Post-Game Talk: Capitals vs Avalanche 9pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think lack of effort is a reasonable interpretation for the words "participation mode", but I'll gladly change tune if it was just a misquote or Trotz misspoke.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Considering Trotz is famous for using the Passenger term, the difference is clear to me.

Wanting more from a player isn’t saying he’s slacking off playing around like it’s a public skate....

Dude needs to produce. When I see him on any line he’s never dominant, he’s just there. Same on the 3rd with guys who are clearly less talented. He just fits in ok....not a death sentence but for a 1st rounder, not overwhelmingly positive.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If effort is not the problem then how is benching going to get a young player to start producing? How about coaching him up on what he needs to do and boosting his confidence to get him going? If he's not doing that then that's a matter of player discipline, not just being a JAG.

Trotz seems to have only one tool in the box: ice time. And that isn't even applied uniformly.

Reactions: twabby

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If effort is not the problem then how is benching going to get a young player to start producing? How about coaching him up on what he needs to do and boosting his confidence to get him going? If he's not doing that then that's a matter of player discipline, not just being a JAG.

Trotz seems to have only one tool in the box: ice time. And that isn't even applied uniformly.

He has the versatility of a sock. It goes on your foot. Never mind that its humid outside.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
The only line on fire, and Trotz decide to change 1 element of this line. :handclap:
I don't think, Connolly will have the same impact as last year with 20 and 43.

And when Bura will come back, Vrana will become #14?? Great:handclap:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm fine with Vrana sitting for a game, he doesn't produce enough. I appreciate his effort but he needs to score. He'll be back in the lineup sooner or later. I'm sure Vrana can get his spot back from Connolly or Walker.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Uh that is not good. Vrana and the third line have been their only consistent source of pressure.

This is Trotz being Trotz and unless something weird is going on in the locker room then this move is asinine. Vrana's on-ice performance has been pretty good.
Vranas on ice performance hasn't been that good. He makes some poor decisions and he is terrible without the puck. I still dont like benching him because we dont have alot of options. Of the young players Trotz really seems to like Stephensons work ethic.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Then Trotz should have mentioned a lack of production rather than a lack of effort. That's the issue I'm having. Do people here really think Vrana isn't trying hard? He's been a part of the most consistent line the team has had over the past 5-10 games.
The 3rd line is playing well this year but that line was better before Vrana was demoted to the 3rd line. That line produced more with Stephenson on the left wing.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Don't you think too many ppl in Caps organization are in participation mode? Starting with Leonsis.

Also, some of them are not good enough in their roles.

Take 9,5M captain also known as elite winger. Is he good enough on the ice? He's trending down.
Is Kuzy good enough as #1 center?
Oshie? Trending in the wrong direction too.
Backstrom? He's OK for now.
Carlson? Good enough as #1D? Niskanen the same?
Orlov as top pair?
Orpik as top-4?
Bura as 20-20 scorer?
Vrana as permanent top-6 player?

Do you see some participation mode banner as the limit in their future?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Don't you think too many ppl in Caps organization are in participation mode? Starting with Leonsis.

Also, some of them are not good enough in their roles.

Take 9,5M captain also known as elite winger. Is he good enough on the ice? He's trending down.
Is Kuzy good enough as #1 center?
Oshie? Trending in the wrong direction too.
Backstrom? He's OK for now.
Carlson? Good enough as #1D? Niskanen the same?
Orlov as top pair?
Orpik as top-4?
Bura as 20-20 scorer?
Vrana as permanent top-6 player?

Do you see some participation mode banner as the limit in their future?

I don't see anything indicating that Oshie is trending in the wrong direction. His numbers suggest that he's still the same Oshie we had last year. The others are questionable, but then again, most teams can question their players.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
How can anyone question Oshie when game in game out he is the most hustling crazy man on the ice?

Also, I don't like them sitting Vrana either. If it is only one game, ok, but more than that, fireable offense.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don't see anything indicating that Oshie is trending in the wrong direction. His numbers suggest that he's still the same Oshie we had last year. The others are questionable, but then again, most teams can question their players.

They all look like zombies out there. It took them 18 minutes to get a shot on goal.
Either all these players have lost their skill/will to live or there's another problem...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
They all look like zombies out there. It took them 18 minutes to get a shot on goal.
Either all these players have lost their skill/will to live or there's another problem...

They haven't lost their skill or will. They had a bad game. It happens even to the best teams. We are no longer the best or second best team in the league, we're just an average team. Everyone needs to adjust to that, from the coaching staff to the players. We can't win on skill alone like we did the past two years.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
At some point the fact that a bunch of players underperforming falls on the coach. Backstrom, Oshie, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Vrana, Burakovsky, Wilson to an extent, Beagle, Orlov, and Carlson to an extent all look like they have taken steps back this year, or haven’t taken expected steps forward. It’s not the case of one or two young players struggling, its basically every important skater.

Reactions: CapsRuinedMySleep

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
How can anyone question Oshie when game in game out he is the most hustling crazy man on the ice?

Also, I don't like them sitting Vrana either. If it is only one game, ok, but more than that, fireable offense.
They haven't lost their skill or will. They had a bad game. It happens even to the best teams. We are no longer the best or second best team in the league, we're just an average team. Everyone needs to adjust to that, from the coaching staff to the players. We can't win on skill alone like we did the past two years.
i agree that we can no longer win on skill alone. We do have to start playing better as a team.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY

A bad game? All but 3 or 4 games this season have been bad games even the ones they have won. They had 2 measly SOG vs the Islanders in the 3rd period and somehow won by the skin of their teeth.

They all look like ass and its not a coincidence. :nono:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
A bad game? All but 3 or 4 games this season have been bad games even the ones they have won. They had 2 measly SOG vs the Islanders in the 3rd period and somehow won by the skin of their teeth.

They all look like ass and its not a coincidence. :nono:

There's a difference between winning by a very narrow margin and getting obliterated like the Flyers or Predators game. An average team has ups and downs and in the middle, a lot of game won by a narrow margin. That's the reality of the parity league.

We forgot what it was like because we were ultra dominant for the past two years. I'll assure you that most teams win a good portion of their games without ever being dominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad