Post-Game Talk: Capitals visiting Trotz (1PM ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
He won the goddamned Stanley Cup on June 7th 2018. Sure, he seems to be declining; SamSOnov is much better right now. But half of you clowns are talking about him like he’s a piece of trash.

It’s a bunch of internet posters having a verbal field day on the starting goalie on the best team in the league. This guy has had a humongous impact on this franchise, and on our lives.

I get it. He’s played poorly for a large part of the year and he’s most likely on the decline. The amount of relish some of you are taking in pointing this out is quite frankly pitiful, repetitive and ****ing annoying. It’s on every page of every freaking thread for Pete’s sake.

It’s clear as day that Reirden is taking the slow approach to grooming SamSOnov so we have two options when the time comes. Completely abandoning Holtby and potentially overworking the rookie is a stupid idea, especially with the cushion we currently enjoy.

That’s what happening. We’re being coached by an intelligent human being. Shut up and deal with it.
Agreed. I still think Holts is the guy in the playoffs, and I think he’ll bounce back like he did in 2018.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
He won the goddamned Stanley Cup on June 7th 2018. Sure, he seems to be declining; SamSOnov is much better right now. But half of you clowns are talking about him like he’s a piece of trash.

It’s a bunch of internet posters having a verbal field day on the starting goalie on the best team in the league. This guy has had a humongous impact on this franchise, and on our lives.

I get it. He’s played poorly for a large part of the year and he’s most likely on the decline. The amount of relish some of you are taking in pointing this out is quite frankly pitiful, repetitive and ****ing annoying. It’s on every page of every freaking thread for Pete’s sake.

It’s clear as day that Reirden is taking the slow approach to grooming SamSOnov so we have two options when the time comes. Completely abandoning Holtby and potentially overworking the rookie is a stupid idea, especially with the cushion we currently enjoy.

That’s what happening. We’re being coached by an intelligent human being. Shut up and deal with it.
Amen

Reactions: Todos a la Calle

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Agreed. I still think Holts is the guy in the playoffs, and I think he’ll bounce back like he did in 2018.
I still think holts is the guy too - but I am not confident he will be like he was in 2018.

I hope I’m wrong.... but I’ve been “expecting” him to be good/get back to his elite self awhile now - and it just hasn’t happened.... and doesn’t seem anywhere close.

It’s Korn. Holtby just hasn’t been the same since Korn was gone. When Korn was here he was playing out of his mind - but Trotz also is a defensive heavy coach. Holtby had everything in front of him for success. A experienced D first coach. Elite goalie coach. A damn good D in front of him. Now it’s just different.

IMO caps can still win in playoffs with a average Holtby. They don’t need him to be that good... he just can’t kill us.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

Is it just me or Holtby and Grubauer situation all over again?
We would be stupid to trade Holtby

giphy.gif

Leave Braden Alone!!

kmart

Jan 23, 2008

well... grubauer allowed him to bounce back as he sucked... caps lost the first 2 games in the first round, we all prepared for our yearly bounce. it was a no pressure situation for him in which he gained confidence very quick in each win. that seems to be his problem... the ability is still there, his mental game is not. he already had a couple of good games this season... it might come back again. ideally before the playoffs start.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Y’all can debate about Holtby all day, enjoy the success. I’m wearing my Kuznetsov jersey out at the bar loud and proud. Let’s go caps baby

Reactions: RVACapsFan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Remember when Islanders fans were coping with losing Tavares by telling us that Mathew Barzal was going to better than him, anyway?

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
NO to trading Holtby. Samsonov is one play away from a serious injury and he’s still a very talented goalie. We will let him walk this summer, it will be awkward and kind of suck, but life moves on...

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Have I been disappointed in Holtby this year? Yes. Do I want the Caps to trade him? No. I know he’s capable of GREAT things as he’s shown in the past (2018 playoffs and pretty much every other season + playoffs before). Do I want the Caps to start Samsonov primarily for the rest of the year? Yes. It’s come to a point where Holtby has been mostly bad more then good as of late (as of the 2018 playoffs he had been bad in the 2017 playoffs and 2018 reg season but good pretty much the previous 4 years). He’s unquestionably a good leader and a valuable piece for Ilya to have. His importance to the franchise will never be forgotten by the fans that have been watching for years. But it’s come to a point where he just isn’t performing well enough to warrant the starting gig. There is no shame in that, especially when the “backup goalie” is performing so well (like Gruby in 2018). He should still most likely play nearly 50/50 of the remaining games, but I think it’s pretty clear as of now that Samsonov is our true starter and that the job is his to lose. Just as in 2018, Holtby has been simply outplayed, but regardless, he shouldn’t be traded because he brings invaluable experience and is pretty much the best insurance plan you could ask for. Obviously I believe he is happy he won the cup in 2018, but he seems like a guy that would’ve been ecstatic to win it even if Gruby was the starter. He isn’t a guy that would drag the team’s energy down just because he isn’t starting. He is a true pro and I think he understands at this point just how good Samsonov is... I mean tbh he is pretty much a young Holtby.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
The only reason you keep Holtby the rest of the season is he’s core OG and it could hurt the locker room trading him mid season

His play has done nothing to keep him on our team

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Is it just me or Holtby and Grubauer situation all over again?
Biggest difference is the contract situations, then Gruby was up and Holtby had years left, it was extremely unlikely Gruby would be back, now it’s the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad