Confirmed with Link: Capitals sign Jonsson-Fjallby (UPD BACK TO HERSHEY)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Segenhauler (I know I butchered that one) had some things going on and bounced back home a couple times. Everything seems to be working well for him now. I wouldn’t worry too much this year.

Well he’s put in 100+ games in Hershey to just now get his cup of coffee in the NHL.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Well he’s put in 100+ games in Hershey to just now get his cup of coffee in the NHL.

Yeah but 75 of those were last season and 14 this season.

I don’t disagree that ideally he spends the entire year in Hershey but I don’t really have a problem with a 20 year old 5th round pick spending another season at home in a very good league.

Next season he needs to be all in with staying in North America regardless of level though IMO.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
These unheralded players coming out of nowhere to show promise, like Fjallby and Gersich, are ulitimately turning out to be who we thought they were. Marginal.

Reactions: calicapsfan

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Yep, so many got excited about the "shiny new toys" before ever knowing what they could do. Fjallby showed some straight away speed, but not good lateral movement and poor decision making. But many were wanting him in the NHL before the season started. He wasn't a good AHL player during his short stay.
Gersich is improving in Hershey and is showing a better 2 way game and decision making. He has good speed and offensive upside. Spending the year in Hershey is best for him as he wasn't ready for a full season in the NHL probably getting very limited minutes.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Feel like you could see this coming from a mile away. Not a bad player but he volunteered to take a step back developmentally, and I'm sure that what he's supposed to be working on from a Washington perspective is clashing with playing where he is and breaking parts of his game for the time being.

Reactions: calicapsfan

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Well, maybe Fjallby is Rico Fata 2.0 or something, but I see no reason to write Gersich off. Especially since Hershey has been a mess.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I feel like people are writing off these players awfully quickly. There was never a guarantee that they would be NHL material, but taking lumps in their development also doesn't mean they're going to flame out either. Vrana took a lot of lumps in the AHL, including multiple healthy scratches. By no means are their seasons particularly encouraging development, but I'm not going to overreact to 15 games in the SHL without a lot of points. Fjallby is still only a 20 year old playing in a men's league without a ton of ice time. He only had 16 points in 42 regular season games last year before going on a tear in the playoffs. He still has time to develop into something more.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I feel like people are writing off these players awfully quickly. There was never a guarantee that they would be NHL material, but taking lumps in their development also doesn't mean they're going to flame out either. Vrana took a lot of lumps in the AHL, including multiple healthy scratches. By no means are their seasons particularly encouraging development, but I'm not going to overreact to 15 games in the SHL without a lot of points. Fjallby is still only a 20 year old playing in a men's league without a ton of ice time. He only had 16 points in 42 regular season games last year before going on a tear in the playoffs. He still has time to develop into something more.

Feel like you could see this coming from a mile away. Not a bad player but he volunteered to take a step back developmentally, and I'm sure that what he's supposed to be working on from a Washington perspective is clashing with playing where he is and breaking parts of his game for the time being.

Not written off, just a fairly predictable and unnecessary step backwards.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Not written off, just a fairly predictable and unnecessary step backwards.
I haven't watched any of his SHL games. Is there something beyond the box scores that is leading you to that assessment? Or is assumptions based off of the leagues he's playing in? Djurgardens IF is a competitive team in a competitive league. It can be argued that it's a better development environment than a struggling Hershey team that wasn't getting him any guaranteed ice time, either.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I haven't watched any of his SHL games. Is there something beyond the box scores that is leading you to that assessment? Or is assumptions based off of the leagues he's playing in? Djurgardens IF is a competitive team in a competitive league. It can be argued that it's a better development environment than a struggling Hershey team that wasn't getting him any guaranteed ice time, either.

It's based more around what I saw from him here, and it's not about ice time. Put him on the tiny ice where there's not much room to go around people with speed, and he ran himself out of room regularly. His cycling suffered for it, and from a Capitals development standpoint that's something you're going to need to see from him before he has any effective use for the big club. I think all the time spent here gave him a much more detailed understanding of where he needed to improve to move forward here, but trying to reconcile his marching orders here with the way the game is played over there is an unnecessary complication.

On one hand there's wanting to do what's best for you and your development, and on the other there's wanting to play the best game you can for your team, and stylistically the two don't always mesh.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I usually don't mind at all when European players stay/go back home to develop but Axel should've stayed in PA. He was already here so he should've battled through whatever it was that was bugging him to go home so bad. Now it seems like he's neither here nor there. And yes I still see him on the Caps soon!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He was probably injured; or had a daily hungover from playing catchup, after being in a country where he couldn't drink legally.... anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad