the pace enough for their liking whereas a bubble guy like Vesey did a better job of it. With one tune-up game left I'd guess it may be down to Matteau, Barber or Biggs as the last forward cut and Barber lacks the physicality of those two.

Djoos didn't seem to play all that much. Other Swedish D stood out more for the wrong reasons but they also played a lot more.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Watching the highlights of Canada vs Finland on TSN, Canadians already on to the whole "these weak European calls," crap.

The difference of course being is that the IIHF refs call trips and hooks every time vs random times like they do in the NHL.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Barber's best shifts were on the PP but he's going to have to find more of a 5-on-5 fit Saturday. I'm not sure he pushes the pace enough for their liking whereas a bubble guy like Vesey did a better job of it. With one tune-up game left I'd guess it may be down to Matteau, Barber or Biggs as the last forward cut and Barber lacks the physicality of those two.

Djoos didn't seem to play all that much. Other Swedish D stood out more for the wrong reasons but they also played a lot more.

Djoos actually played far more minutes than anyone on the team according to this:

http://bigdata.lahtis-enterprises.com/mem/?cha=2c847eba97e28b8714d0f12618099732

Not sure if these icetimes are correct though. Djoos played like he does in the SEL, completely invisible, in a good way. He is very calm and rarely makes huge mistakes unlike many other D of his age. His offensive game will come with more experience because he has those qualities as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad