Capitals took out a full page ad in the Las Vegas Review-Journal to congratulate the Golden Knights

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think when you’ve reached that point, you’re taking this internet thing too seriously.

This is a classy move on behalf of the Caps organization. What Vegas did was historic, and they’re acknowledging it in a nice way, without any “reading between the lines” jabs.
I'll be sure to stop by the sabers board with kind words after every victory by my team because I'm sure you'll appreciate it.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Nice fake humility, what a way to rub it in while fooling people into thinking well of you!

Possibly ... :sarcasm:

Even if that were accurate, it's win/win on their part!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You'd think after finally winning it they'd want to rub it in everyone's faces but instead they're showing grace and humility. I'm actually surprised
why would they want to rub it in everyones faces?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Don't really think this is needed, the handshake line at the end of the series says enough. I did like David Poile's letter to Trotz, Lambert and Korn though.

Reactions: Still Mighty

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Is even one VGK fan happy to see this ad? This is a really clumsy gesture and could have been better accomplished by making a statement at the draft. I'm sure we'll still see that anyway which just makes this ad all the more pointless.

I trust they had good intentions but I don't see why they bothered.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Lol everyones gotta listen to bill burrs bit about the Blackhawks doing this to the Bruins.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Awesome gesture.

Props to the best team in the western conference. It goes to show you don’t need high end talent to win, just pure hard work. Not that Vegas won, but congrats to them. A team to look out for next season.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Great idea, terribly executed.

"Congrats Vegas fans, you guys had a historic season.

PAID FOR BY THE WASHINGTON CAPITALS, AS YOU CAN SEE BY THE BIG RED BACKGROUND AND CAPITALS LOGO JUST IN CASE YOU WEREN'T AWARE"

If the 2009 Penguins did this same kind of ad with Penguins colors and a big Penguins photo at the bottom, I would have been incredibly frustrated.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
this is pretty much what i read:

HEY EVERYONE LOOK HOW NICE US WASHINGTON CAPITALS ARE! WINNING THE CUP DOES NOT PREVENT US FROM SHOWING GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP :
congratulations to the vgk

Reactions: narfy87

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Way to go Caps. I'm quite happy with everything that has happened since their win.

It did seem odd to do it Caps themed though.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Lots of you are reading this wrong. This is an acknowledgement of the Vegas mass shooting tragedy that bonded that city and the Knights together and made an incredible run.

The ad states #VegasStrong.

It wasnt the journey of a regular run of the mill cup runner up.

Like someone stated earlier, Chicago did the same thing for #BostonStrong after the Boston marathon bombing.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think this is 100% genuine. The Caps basically had a redemption tour for themselves and there's just 100% good feelings around the team right now. This is the sort of thing you feel good about doing when you feel at peace with yourself and the world and just want to share your good vibes.

I also genuinely don't think there's any ill will toward Vegas at all. Vegas was just the team they had to beat in the Finals to win, but Vegas was never the 'enemy'. For Caps fans that's always been Pittsburgh and once those demons were exorcised it was never personal against either Tampa or Vegas.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Great idea, terribly executed.

"Congrats Vegas fans, you guys had a historic season.

PAID FOR BY THE WASHINGTON CAPITALS, AS YOU CAN SEE BY THE BIG RED BACKGROUND AND CAPITALS LOGO JUST IN CASE YOU WEREN'T AWARE"

If the 2009 Penguins did this same kind of ad with Penguins colors and a big Penguins photo at the bottom, I would have been incredibly frustrated.

I'm pretty sure this type of congratulatory letter after the Cup only happened in 2013 (Chicago to Boston) and 2018 (Washington to Las Vegas). I'm not aware of this occurring in other instances. It seems to me there's a very clear reason this occurred for those two cities in those years specifically. The clue is VegasStrong (which appears in the ad) and BostonStrong. I don't think these notes get written without that context.

Last edited:

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Lots of you are reading this wrong. This is an acknowledgement of the Vegas mass shooting tragedy that bonded that city and the Knights together and made an incredible run.

The ad states #VegasStrong.

It wasnt the journey of a regular run of the mill cup runner up.

Like someone stated earlier, Chicago did the same thing for #BostonStrong after the Boston marathon bombing.

Then they should have done it in the days/week immediately following the shooting. This ad is a humble brag and like the above poster said, patting a little kid on the head saying nice try big guy. The overwhelming amount of red says more than the words do. They should have made it gold.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Then they should have done it in the days/week immediately following the shooting. This ad is a humble brag and like the above poster said, patting a little kid on the head saying nice try big guy. The overwhelming amount of red says more than the words do. They should have made it gold.

Utterly ridiculous post. For starters, in the days/weeks after the shooting no one had any clue the VGK would be that good, not even them, so congratulating them is silly.

If you don't know Ted Leonsis, you're just being a cynical twirp. Leonsis doesn't have a braggadocios bone in his body, and nothing at all in the entire post mentions the actual Cup final. Just all the incredible accomplishments that Vegas did achieve.

Finally, when you send a message to someone else, do you always do it in their letterhead, or your own? That's absurd. This message is meant to honor Vegas, from the Caps. Its red, because its from the Caps.

If the Caps wanted to rub it in the picture would have been the Caps hoisting the Cup, not players shaking hands.

Some people just need something to complain about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad