Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Wild-Caps visit BB's new house

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
So upon further inspection of the rulebook I think it should have been whistled as offside. The rulebook states:

If, during the course of the delayed off-side, any member of the attacking team touches the puck, attempts to gain possession of a loose puck, forces the defending puck carrier further back into his own zone, or who is about to make physical contact with the defending puck carrier, the Linesman shall stop play for the off-side violation

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/downloads/2016-17_RuleBook.pdf

I think the bolded should have been the reason why it was whistled down because while the Wild may not have touched the puck in an offside position, the player probably had possession or at the very least attempted to gain possession of a loose puck before the other player cleared the zone. I can't see an interpretation where he gave up possession without attempting to gain it (i.e. a 3 foot dump in).

bags92

Jan 2, 2010
Rochester, New York
He had possession of the puck. I remember an OT goal last year (I think) where the play was deemed onside because Kuznetsov had possession despite the puck not being on his stick. Not sure why they are ignoring precedent.

Not even mad at that though, the Wild deserved that goal. Not a good game at all outside of the top line + Johansson.

Yep, I remember this as well it was definitely Kuznetsov.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Spurgeon lifts his stick and lets it slid for a few feet before even playing it again. As the league has shown over many offsides challenges already, that's just a great play by Spurgeon. As for Kuznetsov's goal it seems puck possession is determined by the player carrying the puck, Spurgeon made an effort to stop touching the puck while Kuznetsov was just protecting the puck or stickhandling, whatever it was.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
he's not touching the puck dude.

The question is this; what exactly is considered control of the puck? Is a 3 inch tap to yourself not considered control of the puck? If that is the case, then it's not offsides. That is the only explanation I can think of for why the NHL would call that a good goal. It's like a dump in I guess.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Basically I think the conclusion that should be drawn from all of this is get rid of the offside review.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Spurgeon lifts his stick and lets it slid for a few feet before even playing it again. As the league has shown over many offsides challenges already, that's just a great play by Spurgeon. As for Kuznetsov's goal it seems puck possession is determined by the player carrying the puck, Spurgeon made an effort to stop touching the puck while Kuznetsov was just protecting the puck or stickhandling, whatever it was.
Yep. Something very similar happened last Friday in the PIT/NYI game:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Okay at 3:20 of video, spurgeon has it outside the blue line and taps it over; during that time he is hovering over the puck and waiting for the other Wild player to touch up. Because he brought it into zone and he is literally less then a foot from the puck isn't that still possession?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
To me the Isles were offside too. I don't consider that a dump, that was a controlled puck movement as he was entering the zone, so the other guy shouldn't have been able to get back onside.

Of course this would force the NHL to define when a chip to yourself becomes a dump, and the last thing we want is the nhl making more rules.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
2 comcerns...secondary scoring has dried up. This must be corrected to win a cup.

2nd concern....and a very big concern...Holtby better get it together or this team is done. He is not in a slump or just average...he is bad. Hopefully the staff realizes this and treats this with urgency...I get the drift that this is just a minor thing.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
2 comcerns...secondary scoring has dried up. This must be corrected to win a cup.

2nd concern....and a very big concern...Holtby better get it together or this team is done. He is not in a slump or just average...he is bad. Hopefully the staff realizes this and treats this with urgency...I get the drift that this is just a minor thing.

1st issue: they had two goals from winnik last game

2nd issue: he has 40 wins, is second in sv% and gaa and leads in shutouts

overall: what?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Backstrom guaranteed to be a point/game player this season. That's nice.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

Okay at 3:20 of video, spurgeon has it outside the blue line and taps it over; during that time he is hovering over the puck and waiting for the other Wild player to touch up. Because he brought it into zone and he is literally less then a foot from the puck isn't that still possession?

I agree 100%. He was in control of the puck even though he wasn't touching it. He collected the pass and guided it into the zone before the wild got back on. Never did he not have control of the puck.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How is Holtby bad? Ok, he could've had the first goal but it was a nice chance from close range for Pominville.

Second goal, the puck was deflected off Orpik, Holtby kicked the puck away but Shattenkirk couldn't clean up the rebound. Third goal was a tennis ball. Fourth goal, the cross-ice pass was off Alzner's boot and right on Staal's tape. No chance for Holtby on these 3 goals.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
Just finished the game (recorded it and started it late).

Thoughts......Wilson :facepalm:

Ovi and Oshie.......:nod: Edit: And not to forget MoJo....

Whatever was bothering Ovi these last few months, hopefully is now resolved. We need THIS Ovi for the PO's.

A bit worried about Holtby lately overall, he hasn't seemed to be at the top of his game for a few weeks now, letting in some softies he normally would stop. Still getting us the wins though, and the team has stepped up, so hopefully he returns to Vezina form soon.

Game was a battle to be sure, glad we came out on top. Hopefully we have an (easier) win tomorrow.

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Holtby is a problem now? This board...

He's not a problem, but you're just being completely obtuse if you think he's been solid the last few games. He's let in a few leaky ones and has just not played up to the high standards he's set in his career.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Yep. Something very similar happened last Friday in the PIT/NYI game:

This is an awful call - even if they claim the puck wasn't under control and so it was delayed offside the guys skate doesn't touch down until after possession is resumed

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Backstrom guaranteed to be a point/game player this season. That's nice.

727 GP
724 PTS

Needs 10 points in 7 games to be PPG in his career at the end of the season.

Ovi generally starts his run for the rocket in january/february. Maybe this year, his run started yesterday and will last until may/june?:hyper:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I had to watch the Wild broadcast. They said in his last 6 starts that Holtby was 1.88 and .940. Last night he gave up a freak goal on a shot that bounced and a rebound after and amazing stop of a double deflection. Holtby is fine.

Ov now has 11pts in last 8gms. Backstrom 15pts in those 8 games. Not worried about them or Oshie.

Kuzy I am worried about. After that hot first game with the adrenaline pump that can go with it, Burakovsky hasn't been that good. Connolly hasn't been good for a stretch now. Eller is a steady force. Burt says his shot is not right. I take him at his word. He's still damaged from the injury.

Just like last season. What makes the Caps unstoppable is Kuznetsov. Without him the Caps are a very good team.

Meanwhile. 6-0-1 since the 4 game losing streak.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't get all the whining about Kuznetsov. He created at least 3 or 4 great scoring chances and drew a penalty that led to Ovi's hat trick.

In his last 12 games he has 2 goals and 1 assist. That's not acceptable if you expect the Caps to go very far in the playoffs. Beagle has 3pts in his last 12.

Last season Kuzy went ice cold for 25 games or more. Did nothing in the playoffs. But there were some here that said he actually was playing fine. His first 20 games this season was more of the same but he broke out and ran 40 games at 42pts. Now suddenly 3pts in 12 games. If he does that in the playoffs, the Caps will struggle.

Quick compare. last 12. Kuzy 3pts, Johansson 9pts, Williams 5pts.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree 100%. He was in control of the puck even though he wasn't touching it. He collected the pass and guided it into the zone before the wild got back on. Never did he not have control of the puck.

This was always my take on those plays and it's only been since the recent Pit/Nyi game that it's hit my radar like this. I didn't agree with the ruling then but I get what they're trying to say. I just don't remember it ever being called that way. Maybe they've always done it like that since touch-up was added, but it only gets attention now because of goal reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad