Confirmed with Link: Capitals sign Jonsson-Fjallby (UPD BACK TO HERSHEY)

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'd argue the AHL is unquestionably better then the SHL. So if he plays here he's playing stiffer competition and definitely closer to a call up then he is hanging out in Europe. I guess the question is whether you think a prospect need's to be challenged more or learn how to "be the guy" more. I think AJF is a player that'd need the challenge as I don't think he'll be a top 6 dynamo if he makes the league, so he'll need to learn to play the tougher and grittier game that the AHL can teach in spades.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'd argue the AHL is unquestionably better then the SHL. So if he plays here he's playing stiffer competition and definitely closer to a call up then he is hanging out in Europe. I guess the question is whether you think a prospect need's to be challenged more or learn how to "be the guy" more. I think AJF is a player that'd need the challenge as I don't think he'll be a top 6 dynamo if he makes the league, so he'll need to learn to play the tougher and grittier game that the AHL can teach in spades.

AJF's game is all out all the time and I don't think "tougher and grittier" exist in the NHL anymore. His board work is good for a 20 year old and he comes out of the scrum with the puck a lot more than he doesn't. He needs to work on his passing and first touch, which I see as his biggest weaknesses.

His only reason to stay here are the Caps tell him he will be an early call-up, which I doubt they will and which he really doesn't deserve yet.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yep, the primary perk of Hershey is the chance for a recall.

Otherwise, adjusting to the rink size is bunk. A hockey player can play effectively on a pond or on a basketball court or a roller rink.

The big thing for moving to a smaller rink? Maybe bulking up to prepare to be hit more often.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, it's still hockey but the smaller rink is different. There's less time and space everywhere. It makes a difference especially defensively for a player like AJF, esp. given how central making good defensive wall plays are for this team. D will crash down on him with way more regularity. He'll adapt pretty quickly but that's part of the process of generally speeding up his game further and maturing overall. Potentially playing three games in three nights and getting used to a different country are all other challenging aspects of AHL life that he won't get in the SHL. He could perhaps develop his open ice game more in the SHL but that at least partially revolves around his TOI and we'll see what sort of usage Hershey has in store for him. Overall, though, there shouldn't be any question that the AHL will allow for a more seamless transition in time. It's not just the smaller rink but also playing what should be a fairly similar system and a much more hands-on approach in terms of where they need him to develop.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Good stuff as usual Langer

Yep - systems and time with future teammates forming chemistry is a good thing for kids in Hershey. One negative. Say he doesn't do well in Hershey - it is probably going to come down to scoring points. Versus say dominating in Sweden for another year. Maybe a swedish coach can get through to him better, or afford him more quality TOI. I feel like for him now another year in Sweden allows for a more logical development path as we are jack stacked and filled to the brim with guys he is competing against, who have no where else to go. Graduate school? If he fails in Hershey, there is no where else to go but home.

And of course toiling in the AHL is not a guarantee of becoming a better player. He will likely be behind the career AHLers and Barber Gersich Boyd etc in the glory roles - top line and PP.

I hope he dominates in Hershey. I love seeing prospects sooner than later.

I still think the much bigger adjustment is for our plodding orgish north americans being forced to play on larger ice surfaces. A quick guy on smaller ice, to me ultimately it just comes down to durability. As hitting is removed from the game however (Hi Tom), it is less a concern than ever. The game is faster on a smaller rink but a shifty fast player should do just fine, until he gets caught with his head down. So there is an adjustment there, more of survival mode. Fight or flight.

The biggest adjustment is likely cultural. Beer. He probably likes beer. Do you like beer? I have been known to have the occasional beer. And hard ciders. It must be mind boggling for the kids coming over to learn their drinking privileges are revoked. Fake ID it is. And where the hell can he get fresh herring?

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The biggest adjustment is likely cultural. Beer. He probably likes beer. Do you like beer? I have been known to have the occasional beer. And hard ciders. It must be mind boggling for the kids coming over to learn their drinking privileges are revoked. Fake ID it is. And where the hell can he get fresh herring?

This is why I stick around the board... for the hockey insight like this that you just can't get anywhere else :D:thumbu:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I LIKE BEER

At least in the short-term, there should be a top nine spot for him. Walker & Megna remain up with the Caps and Bau & Ikonen are injured (along with Mitchell). Shumakov will take a spot and maybe a guy like Morin could as well depending on their priorities. But there should still be a top nine spot for him initially with adequate PKTOI. He should have a chance to establish himself as a valuable piece out of the gate. If he can regularly get his shot off he ought to produce, though I'd think Carbery would echo the general sentiment that it's not all about points (the Right Way and all that). It's possible he could be pushed down to the fourth line eventually but even then you'd hope it's heavily used. He probably won't be a PP guy but there should be good opportunity otherwise.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hope he gets some chances to pay in offensive situations in Hershey, even if he doesn't proejct to be a powerplay guy in Washington. I want him to develop more patience with the puck, and that often requires simply spending more game time with the puck on your stick. Hockey IQ isn't something you can really work on in practice to the same extent as technical skills and formations. Granted, he can still become a Jason Chimera-like player with stone hands and PK ability, but I'd like to see fill in somewhere between Andrew Cogliano or Miles Wood (bigger than Cogs, smaller than Wood).

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

:laugh::laugh:

p.s. Is there a more perfectly genetic person than AJF? ;)

Needs better hands.
david-duchovny148.jpg

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You might be onto something as when one researches via the darknet the dirty truth of Hershey, PA is their deep, cultural hatred of those of Swedish decent. I mean they have deep state ordinances for the police to racially profile white, blond, Caucasians whom are late blooming physically and generally not able to grow truly manly beards (ok Zetterberg is the one exception).

Dont forget the long hair. Long Hair (aka "the mullet") is severely frowned upon in areas like middle and western PA, and is definitely something one can be arrested for.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I've played on both sized rinks a lot. I prefer the smaller, you can play better defense and don't have to skate as much.

Im all for these guys learning to play smaller hockey in the AHL. Hockey is a game of inches and muscle memory. The more reps you get learning angles and puck bounces will only make the NHL ready sooner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad