Post-Game Talk: Capitals vs. Hurricanes. 7:30pm. 10.7.2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I realize Sanford's probably not much of a shootout player, but you'd think they'd put him out there in a pre-season game after the night he had. :(

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Bleh lol ah well, wanted to see sanford in the shootout just because. That said not a bad game for the B team. Loved what I saw of Sanford (again).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Williams out there over a kid trying to win a job was a bit of a head scratcher, Ellar too, but whatev's

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Williams out there over a kid trying to win a job was a bit of a head scratcher, Ellar too, but whatev's

Yeah Trotz should've sent the guys competing for the final spot on the roster, starting with Sanford. He earned it. Instead, he sent his middle 6, including two very good shootout players who have nothing to prove in Kuzy and Burt.

Of the guys competing for the job, Trotz only sent Sanford out for 3vs3. He's already made his choice.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Of the guys competing for the job, Trotz only sent Sanford out for 3vs3. He's already made his choice.
Galiev played, too. Sanford has made it but it's that other reserve spot that's up for grabs.

I wonder if the very strong practice from Thomas that helped him stay, where Trotz said he was their best forward, may also help earn him that spot. That's the sort of intensity the extra forward needs to bring to keep guys sharp/honest and bring up the level of competition generally. Galiev tries and he's bigger but that's not his game.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Sill and Malone almost certainly wouldn't see any 3v3 action if they made the team, and Carey would be pretty darn far down the depth chart. Not sure what you'd expect for Trotz/BM to learn from sending them out in OT. One additional shift doesn't add much to the conversation, especially if it's a shift they would never see in the regular season.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think just due to his size, I think Sanford could be a regular this year. Doubt much beyond a 4th line but I think he can fill in for Beagle their when Beags is asked to play up in the lineup.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Sanford is big, but doesn't play much like a 4th liner. I see him getting top 9 time to start the season, especially if Johansson is still out.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
It's super rare for the organization to not deem every prospect in the pipeline a center(especially one they drafted as a center), they like sanford at wing. Maybe they see him as a finesse "powerforward" type winger. I think he's already made the team it's just about how well he performs once the season starts. If he does well enough and produces just a little he probably fits in a whole lot better than Galiev.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Nah...Sanford isn't trying to win a job. He signed his contract with the idea he had an NHL job. His play has backed that up.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sanford is big, but doesn't play much like a 4th liner. I see him getting top 9 time to start the season, especially if Johansson is still out.

I am not sure that characterization plays out with Trotz. Kuznetsov and Burakovsky skated 4th line his first season. Burakovsky got a lot of 4th line time last season and all of Galiev's time was 4th line. If the slot on the NHL roster is on the 4th, he is going to play there.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Nah...Sanford isn't trying to win a job. He signed his contract with the idea he had an NHL job. His play has backed that up.

It wouldn't have been the first time a player thought they had a job... fact is if anyone clearly outshone him, he may well not be in DC.

Having a guy no one expected to compete with him - Thomas - being his prime competition, doesn't say much for our prospect pool, or the way our players are being used.

It should be noted Williams and Eller will not be shootout guys. And I will also point out, neither scored.

I support him changing to 28. Time to start erasing that memory I suppose.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Carey is still in the system, as long as someone doesn't claim him on waivers his #28 cannot be used. I have to admit though, the goal Sanford scored yesterday reminded me of a guy who used to wear #28 in red a few years ago. Was that ever a beautiful deke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad