Pre-Game Talk: Capitals vs Jets March 21 6:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
That was an absolutely crushing home back-to-back.
So much hope and opportunity, and then...nothing.

Time for redemption

@RickRalphTSN: #NHLJets dream squasher. MT @mremis
Tomorrow is the 2 year anniversary of Wash winning 2 games in a row in Wpg by a combined score of 10-1.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Open-Practice-3-300x200.jpg

Practice audio from Stafford, Myers, Stuart and Scheifele.

To listen click here.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I don't want to see Pavelec in this game. Being bad against a team is one thing, but the last reasonably good game he had against the Caps was in January 2013. After that game, he has played them 7 times, and has allowed:

3 goals
4 goals
6 goals
4 goals
4 (lost in a shootout, so not counting the 5th) goals
4 goals
5 goals

That's 30 goals in 7 games. He averages more than 4 goals allowed against the Capitals in our last 7 games against them.

He has played well. He deserves to play more than Hutchinson. But for the love of all that is good and holy, DO NOT PLAY HIM AGAINST THE CAPS!

Play Pavs & you seriously risk a bad result & him losing his confidence again. Teams get books on goaltenders & Wash obviously has the book on Pavs -- they know how to beat him.

All for playing Pavs while he's hot, but I make an exception on this game.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm curious to see if it is Slater and not O'Dell sitting when Little returns. O'Dell has clearly played better than Slater, and the fourth line has been decent. Slide Little back to the first and Lowry to the third, keeping a decent 4th line intact.

I wouldn't miss Slater's recent rash of penalties or bad play

O'Dell had just over 4 minutes of ice time last night, and Slater had over 14. O'Dell's out when Little returns.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I'm curious to see if it is Slater and not O'Dell sitting when Little returns. O'Dell has clearly played better than Slater, and the fourth line has been decent. Slide Little back to the first and Lowry to the third, keeping a decent 4th line intact.

I wouldn't miss Slater's recent rash of penalties or bad play

They are not going to sit Slater because he's their only "reliable" face-off man. That's why he's forever out there on the PK in our own end doing his best imitation of a pylon

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
O'Dell had just over 4 minutes of ice time last night, and Slater had over 14. O'Dell's out when Little returns.

Geez is that ever pathetic. I guess he doesn't have Postma to send to the doghouse anymore so O'dell will do. Maurice -- obviously smarter than the rest of us!!

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Maurice is smarter than the rest of us, theres no doubt about it actually.

As for who starts, I'd go with PAV, guys on fire and i understand his recent struggles vs Washington but... he's been playing lights out recently. It's also not just PAV who has struggled vs Washington, it's the entire team.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach-Maurice-Friday-scrum-300x205.jpg

Coach Maurice scrum: How/why does he decide to not practice today? What is his biggest challenge with the 11 games that remain on the Jets schedule? On how the players are very even keel today following a big win. Combining desperation within the system he employs. Does the previous games play help with preparation for Washington? Importance of getting win when trailing going into 3rd. Was bottom line that you’ve beaten a really good team?

To listen click here.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Play Pavs & you seriously risk a bad result & him losing his confidence again. Teams get books on goaltenders & Wash obviously has the book on Pavs -- they know how to beat him.

All for playing Pavs while he's hot, but I make an exception on this game.

So you think Washington knows something more than the other teams about Pavs?
I think fans are reading too much into why the Caps have played better against Pavs.

It comes down to Washington being a big strong team like us but having more
offensive punch than us. We have to stay out of the penalty box and catch
Washington on counter attacks with odd man rushes. The Caps love to jump up
into the play.

Last night after the Jets game, I watched the Caps game against the Wild and
the Washington announcers said Barry Trotz said he wouldn't want to face
LA, Minnesota or Winnipeg in the playoffs. Thinks they are teams designed for
the playoffs.

Also side note apparently Eric Fehr is signing his children's book at McNally tonight.

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
I think fans are reading too much into why the Caps have played better against Pavs.

into the play.

the playoffs.

Also side note apparently Eric Fehr is signing his children's book at McNally tonight.

I agree... we need to stay out the box. Everyone remember the steady parade to the penalty box we had in the 2nd period against Washington? I think they scored 3 PPG that period. They are awesome when scoring the first goal... and are quite bad when giving up the 1st goal.

We need to pressure them early and often and work hard to get the 1st goal.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

into the play.

the playoffs.

Props from my Dauphin hometown boy!

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I agree... we need to stay out the box. Everyone remember the steady parade to the penalty box we had in the 2nd period against Washington? I think they scored 3 PPG that period. They are awesome when scoring the first goal... and are quite bad when giving up the 1st goal.

We need to pressure them early and often and work hard to get the 1st goal.

Yep, that killed us that game. Backstrom feasted on us on the PP

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Time for redemption

Tomorrow is the 2 year anniversary of Wash winning 2 games in a row in Wpg by a combined score of 10-1.

Oh god are you serious?

Those 2 losses that year were so crushing.

We need to win.

I guess you could say it's a 'must win' :sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They are not going to sit Slater because he's their only "reliable" face-off man. That's why he's forever out there on the PK in our own end doing his best imitation of a pylon

...except Slater seems to take half of our minor penalties lately.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think Pavs problem with Washington is they like a lot of side-to-side movement, especially on the PP, and he has trouble getting across usually. That's why they're very deadly on the PP against the Jets, because it just gets to Ovi from the other circle.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Time for redemption

Ugh. What a terrible weekend that was.

Think you stick with Pavs here. He is playing lights out. Mo stuck with Hutch while he was hot, so do the same with Pavs.

I cannot believe I just said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad