Confirmed with Link: Capitals to VA is dead. DC decides to pay $515 million dollars to upgrade capital one

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
It’s been that way for 25 years for me….I drive from Loudoun County….leave by 5 to safely arrive and park before a 7pm game. Some days traffic is moving and you’re there early enough to grab a quick bite to eat before, some days you’re rushing to get in before the anthem. Game ends by 930-10, home by 1030-11.

And Md fans probably don’t….but….tough. If that means you won’t be fan so be it. Some day I’ll retire away from this area and will NEVER attend games, but that won’t stop me following this team. Comes off as spoiled to me….
Where did I say I would stop following or watching the games on tv? Honestly dc and Alexandria are fine. I just don’t want to go to Tyson’s. And it’s funny 5 miles further has been mentioned a couple times but that 5 miles is route 1 thru the mixing bowl which is usually pretty bad around the usual game times. The not getting home till 11 1130 is just me getting older and getting up at 4 for work. When your young the clock doesn’t matter.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Where did I say I would stop following or watching the games on tv? Honestly dc and Alexandria are fine. I just don’t want to go to Tyson’s. And it’s funny 5 miles further has been mentioned a couple times but that 5 miles is route 1 thru the mixing bowl which is usually pretty bad around the usual game times. The not getting home till 11 1130 is just me getting older and getting up at 4 for work. When your young the clock doesn’t matter.
Agreed, that’s why I no longer have season tickets….I can watch on tv and thoroughly enjoy the game…handful of games a year tops for me…you just wrote it like “well fine, you move, I’m out”….when the reality is you could still make some games, you just plan for it…

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Commander fans have still had to go into Maryland to see their garbage team play, in a garbage stadium, with an awful walk too get their if they aren't parking in the awful parking setup.

Right, and the gameday culture was utterly decimated in the process.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
This is just gross - even discounting the massive bubble of cluelessness, greed and entitlement that most pro sports owners exist in:

“Virginia lawmakers may build an arena financed with an unprecedented revenue stream: personal income taxes of the workers employed at the arena“.

Like,the fact that Monumental no commented the idea that the arena’s janitors and food service folks should pony up, instead of saying are you f***ing kidding this idea makes Mr Burns in The Simpsons look like Mother Theresa. This just gets more puke-worthy by the day

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Right, and the gameday culture was utterly decimated in the process.
That probably had more to do with how awful the team's been then anything else. Game day was fun up until like 07, and the stadium was still fullish up until probably the middle of the 10s.

They also moved much farther then five miles.

Reactions: John Price

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
That probably had more to do with how awful the team's been then anything else. Game day was fun up until like 07, and the stadium was still fullish up until probably the middle of the 10s.

Imo a lot of things contributed to the death of the redskins game day experience.

Traffic (which Leonsis seems determined to replicate)

Blasting commercials during tv time outs

Milking customers for every penny

Moving away from the city

Crappy food

Poorly run team with terrible results

Stadium too big

Etc.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I went to FedEx once 20 years ago, and there were f***ing pillars blocking my view. It took forever getting in and out. The food cost a week's pay. f*** that place.

capitaljohn

Jun 18, 2023
This is just gross - even discounting the massive bubble of cluelessness, greed and entitlement that most pro sports owners exist in:

“Virginia lawmakers may build an arena financed with an unprecedented revenue stream: personal income taxes of the workers employed at the arena“.

Like,the fact that Monumental no commented the idea that the arena’s janitors and food service folks should pony up, instead of saying are you f***ing kidding this idea makes Mr Burns in The Simpsons look like Mother Theresa. This just gets more puke-worthy by the day
Not saying I agree with the idea, but it’s not costing the workers anything … it just diverts where their taxes go.

Nats deal has sales taxes on tickets pay for bonds, surprised that isn’t part of this “deal”

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
If somehow they make the parking so the fans can have tailgate partys that would be cool.
That kind of fun is a thing of the past. Few ruined it for many and cities, teams and whatever aren’t going to allow the law suits, crime and bad press happen

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I went to FedEx once 20 years ago, and there were f***ing pillars blocking my view. It took forever getting in and out. The food cost a week's pay. f*** that place.
Only one game for me and it was some time beteen 2000-2010. A bandmate that was not long for the band at the time family was a season ticket holder so went to one game on the club level I believe it was called. Seats were fine but I though the comfortable couchs and large flat screen TVs in the concourse were a better experience..

Sep 19, 2008

Imo a lot of things contributed to the death of the redskins game day experience.

Traffic (which Leonsis seems determined to replicate)

Blasting commercials during tv time outs

Milking customers for every penny

Moving away from the city

Crappy food

Poorly run team with terrible results

Stadium too big

Etc.

Only one game for me and it was some time beteen 2000-2010. A bandmate that was not long for the band at the time family was a season ticket holder so went to one game on the club level I believe it was called. Seats were fine but I though the comfortable couchs and large flat screen TVs in the concourse were a better experience..
The second the team wins 10+ games and the #2 pick works out that place will be packed.

Not going to lie though the gameday experience sucks, but at least there were 90k or more fans singing HTTR at the game.

I've been going regularly since 2015 and no, it's not like that anymore. Yes, years of shit have degraded the fans. But the second they win 10+ for the first time since 1991 the fans will be back :laugh:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Not saying I agree with the idea, but it’s not costing the workers anything … it just diverts where their taxes go.

Nats deal has sales taxes on tickets pay for bonds, surprised that isn’t part of this “deal”

So then in effect, it siphons tax money from other (non arena workers) tax payers to make up the difference from losing the arena employees contributions to the general fund? Or it just reduces the general fund by the diverted amounts? It all seems like a stupid shell game then.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Winning cures all….

So then in effect, it siphons tax money from other (non arena workers) tax payers to make up the difference from losing the arena employees contributions to the general fund? Or it just reduces the general fund by the diverted amounts? It all seems like a stupid shell game then.
Total shell game….just because these types of revenue haven’t been traditionally used for this….first time for everything….

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Anybody remember the south park skit with BP gas saying "we're sorry" over and over again about the oil spill? I get that same vibe watching the Ted/Zach leonsis commercials on monumental Network about the possible new arena.

Reactions: John Price

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
But why? It seems like such a common sentiment from Marylanders and it seems like such a ridiculous stance to me. It's 5 miles south, and that's gonna hurt MD fandom? It's too far to traverse?

VA Cap fans spent years going into Maryland to see bad teams play. Commander fans have still had to go into Maryland to see their garbage team play, in a garbage stadium, with an awful walk too get their if they aren't parking in the awful parking setup.

And for someone who's had to go into DC for work often enough, DC traffic was already a nightmare. A bad day at the Yard isn't going to be any worse then a bad day in DC.

It is 4 miles away as the crow flies, but in reality it is a solid half hour, and during evening rush, more like and hour + for anyone making the drive from DC (except those who live in SW DC) and MD as well as anyone coming from any area not immediately around Del Ray or "Potomac Landing" and for anyone planning on taking the metro, it is at least a half hour of added time each way (again, except for those who live on the yellow line south of Gallery Place)

In other words, for anyone who doesn't live in the immediate area, the transportation and relative additional time, particularly on weeknight games are basically a non starter. I know for me, my ticket group and the folks around us who have been consistent plan holder since the Cap Centre, NONE of us are renewing to travel to PY. My friends who have Wizards tickets (yes, there are some of those) are in the same boat. I just don't see many DC and MD ticket holders anecdotally, who will be making the move.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
but in reality it is a solid half hour, and during evening rush, more like and hour + for anyone making the drive from DC (except those who live in SW DC) and MD as well as anyone coming from any area not immediately around Del Ray or "Potomac Landing" and for anyone planning on taking the metro, it is at least a half hour of added time each way
This is just patently false worst and hyperbolic at best
I just don't see many DC and MD ticket holders anecdotally, who will be making the move.
Then they're soft, and I question their fandom.

For like the 3rd time, it is wild too me how Virginians were totally capable of making trips for decades but slightly inconveniencing Marylander's or DCers and it's the end of the world.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
This is just patently false worst and hyperbolic at best

Is it?

I live in that immediate area.

During a time of no traffic, that drive can take as little as 15 minutes - from China town to Del Ray.

But during rush hour it averages about 45 minutes.

I do that exact drive 100 days a year (Del Ray to route 1 to 395 to 14th street). I've tested this rather extensively (except not with the added Arena traffic of course).

What is it you think I've got wrong here?

For like the 3rd time, it is wild too me how Virginians were totally capable of making trips for decades but slightly inconveniencing Marylander's or DCers and it's the end of the world.

It's not the same though. There is no bottle neck getting to the center of Washington DC. There are exits in all directions.

From Potomac Yard there is no significant transportation infrastructure in any direction except North. Old Town is South. The river is east. Jammed up neighborhoods are to the west.

So the drive to get to Potomac yard is not likely to be as forgiving as the other way around IMO.

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Is it?

I live in that immediate area.

During a time of no traffic, that drive can take as little as 15 minutes - from China town to Del Ray.

But during rush hour it averages about 45 minutes.

I do that exact drive 100 days a year (Del Ray to route 1 to 395 to 14th street). I've tested this rather extensively (except not with the added Arena traffic of course).

What is it you think I've got wrong here?

It's not the same though. There is no bottle neck getting to the center of Washington DC. There are exits in all directions.

From Potomac Yard there is no significant transportation infrastructure in any direction except North. Old Town is South. The river is east. Jammed up neighborhoods are to the west.

So the drive to get to Potomac yard is not likely to be as forgiving as the other way around IMO.
I saw it mentioned as a possibility of having ramps to GW Parkway for the new arena complex would that modulate your traffic opinion.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I saw it mentioned as a possibility of having ramps to GW Parkway for the new arena complex would that modulate your traffic opinion.

yeah I saw that too. IMO it may help a bit post game but not so much pre game.

The parkway goes south into old town and north to 395. Old town isn't equipped to relieve any significant traffic. So the parkway would be a bit of added space traffic-wise that they could useful for the crowds exiting games, but that's not really the concern. It's the commingling rush hour with pre-game traffic that would suck. And the parkway is already clogged during those times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad