GDT: Capitals|vs|Rangers|Game 6|4:30pm|msg|5.12.2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Backstrom literally makes no effort to get in a shooting position. Everyone on the ice knows he is going to skate with the puck as long as he is allowed before he tries to force it to Ovechkin. He has been doing it consistently since Game 2.

It's like those misses are haunting him and he is trying to not put himself in those positions again. I've never seen him play like this honestly and it's certainly killing Ovie. He is pretty much regressed back to come in, cut to the middle and shoot style Ovie again and that leaves the first line at 1 and done, which as we know. Barely works in beating Lundqvist.

I want to know what is causing Backstrom all of these shooting problems this year. It's not like Ribeiro where the guy just has no shot -- Backstrom's shot is pretty solid. All year he has been whiffing on shots, tap-ins, one timers, etc. It's bizarre for a player of his caliber to not be able to put the puck on net.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
The refs are the best things to happen to management and the star players. They have already given them an excuse to not answer tough questions focused on their awful performance.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Top line can't draw a PP because they look like they have no fight in them. They don't get greasy. That 3rd line is playing well because they get dirty. They fight for the puck. They forecheck hard. Everything that is missing from the top line.

and yet the 3rd line isn't drawing penalties either. Or so the refs say.

See what the problem is here?

Right now, the first line is getting on the ice and then playing horrid defense. This leads to Backstrom and MoJo tiring themselves out in their own zone while Ovi floats around the blue line. When the Caps finally get the puck, Ovechkin is juiced and ready to go at the blue line while his two linemates that were actually playing defense are tired and can't join him on the rush. This leads to Ovechkin vs McDonagh, Girardi, AND Lundqvist, and results in no goals. The whole line as a unit needs to play better defense, and that will lead to offense. You can't score with a 90% energy Ovechkin and two tired dogs.

I'm as big of an Ovi supporter as there is, but there's no hiding that his lack of defense is what is causing his lack of offense.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
The refs are the best things to happen to management and the star players. They have already given them an excuse to not answer tough questions focused on their awful performance.

You're right. Nash, Richards and Callahan have been lucky to duck those questions so far.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
and yet the 3rd line isn't drawing penalties either. Or so the refs say.

See what the problem is here?

Right now, the first line is getting on the ice and then playing horrid defense. This leads to Backstrom and MoJo tiring themselves out in their own zone while Ovi floats around the blue line. When the Caps finally get the puck, Ovechkin is juiced and ready to go at the blue line while his two linemates that were actually playing defense are tired and can't join him on the rush. This leads to Ovechkin vs McDonagh, Girardi, AND Lundqvist, and results in no goals. The whole line as a unit needs to play better defense, and that will lead to offense. You can't score with a 90% energy Ovechkin and two tired dogs.

I'm as big of an Ovi supporter as there is, but there's no hiding that his lack of defense is what is causing his lack of offense.

Er. Except they're not even playing solid defense. Ovi was at least slidding down and blocking shots as well.

The problem is Mojo and Nicky can't get it in the zone and if they do they do nothing but pass it to Ovi. They refuse to attempt to finish on their own or even do anything but force feed Ovechkin.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Er. Except they're not even playing solid defense. Ovi was at least slidding down and blocking shots as well.

The problem is Mojo and Nicky can't get it in the zone and if they do they do nothing but pass it to Ovi. They refuse to attempt to finish on their own or even do anything but force feed Ovechkin.

I never said they were playing solid defense. They are TRYING to play solid defense, which in conjunction with them not actually PLAYING solid defense, is keeping the puck in their zone and tiring them out.

I'd say the vast majority of zone entries with that line consists of an energized Ovi and two tired forwards.

Then, when they actually do gain the zone, Mojo doesn't like to shoot and Backstrom can't shoot. For whatever reason, Backstrom whiffs on about 90% of his shots this year. This leads to force feeding Ovechkin. Sure wish we had Semin for that 1LW role right about now...

Ovi's shot blocks were awesome, though.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
You're right. Nash, Richards and Callahan have been lucky to duck those questions so far.
Good old loser mentality logic. Whine about what the other team is getting away instead of asking questions about own team's underperformance, then ***** the next season about GMGM having so much job security.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I never said they were playing solid defense. They are TRYING to play solid defense, which in conjunction with them not actually PLAYING solid defense, is keeping the puck in their zone and tiring them out.

I'd say the vast majority of zone entries with that line consists of an energized Ovi and two tired forwards.

Then, when they actually do gain the zone, Mojo doesn't like to shoot and Backstrom can't shoot. For whatever reason, Backstrom whiffs on about 90% of his shots this year. This leads to force feeding Ovechkin. Sure wish we had Semin for that 1LW role right about now...

Ovi's shot blocks were awesome, though.

I honestly wish they'd try giving Fehr some time up there. I feel like he got the 2nd line clicking and woke Riberio up, maybe he can do the same for Nicky.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I honestly wish they'd try giving Fehr some time up there. I feel like he got the 2nd line clicking and woke Riberio up, maybe he can do the same for Nicky.

Possibly, but Ribeiro is even more pass happy than Backstrom (I was screaming at my TV when he had like a partial breakaway and passed it BACKWARDS to the Rangers), so demoting Mojo to the 2nd line with Ribeiro would be a cluster****.

I'm not a fan of Erat so far, but I think he would work on the first line. Only problem is he's injured.

Another thing that could work is switching Mojo with Mp85. Perreault has been our best forward in the playoffs so far, imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad